Author Topic: Tre Waters signs 2 way contract with Celtics  (Read 2633 times)

Re: Tre Waters signs 2 way contract with Celtics
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 10:39:55 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
So that's both 2 way contracts. Waters and Strus

Wonder if Tacko gets a contract on the 15 man team

I think Tacko is on his way to the D-league.
There’s 50K waiting for him there.   ;)

That's nice, but pales compared to what Tacko would make if any NBA team offers a minimum contract (~$900K) for him.   And given his size and celebrity, he'd probably make 7 figures in the CBA in China easily.

If Danny wants to keep Tacko, he will have to make a trade to open a roster slot.

I was hoping that he'd use the 2-Way deal to keep Tacko and just stash Waters overseas for a year.   Waters isn't going to get any playing time outside Maine anyway on this roster.    Mind you, I absolutely love the kid.  He's a super-creative offensive player and fearless, ferocious defender.  I think he definitely is capable of playing in the NBA.   But we have just way too much depth at quick guard that he's stuck behind.   We can't trade Wanamaker until mid-season because we just signed him.   And Kemba, Smart and Edwards aren't going anywhere.    So there just won't be any minutes for Waters unless a couple of guys get injured.

So at this point, Danny has to make a hard decision on whether he's going to continue with Yabusele and/or Semi.   They are essentially the only pieces that he can realistically trade in order to create a roster spot without touching one of the 'big guns' on the rosters.   Looking at the roster make up, it's also very hard to see how both those guys can get a lot of minutes.   They are squeezed between the number of bigs on the roster who are just plain 'bigger' and the number of 'big wings' on the roster who are far more skilled.  Especially with the addition of Grant Williams, who projects to be a better version than either of Yabu or Semi.    So while I can see keeping one of them, I just don't see how there is going to be enough minutes for both.

I was high on both players before they were drafted and anticipated Danny picking each of them.   I still think they each are potentially interesting and useful NBA players.  But it may be that it just didn't work out for one of them to stay here.   A big factor in the success outcome of a draft pick is opportunity.

Yabu's been kept around so far on the argument that his contract could be used as salary matching in a trade.    And that's a legit reason.   But if you don't have something more interesting to trade it for than the potential of keeping Fall, you might as well trade it for roster room.    It would probably cost a decent 2nd round pick to move him to a team with cap space.

All that said, Danny is obviously a creative and ingenious guy.    He could still pull out some strange unexpected roster magic that no one sees coming.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Re: Tre Waters signs 2 way contract with Celtics
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Glad they gave Waters the last 2-way. He's a better basketball player than Tacko Fall or Javonte Green.

If they feel strongly about keeping Tacko, there are other options for creating a spot for another center.

There is likely to be some serious load management in Kemba Walker's future, which means that having a competent small guard in the waiting is a really good idea.