Author Topic: Rotation that we are rooting for  (Read 7597 times)

Re: Rotation that we are rooting for
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wouldn't say I'm rooting for but more my prediction.

Kanter
Hayward
Tatum
Brown
Walker

With some quick subs to get Hayward out of the 4 and than back into a switch out between Brown/Tatum/Hayward.

Theis/Time Lord
Semi/ Grant
Smart

do you really think Semi is ahead of Grant ?

*finger wag*  ;D

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yabu back to French league

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 09:46:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Kanter
Hayward
Tatum
Brown
Walker

With some quick subs to get Hayward out of the 4 and than back into a switch out between Brown/Tatum/Hayward.

Theis/Time Lord
Semi/ Grant
Smart

*finger wag*  ;D

Poirier is going to get minutes unless it turns out the game is too fast for him.

Edwards is going to get minutes as an off guard on the second unit, with Smart handling the ball. CE has the potential to be a stronger Shane Larkin on D (pesky, high-energy) and an off-the-ball microwave scorer on the other end. Coming off picks and takng handoffs to score for a second line that's otherwise going to have a lot of trouble creating buckets. (Remember iso mook?)

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 09:48:18 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I’d be surprised to see Gordon coming off the bench. If we’re paying a guy $35m to come off the bench and he’s not even 30 yet I think it’s a poor use of funds. Last season you could understand, it was a deep team and he was coming off a bad injury. I don’t think there are any excuses this year. If he can’t win a starting spot because the position is crowded Danny needs to move him ASAP. The only exception would be if he came off the bench to soothe other players egos and have them start, but played starter level minutes in the high 20s into the 30s. If he’s still on the bench playing 22min a game by the end of November then I think he’s a bust.

I’m expecting him to provide a lot of leadership and guidance for this young team. In fact I think he should be looking for an All Star spot in a weak East as a key player for the Celtics, based on the player he was. I think anything less than that will be a disappointment.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:55:06 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 09:51:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Top 6 is easy -- Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Kanter, Smart

The remaining 9 guys are competing for 3-4 spots in the rotation by the time the playoffs roll around.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 10:33:59 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

Kanter
Hayward
Tatum
Brown
Walker

Theis/Time Lord
Semi/ Grant
Smart

*finger wag*  ;D

I do.

One of those guys is an experienced NBA player who has proven himself over 2 years and 23 playoff games.  A guy who has spent meaningful minutes defending guys like Lebron, Giannis and Ben Simmons on the biggest stage - and doing a pretty good job of it too.

The other is a rookie who has yet to play a single NBA minute or even show he's capable of playing at an NBA level.

Outside of top 10 lottery picks like Smart, Brown and Tatum this Celtics team has historically tended to give minutes to proven veterans by default, and has forced rookies to earn any and all playing time.  I don't expect this year to be any different.

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

Kanter
Hayward
Tatum
Brown
Walker

Theis/Time Lord
Semi/ Grant
Smart

*finger wag*  ;D

Poirier is going to get minutes unless it turns out the game is too fast for him.

Edwards is going to get minutes as an off guard on the second unit, with Smart handling the ball. CE has the potential to be a stronger Shane Larkin on D (pesky, high-energy) and an off-the-ball microwave scorer on the other end. Coming off picks and takng handoffs to score for a second line that's otherwise going to have a lot of trouble creating buckets. (Remember iso mook?)

That bold part right there scares the beejesus out of me. 

There is nothing that frightens me more then Marcus Smart having the ball in his hands on a second unit that lacks experienced scorers.

That pretty much opens the door for us to see a hell of a lot more of the "terrible-shot-jacking, off-the-foot-dribbling" Smart that I fear so much.  And that version of Smart tends to lose Boston a lot of games.

I much prefer Smart playing among a lineup of 3 or 4 highly capable scorers and ball handlers so that all he needs to do is play hard defense and spot up for open threes when he gets them.  That is the version of smart that tends to win Boston a lot of games.

As hard as it is to accept, I really believe that this Celtics team will win the most games by starting Marcus Smart at SG and bringing Brown off the bench as the 6th man.  Granted we don't have another proven backup PG - however I am OK with Hayward being the point-forward when Kemba sits.

