Author Topic: Rotation that we are rooting for  (Read 7593 times)

Re: Rotation that we are rooting for
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 08:21:59 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Kemba 34/Smart 14
Brown 24/Smart 14/Langford 10
Hayward 24/Tatum 10/Brown 10
Tatum 24/Hayward 10/GWilliams 14
Kanter 26/RWilliams 12/Theis 10

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2019, 08:28:50 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I agree with Rondofan. Starters should be Kanter, Hayward, Tatum, Brown and Walker. This is a pretty small lineup, especially at PF. They will have to play great team defense. Rotational contributors will be Smart, G. Wil. , Theis and Edwards. I see Wannamaker, Poirier, Semi, Langford and R. Wil. as essentially non factors, but hope I'm wrong about Semi and R.Wil.  Yabu will be traded. The Celtics will need to acquire an upgrade at center ... a rim protecting big, who can rebound, if they want to be a legit contender.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2019, 08:36:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Kemba 34/Smart 14

Two wings playing out of position and an undersized rookie.  Wow.

I think we are going to need to play Theis at PF (as a big) way more than you would want as I don't think Tatum and Hayward give us enough size.  It is the lesser of two evils, play the more talented players out of position or the less talented players that have the size we need.

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 09:06:57 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
All I know is:

- One of Smart of Hayward will need to come off the bench, because you need a second-unit ballhandler/distributor. I think it will be Smart.
- Kanter will start, unless Poirier shows something truly special in preseason (which I doubt). If you're only going to start one big next to three wings (Brown, Tatum, and Hayward), then that big better be a beefy type who can rebound and body up other bigs under the basket.
- Grant Williams will not start but will play major minutes for this team, just like Smart did in his rookie season. Expect him to play the 5 in a lot of small ball lineups, and look perfectly adequate doing so.

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 09:07:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Kid scores 20 points in his first competitive NBA game, but some fans think injured Langford is ahead of him?  What did you expect Edwards to do?

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 09:17:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
in his first competitive NBA game,
This does not describe summer league accurately, so don't go too nuts.

I do believe that due to his injury and the shooting tweaks Langford will probably come along slower than I'd like. But his shot needs fixing and his hand needs to heal, so not much to do about it.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Kid scores 20 points in his first competitive NBA game, but some fans think injured Langford is ahead of him?  What did you expect Edwards to do?
Grow?  Pass the ball?  I’m not nearly as impressed by 20 pts on 17 shots as some people.

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Grow?  Pass the ball?  I’m not nearly as impressed by 20 pts on 17 shots as some people.
Passing in summer league?  ;D

I don't mind him gunning given his skill set though, its who he is. I'm more annoyed with Williams taking jumpers and Yabu looking like he is out of shape and not focused.

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Passing in summer league?  ;D

I don't mind him gunning given his skill set though, its who he is. I'm more annoyed with Williams taking jumpers and Yabu looking like he is out of shape and not focused.
He's a scorer not a point guard. I think he can help the team spotting up and hitting 3's in transition. He probably will play next to Hayward or Smart so he doesn't have to do the ball handling.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
My point is that Langford had zero minutes, zero shots, zero points and, by the way, also needs to "grow" and "pass the ball".  Remarkably some people already put him in the rotation and ignore Edwards.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Kemba 34/Smart 14
Semi is going to find minutes, Brad started him in playoff games, I think Semi has earned minutes. Last year the Celtics didn't have any players who played 34 minutes so I bet if you move the starters down a couple minutes each then Semi could cover those minutes.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I'm not rooting for any particular lineup.

But this notion that a healthy Gordon Hayward is coming off the bench is laughable. He's possibly the best player on the team, certainly the best wing if he's right.

There's nowhere for CBS to turn initially but to a lineup of Walker/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Kanter.

I think over the course of the season, Edwards and GWilliams will fight their way into the rotation, if they're not there from the start. I'm not expecting much from Langford. He's green, missing the summer, and rehabbing an injury. I don't think he'll get many minutes.

I think RWilliams will get junk time only, for the most part. He's just too green. OTOH, I think the frenchman is going to be big for us, and will get most of the big minutes that don't go to Kanter.

I can see the minutes breaking out something like this:

Walker 32
Tatum 32
Brown 32
Hayward 32
Smart 32
Kanter 20
Poirier  20
GWilliams 15
Edwards 15
RWilliams 10

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 10:21:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
All I know is I hope Boston adds another big man because when trying to come up with a big rotation you realize just how terrible the bigs are on this team.  I mean you have Tatum or Hayward playing out of position at the 4 being backed up by Semi or a rookie in Grant Williams.  Then at center, you have Kanter being backed up by R. Williams and Theis.  Both of those are real problems.  Unless Boston fixes that, I don't think expecting even a 1st round playoff series win is to be expected (certainly could happen, but shouldn't be expected).  The team quite simply is far too small and far too young down low to really be expected to do much of anything.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2019, 10:25:29 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
My prediction

PG Kemba 32mpg, Smart 12mpg, Edwards 4mpg

SG Brown 32mpg, Smart 16mpg

SF Tatum 34mpg, Hayward 14mpg

PF Hayward 20mpg, G Williams 20mpg, Semi 8mpg

C  Kanter 20mpg, R Williams 15mpg, Theis 13mpg
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

We are hoping that this is the rotation by the end of the year, right?

Starters: Kemba – Jalen – Jayson – Grant Williams – Robert Williams

if Grant Willliams is our starting PF we are in deep doo doo.   I am rooting for the guy to succeed but it is a long shot.