Author Topic: Perk was going to walk  (Read 4931 times)

Re: Perk was going to walk
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I never hated the deal. It made sense. We needed someone to give pierce/allen rest. Perk was never going to be paid by danny. We had like 40 centers that year

Unfortunately we had 40 injured centers that year.

Honestly, I think if one of them was healthy they would have won in '11. No doubt if the healthy one was Shaq.
The Heat absolutely destroyed the Celtics.  Unless the healthy center was someone like Dwight Howard, Boston was not beating Miami that year. 

And I don't want to hear any garbage about the next season going 7.  Sure, because Chris Bosh didn't play in the first 4 games and barely played in game 5.  he got much closer to normal minutes in games 6 and 7 and the Heat throttled Boston both games. 

The simple truth is the run was over.  The C's were cooked as a real contender the minute James, Wade, and Bosh joined forces.  They had no shot at beating that team.  None at all (especially in a post-KG injury world).  The Jeff Green trade actually probably increased Boston's chances of winning the title that season.  People forget that at the time of the trade Paul Pierce was the only healthy wing on the team as Daniels had just gone down.  Without adding a wing, the team would have gone into a tailspin and Pierce would have been playing so many minutes he would have been toast by the time the playoffs started.

I think you're conflating the 2011 Heat with what they would eventually become. They were very vulnerable and beatable that year. If Shaq was in the form he was in October, the Heat would have had no chance. It would have been a 5 game series the other way.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 02:07:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I never hated the deal. It made sense. We needed someone to give pierce/allen rest. Perk was never going to be paid by danny. We had like 40 centers that year

Honestly, I think if one of them was healthy they would have won in '11. No doubt if the healthy one was Shaq.
The Heat absolutely destroyed the Celtics.  Unless the healthy center was someone like Dwight Howard, Boston was not beating Miami that year. 

And I don't want to hear any garbage about the next season going 7.  Sure, because Chris Bosh didn't play in the first 4 games and barely played in game 5.  he got much closer to normal minutes in games 6 and 7 and the Heat throttled Boston both games. 

And you claim to be a fan. No real fan would confuse a lead going into 4Q of game 7 will getting “throttled”.

We were tied going into the 4th of that game 7 (up by 7 at the half) and the Heat outscored us by 13 in that quarter (and 20 in the half) to win the game. I agree that it was a great game through the 3rd, but they absolutely 'throttled' us in the 4th...and let's not even talk about game 6.

I do think we could have won that series, but things just didn't break right for us at the end. It happens.

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 02:28:49 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

And this is what I always respect about Ainge & Co., their deals, even moving away fan favorites or mid-season trades or both, always make sense.

If IT was fully healthy we could question the Kyrie trade.  Now?  It makes complete sense even after the disaster this year.

I think we will look back at him letting Al Hoford walk in the same way. 

The only major mistake I think Ainge made was letting Tony Allen go on the cheap and having Allen help turn Memphis into a perennial contender, while the Celtics desperately could have used Allen vs. Lebron's Heat.

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 02:32:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The simple truth is the run was over.  The C's were cooked as a real contender the minute James, Wade, and Bosh joined forces.  They had no shot at beating that team.  None at all (especially in a post-KG injury world).  The Jeff Green trade actually probably increased Boston's chances of winning the title that season.  People forget that at the time of the trade Paul Pierce was the only healthy wing on the team as Daniels had just gone down.  Without adding a wing, the team would have gone into a tailspin and Pierce would have been playing so many minutes he would have been toast by the time the playoffs started.

I think you're conflating the 2011 Heat with what they would eventually become. They were very vulnerable and beatable that year. If Shaq was in the form he was in October, the Heat would have had no chance. It would have been a 5 game series the other way.
I'm not conflating anything.  That was a 5 game series (as were all of the Heat series that year until the Mavs in the Finals).  The games generally weren't blow outs, but they weren't 1 possession type games either.  The simple truth is Boston couldn't reasonably guard James or Wade and they didn't have anyone that could take over a game offensively (like Dirk did in the Finals).  The Heat were just too good and Boston (aside from Rondo) was just too old.  If that was the 08 team playing the Heat, then absolutely I think Boston would have been favored to win that series as the big 3 all just had a lot more left in the tank that season.  The following year (2012) the series was closer, but it was because Bosh was out, giving Boston a decided advantage down low.  When Bosh came back and was reasonably healthy the series was over as the Heat were younger, fresher, and quite frankly just better at that point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 02:55:44 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Wasn't that the series where the refs called like 4 techs against us in one game, including one where Ray Allen was literally just walking away and said nothing?