I also wouldn't be against Boston bringing back Avery Bradley.  He just got waived by the Grizzlies, and I actually think his work ethic and veteran leadership, combined with his 3+D ability, would really nicely on the second unit.  At this point of his career, I wonder if he would be wiling to sign for the vet minimum.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:45:09 PM by Muzzy66 »

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 10:54:04 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I’d be surprised to see Gordon coming off the bench. If we’re paying a guy $35m to come off the bench and he’s not even 30 yet I think it’s a poor use of funds. Last season you could understand, it was a deep team and he was coming off a bad injury. I don’t think there are any excuses this year. If he can’t win a starting spot because the position is crowded Danny needs to move him ASAP. The only exception would be if he came off the bench to soothe other players egos and have them start, but played starter level minutes in the high 20s into the 30s. If he’s still on the bench playing 22min a game by the end of November then I think he’s a bust.

I’m expecting him to provide a lot of leadership and guidance for this young team. In fact I think he should be looking for an All Star spot in a weak East as a key player for the Celtics, based on the player he was. I think anything less than that will be a disappointment.
Ever heard of a sunk cost? We paid him that when he was an all star, the injury was unexpected and we should deal with it instead of screaming "HURR DURR 30 MILLION REASONS" while making a case for him to start. I'd rather him do what you said in the latter part of your post, which is him playing starter minutes as a sixth man. He'd provide much needed shotmaking and passing to the second unit, and play with the starters in crunch time.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Kanter
Hayward
Tatum
Brown
Walker

Theis/Time Lord
Semi/ Grant
Smart

*finger wag*  ;D

I do.

One of those guys is an experienced NBA player who has proven himself over 2 years and 23 playoff games.  A guy who has spent meaningful minutes defending guys like Lebron, Giannis and Ben Simmons on the biggest stage - and doing a pretty good job of it too.

The other is a rookie who has yet to play a single NBA minute or even show he's capable of playing at an NBA level.

Outside of top 10 lottery picks like Smart, Brown and Tatum this Celtics team has historically tended to give minutes to proven veterans by default, and has forced rookies to earn any and all playing time.  I don't expect this year to be any different.

Did you see Grant Williams play yesterday?

the last thing he is, is a lost 1st year rookie

compared to Yabusele , he looks like a 10 year vet out there

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 11:06:18 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kemba/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Kanter

I hope those guys fit like a glove and allows them to be the best versions of themselves for enough time for Ainge to trade Theis/Yabu/and picks for a more legit big man.

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2019, 12:11:22 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Enough firepower in the starting line up, we need a big defensive oriented center that can rebound roll in the open paint and catch lobs...
So here is my ideal rotation:

Starters:

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Hayward
Poirier

Bench:

Edwards
Smart
Semi
Theis
Kanter

3rd string:

Wannamaker
Langford
Strus
G Will
R Will

Get Yabu out of this team!

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2019, 12:15:47 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
STARTERS:
Kemba, Brown, Tatum, G. Will, Kanter

BENCH: 
Smart, Edwards, Hayward, Semi, R. Williams

FINISHERS:
Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward,  X                       

(X = situational, one of Smart, G. Will, or Kanter for now).

EDIT:  I think asking Gordon to be an all-star is silly.  Next year would be the year he might be able to pull off an all-star appearance, if all goes well.  This year, take it easy.  Build your game back up.  Enjoy...that's it...just enjoy playing again. 

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:22:37 AM by wiley »

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 01:31:28 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

After how he looked last year, he should start off the bench. How much he is paid is absolutely irrelevant. Some of this teams problems stemmed form his getting minuets he didn't deserve, so lets see him actually earn them this year. On top of that it makes sense to have him come off the bench as the lead ball handler on the second unit, since we don't wnat Smart trying to cerate offense for himself and it gives him a shot to get in a groove against weaker bench units.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 02:09:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

After how he looked last year, he should start off the bench. How much he is paid is absolutely irrelevant. Some of this teams problems stemmed form his getting minuets he didn't deserve, so lets see him actually earn them this year. On top of that it makes sense to have him come off the bench as the lead ball handler on the second unit, since we don't wnat Smart trying to cerate offense for himself and it gives him a shot to get in a groove against weaker bench units.
I think how he played last season will have less of an impact than how he looks in the preseason and off-season in general to be honest. I think he'll start because I think we need the playmaking that we'll miss without Horford, but there is merit to both arguments
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Top 6 is easy -- Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Kanter, Smart

The remaining 9 guys are competing for 3-4 spots in the rotation by the time the playoffs roll around.
tp, you nailed it
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger