Author Topic: Great Start to the NBA Summer League  (Read 3294 times)

Great Start to the NBA Summer League
« on: July 06, 2019, 10:50:26 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Tough deciding who should get the most credit for the Celtics impressive Summer League debut.

Should it be Danny and his scouting crew? The coaching staff for having the players ready for action? Obviously, the players themselves deserve the bulk of the kudos. Or, maybe Philly isn't fielding their best rookie players? Or, didn't play well? 

Regardless, they were a fun and energetic group to watch. Hopefully, they'll continue to play as well against every opponent.

A few players that caught my eye....

Carsen Edwards looks like is already a steal for a second rounder. He's a tough defender, plays hard, shoots well and can handle the ball. Not sure he'll be much of a rebounder, but time will tell. He sure looked like he'll fit into Brad's rotation.

Tacko Fall - if the first game is any indication on how he affects the game, then it's a non-brainer - HE BELONGS ON THE TEAM! He takes up a lot (a lot) of space. When he drifts into the lane he opens up room for the guards to shoot the ball from the outside - almost like a moving pick. When he's in the lane defenders must stay close to  him. Again opening the lane for cutters and leaving space for outside shooters. There's definitely a heightened synergy between the players when he's on the court.

Robert William - Wow! he looks ready to make the transition from a two minute a game player to one who deserves considerable minutes.

One caveat, he needs to learn when to try to dunk over shot blockers. Maybe the coaching staff could have him work on a variety of moves in tight situation...possibly work on a hook shot or better fakes, etc. 

Tremont Waters - another no-brainer to make this team. He handles the ball better than most seasoned 1's. He can get to almost anywhere on the court he wants. And, he's an excellent passer. He works great with Carsen and visa versa. Plus, he's as scrappy as heck diving after lose balls and disrupting defenses. In my opinion, he's not a two way contract player. He's better than that. I want him to make the team. Of course, I'll reserve judgement until the end of the League schedule.

Grant Williams played well - especially near the end of the game. He's definitely a smart player. Makes great decisions and rebounds well.

Javonte Green also looked very comfortable out there tonight. He deflected passes, made shots, grabbed rebounds, passed well. Didn't look like a rookie...maybe another find (Unfortunately, we can't keep everyone). Again, this was only one game. Let's see if he can keep this up. 

Harrison looked good too... 

Re: Great Start to the NBA Summer League
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 11:20:35 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Why did Max Strus not played?

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 11:23:04 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

I thought I read that he's scheduled to start playing this coming Wednesday. 

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 11:34:13 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

I thought I read that he's scheduled to start playing this coming Wednesday.

Another site has him playing on Monday.

I'm not familiar with Max Strus....perhaps others are not either. Here are a couple links:

"Boston Celtics two-way signee Max Strus went from NCAA D-II to the NBA: ‘Boston (found me), so I’m happy to be here’"

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/07/boston-celtics-two-way-signee-max-strus-went-from-ncaa-d-ii-to-the-nba-boston-found-me-so-im-happy-to-be-here.html

College highlights -2018-2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GujtIR7BcE

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 12:40:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://watch.nba.com/game/20190706/BOSPHI#/boxscore

Yabu 0-4 and -14

Gwill 12 points, 6 reb, 2 stl, 2blk  +21 (team high)

Gwill stealing Yabu lunch right under his eyes...

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 12:47:31 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
notice Brad already has Grant Williams camping out at the three point line. <sigh>
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 01:10:09 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 01:19:35 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
notice Brad already has Grant Williams camping out at the three point line. <sigh>
I didn’t actually notice brad out there coaching.  Must have been an oversight on my part?

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 01:34:28 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Tough deciding who should get the most credit for the Celtics impressive Summer League debut.

Should it be Danny and his scouting crew? The coaching staff for having the players ready for action? Obviously, the players themselves deserve the bulk of the kudos. Or, maybe Philly isn't fielding their best rookie players? Or, didn't play well? 

Regardless, they were a fun and energetic group to watch. Hopefully, they'll continue to play as well against every opponent.

A few players that caught my eye....

Carsen Edwards looks like is already a steal for a second rounder. He's a tough defender, plays hard, shoots well and can handle the ball. Not sure he'll be much of a rebounder, but time will tell. He sure looked like he'll fit into Brad's rotation.

Tacko Fall - if the first game is any indication on how he affects the game, then it's a non-brainer - HE BELONGS ON THE TEAM! He takes up a lot (a lot) of space. When he drifts into the lane he opens up room for the guards to shoot the ball from the outside - almost like a moving pick. When he's in the lane defenders must stay close to  him. Again opening the lane for cutters and leaving space for outside shooters. There's definitely a heightened synergy between the players when he's on the court.

Robert William - Wow! he looks ready to make the transition from a two minute a game player to one who deserves considerable minutes.

One caveat, he needs to learn when to try to dunk over shot blockers. Maybe the coaching staff could have him work on a variety of moves in tight situation...possibly work on a hook shot or better fakes, etc. 

Tremont Waters - another no-brainer to make this team. He handles the ball better than most seasoned 1's. He can get to almost anywhere on the court he wants. And, he's an excellent passer. He works great with Carsen and visa versa. Plus, he's as scrappy as heck diving after lose balls and disrupting defenses. In my opinion, he's not a two way contract player. He's better than that. I want him to make the team. Of course, I'll reserve judgement until the end of the League schedule.

Grant Williams played well - especially near the end of the game. He's definitely a smart player. Makes great decisions and rebounds well.

Javonte Green also looked very comfortable out there tonight. He deflected passes, made shots, grabbed rebounds, passed well. Didn't look like a rookie...maybe another find (Unfortunately, we can't keep everyone). Again, this was only one game. Let's see if he can keep this up. 

Harrison looked good too... 

I loved his hustle and tenacity.  But he looked like a guy who will have a very difficult time finishing in the paint against NBA teams.  I don't think he's a lock to make a roster by any means.

GWill looked great, I definitely look forward to seeing more Tacko to see if he could possibly be an NBA player, and Yabu looks like he doesn't care about his career.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 03:10:00 AM »

Offline Excapegoat

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
I also like Tremont Waters, but not sure if he will make the team. 

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 05:12:31 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tremont waters reminds me of Kendall Marshall

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 07:21:42 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Where was big french guy we just got??
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 07:26:46 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Where was big french guy we just got??
Maybe he doesn't have a visa yet?? I was hoping to see him.

Work visas to the US are hard to get these days, I guess even if you're an NBA player. I'm sure the Celtics are trying to expedite things through Homeland Security though.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 07:36:12 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
https://watch.nba.com/game/20190706/BOSPHI#/boxscore

Yabu 0-4 and -14

Gwill 12 points, 6 reb, 2 stl, 2blk  +21 (team high)

Gwill stealing Yabu lunch right under his eyes...

Yes, the French Zion got off to a slow start, but he's overcoming a language barrier and has to adjust to a new culture. 

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 07:52:26 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Edwards reminds me of someone that I can't quite put my finger on. Kinda Tim Frazier maybe, I dunno? Not a very crafty ball handler but nice and solid, good decisions.

Agree about Javonte Green. He deserves more minutes next game, really good showing. Remaining roster spots/2 way pecking order probably looks like this as of right now:

Edwards
Javonte
Tacko
Waters
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 08:46:53 AM »

Offline donawalt

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 6
Yabusele looked REALLY bad. I really don't think he is going to make the roster this year. His spot could go to Fall or Waters as the 15th guy, shuttling back and forth to Maine. That said, I think Brad will want more front court help (Fall), unless they think Waters beats out Wanamaker there are 4 ball handlers in front of Waters (Walker, Smart, Edwards, Wanamaker).

I am sure I will change my opinion throughout the preseason, but as of know I see the 15 as:

Ball Handlers - Walker, Smart, Wanamaker, Edwards
Wings - Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Ojeleye, Langford
Bigs - Kanter, Poirier, Theis, R. Williams, G. Williams, Fall