I recall the officiating being heavily stilted in favor of the heat. They were hacking us inside like crazy with no calls but then they were getting FTs on the other end. Then if our guys complained there were more FT's due to T's.

I don't think Stern wanted his new SuperTeam going out so early in the playoffs. Perk wouldn't have helped at all.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 03:01:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Rondo was distraught IMO ,  as i was with the sudden trade of his buddy .  I never ever thought Rondo had the same personality after that .  He was bitter to th core.

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i still hate that deal. they had a chance to win w perk. they gambled on the health of the other guys and lost. even if he was going to walk away they had a chance that year and we should've kept the team together and taken that chance. 
 i do think ainge does an overall great job. this is really the move i liked the least. i think it really cost us that year. it shouldn't have mattered that much that perk would've walked away after the season.

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I'm not conflating anything.  That was a 5 game series (as were all of the Heat series that year until the Mavs in the Finals).  The games generally weren't blow outs, but they weren't 1 possession type games either.  The simple truth is Boston couldn't reasonably guard James or Wade and they didn't have anyone that could take over a game offensively (like Dirk did in the Finals).  The Heat were just too good and Boston (aside from Rondo) was just too old.  If that was the 08 team playing the Heat, then absolutely I think Boston would have been favored to win that series as the big 3 all just had a lot more left in the tank that season.  The following year (2012) the series was closer, but it was because Bosh was out, giving Boston a decided advantage down low.  When Bosh came back and was reasonably healthy the series was over as the Heat were younger, fresher, and quite frankly just better at that point.

The Celtics won game 3, went to OT in game 4 and were within one possession with 1 minute to go in game 5. The difference in 2011 wasn't great. A healthy center makes a huge difference, even if it just means a fresher KG.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

The Celtics won game 3, went to OT in game 4 and were within one possession with 1 minute to go in game 5. The difference in 2011 wasn't great. A healthy center makes a huge difference, even if it just means a fresher KG.

Whoa that “they weren’t 1 possession type games” was incredibly wrong. Thanks for doing the research on that. I think sometimes people say stuff like we can’t look it up. Tp #anothercontrariantakegonewrong

Related moranis: we have all been watching your routine here for about a half a decade, and speaking for myself, I have never seen you admit you said something wrong. You said these games were not one possession games and they objectively were (unless this posters info is inaccurate). Is this finally the one you admit you said something wrong on? Or should we anticipate a long post debTing the meaning of a possession with a few stats from the late 80 bucks? 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:38:03 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 04:40:09 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
To clarify, Perk was going to walk because Danny wouldn’t offer more than $6 million.

I do wonder what would have happened if Danny kept Perk, and then signed-and-traded him after the season.

Yeah, they just didn't want to pay a defensive guy. OKC overbid to get him. Or was he traded to them for Green?  The same thing happened with Posey, another key player for 3s and defense off the bench. NO overbid on him.

So they lost two key guys who were part of their chemistry. But that's what happens when you win a championship and some of your players become FAs. They become popular. I've always wondered how the Warriors could win and hold that team together by wheeling/dealing--and then signing Durant as well. Some teams can go through cap hoops to do that.
As for Ainge, maybe he just has his hands tied by the ownership. You figure the Red Sox' Dombrowski is in a similar position. The owners just draw the line on the cap, and you got to get super creative.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 04:40:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

When Shaq was healthy we were absolutely incredible. I wonder if people forget that

Lol tp for the pm saying I am “doing the lords work” that made my day I
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:52:42 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 05:19:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
i still hate that deal. they had a chance to win w perk. they gambled on the health of the other guys and lost. even if he was going to walk away they had a chance that year and we should've kept the team together and taken that chance. 
 i do think ainge does an overall great job. this is really the move i liked the least. i think it really cost us that year. it shouldn't have mattered that much that perk would've walked away after the season.

Perk wasn't healthy either, keeping him was also a gamble... in the trade we also got a healthy Center to help with our depth/health issues.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 10:43:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Whoa that “they weren’t 1 possession type games” was incredibly wrong. Thanks for doing the research on that. I think sometimes people say stuff like we can’t look it up. Tp #anothercontrariantakegonewrong

Related moranis: we have all been watching your routine here for about a half a decade, and speaking for myself, I have never seen you admit you said something wrong. You said these games were not one possession games and they objectively were (unless this posters info is inaccurate). Is this finally the one you admit you said something wrong on? Or should we anticipate a long post debTing the meaning of a possession with a few stats from the late 80 bucks?

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Perk wasn't healthy either, keeping him was also a gamble... in the trade we also got a healthy Center to help with our depth/health issues.
perk also was never the same post injury. His career faded fast

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

perk also was never the same post injury. His career faded fast

It’s crazy how long he hung around the nba when he could no longer play on the court