Author Topic: Is the East wide open now?  (Read 8731 times)

Re: Is the East wide open now?
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The 76ers run the East right now after their offseason moves.

Josh Richardson, Al Horford, Kyle O'Quinn, keeping Tobias Harris and a Year 4 Ben Simmons. Plus their heart and soul of the team- Joel Embiid.

They will be one tough team to beat.
They have zero iso scorers. Call me in the playoffs when they need a bucket in crunch time and don’t have a player to go to.

Embiid is not an iso scorer?

He can be, but he's never been a closer. He doesn't make quick decisions and his conditioning isn't great, so he struggles late in the game. It's pretty easy to double big men. They don't generally get to take many big shots.

Also this is another thing against all big men, but the refs do kind of swallow their whistles and let a lot of banging happen. I think there were a few times late in games where Philly fans were really frustrated cause they thought embiid got fouled in the final minute

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2019, 02:47:14 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bucks or 76ers

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This is how I have the East ranked

-Milwaukee
-Philly
-Boston
-Brooklyn
-Miami
-Toronto
-Indiana
-Detroit

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2019, 06:33:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
1 Milwaukee
2 Philly

3 Boston
4 Indiana
5 Raptors
6 Nets
7 Heat

8 Bulls

9 Pistons
10 Magic
11 Hawks

12 Wizards

13 Hornets
14 Cavs
15 Knicks

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 07:01:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
1 Milwaukee
2 Philly

3 Boston
4 Indiana
5 Raptors
6 Nets
7 Heat

8 Bulls

9 Pistons
10 Magic
11 Hawks

12 Wizards

13 Hornets
14 Cavs
15 Knicks

I actually have virtually the same list here, though of course depending on who gets Westbrook (MIA? DET?) that could change things a bit. Think the Top-4 is right. Maybe BOS-IND swap positions but I expect they'll both finish with similar records.

Don't think NY is going to be last in the East though lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 07:58:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
as others have said, I think the Bucks and Sixers are a cut above the rest, but they're not so overwhelmingly talented that I can imagine some other team making it to the Finals.

The Bucks are nothing without Giannis, and their supporting cast is thin enough now that if Bledsoe or Middleton has an injury they may be sunk.

The Sixers could be in trouble in crunch time due to their lack of ballhandlers, though adding Horford means they are much less vulnerable to getting wiped out if Embiid has to miss a couple games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
as others have said, I think the Bucks and Sixers are a cut above the rest, but they're not so overwhelmingly talented that I can imagine some other team making it to the Finals.

The Bucks are nothing without Giannis, and their supporting cast is thin enough now that if Bledsoe or Middleton has an injury they may be sunk.

The Sixers could be in trouble in crunch time due to their lack of ballhandlers, though adding Horford means they are much less vulnerable to getting wiped out if Embiid has to miss a couple games.

Yeah, to answer the question, "is the East wide open", I'd say absolutely.

MIL and PHI will be the favorites no doubt out of the East, but as you said, I don't think they are "overwhelming favorites" over some of the other teams right behind them.

In-season trades, signings and/or injuries will also be a factor, plus the impending Westbrook trade likely to MIA/DET which makes the East very interesting.

Horford was a phenomenal get for PHI, but I kind of question their shooting now that Butler + Reddick are gone and assuming Simmons still doesn't know how to shoot. Likewise, every team (including us) has a lot of question marks in certain areas.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

MIL and PHI will be the favorites no doubt out of the East, but as you said, I don't think they are "overwhelming favorites" over some of the other teams right behind them.

In-season trades, signings and/or injuries will also be a factor, plus the impending Westbrook trade likely to MIA/DET which makes the East very interesting.

Horford was a phenomenal get for PHI, but I kind of question their shooting now that Butler + Reddick are gone and assuming Simmons still doesn't know how to shoot. Likewise, every team (including us) has a lot of question marks in certain areas.

If we get a younger, more athletic power forward (basically, almost a younger version of Al) I think we are neck-in-neck with Philly for the 2nd best spot.

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Between Milwaukee And Philadelphia
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

If we get a younger, more athletic power forward (basically, almost a younger version of Al) I think we are neck-in-neck with Philly for the 2nd best spot.

It will be interesting to watch the Celtics play Philly this year.

We are built in a way that should give them trouble. Walker should be able to torch Richardson while reasonably covering him on the other end.

Brown is one of only a handful of guards in the league that has what the size and athleticism to cover Simmons effectively and challenge his defense too. Tatum is a great matchup against Harris.

For us to have a chance, Brown and Tatum would have to outplay Simmons and Harris.

Of course, we should get absolutely murdered by their big men, but it would be interesting to see if Hayward can exploit the Horford matchup.

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Between Milwaukee And Philadelphia

I think so too. I expect Indiana to be strong as well, with Brogdon, Oladipo, Lamb, Warren, Sabonis and Turner they have very good players, but unfortunately for them I don't see a guy that can carry a team in the playoffs.