Author Topic: Grant Williams a Real Power Forward  (Read 16167 times)

Re: Grant Williams a Real Power Forward
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2019, 03:01:06 AM »

Offline Excapegoat

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
I am impressed his performance.

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2019, 05:46:49 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
GWill had a more impressive debut than Zion Williamson

Zion not only looks overweight but boy he has one ugly shot. Such a low release.  Wants to try dunk everything... but got swatted numerous times

Zion Highlight below
https://youtu.be/uqyVPfR8MTs

Agree.

The Knicks didn't miss out on Zion, they got the clone in Julius Randle.

I just don't see Zion succeeding in the playoffs.
He's just too short.

If Zion is to become a force in the NBA, he has to develop a 3-point shot.

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2019, 07:26:38 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

Zion not only looks overweight but boy he has one ugly shot. Such a low release.  Wants to try dunk everything... but got swatted numerous times

Zion Highlight below

Agree.

He's just too short.

Zion is undersized and won't succeed but G Williams will? Stop this nonsense.

One will be a borderline all star their rookie year the other will get 8 mins a night.
ok fine

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2019, 07:29:04 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Reminds me of a Brandon Bass type player...not a starter because of his size but may give u 10 minutes if u lucky..he a tweener between a PF and a SF
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Reminds me of a Brandon Bass type player...not a starter because of his size but may give u 10 minutes if u lucky..he a tweener between a PF and a SF

He reminds me more of Eric Williams

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2019, 07:45:29 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2019, 07:54:35 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Zion Highlight below

Agree.

He's just too short.

One will be a borderline all star their rookie year the other will get 8 mins a night.

Here's the thing, GWill already has a 3-point shot.

Zion can dominate college kids, but not the NBA big men.

If Zion can develop a 3-point shot and he ends up more Larry Johnson than Julius Randle, I agree Zion would be special.

From what I saw in the summer league, Zion can dominate guys like Kevin Knox, but Zion will be no match for Jokic, Nurkic, Capela, Gobert, and the rest of the NBA bigs.

There's just no way Zion will keep dunking in the NBA like the way he did in college.

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2019, 08:13:41 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Zion Highlight below

Agree.

He's just too short.

If Zion can develop a 3-point shot and he ends up more Larry Johnson than Julius Randle, I agree Zion would be special.

From what I saw in the summer league, Zion can dominate guys like Kevin Knox, but Zion will be no match for Jokic, Nurkic, Capela, Gobert, and the rest of the NBA bigs.

There's just no way Zion will keep dunking in the NBA like the way he did in college.

Zion looks a bit over weight. And he's had two knee injuries in 6 months. Not major, but it most likely has to do how hard he plays at the weight he's at. He probably should lose 20-30 LBS and give it to Tatum.

His pull up jumper is horrible looking, for a guy with that much lift on dunks he can't get up on his jumper, and gets blocked. And he has no other move to the basket except straight line bull drive.

All of this stuff can be fixed, if he's willing to fix it. But Zion could easily be a bust if he doesn't change some things.

« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2019, 08:20:34 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Maybe size wise they are similar, but Williams seems to have a better feel for the game, maybe a better post game, and might be able to stretch out to the 3 point line where Bass never did.

« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2019, 08:29:06 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I love Grant Williams' polish and I.Q...but his combination of a lack of height and lack of verticality is a major problem. Bass was much more athletic than Williams and Draymond is taller and more athletic, I still love the guy but I think it really limits his upside.

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2019, 08:30:48 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
A pretty good article on his performance yesterday.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/07/scouting-grant-williams-how-the-boston-celtics-rookie-forward-fared-in-his-first-summer-league-game.html

l'm so used to seeing recent Celtics draft picks look completely out of their element on a basketball court in Summer League that Grant Williams appears to be a revelation...

Does anyone remember Ryan Gomes or Jared Sullinger's play in Summer League?  I don't, but I'm wondering if they showed similar poise and control of the game early on? 

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2019, 08:38:40 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Yup, this is where I wake up to posts talking about how our late 1st round draft pick is better than the most heralded prospect of the last decade, based on one summer league game.

It almost takes me back to the “Oriene Green: better shooting Jason Kidd” days.

Re: Grant Williams a Real small Power Forward
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think Grant Williams can be part of the players who are the exception to the "rule" of having to be properly sized for a position. He has good qualities to play PF: he's very strong, has good length for his height, has decent speed and is a high IQ player who has the mentality to "play big". The latter imo is the most important, a player having the right mentality for the position will likely be able to apply their strengths well and minimise their weaknesses, such as boxing out, knowing how to play help defense as a post player, making the right decision to roll/pop, crashing the glass, etc. To me Tatum and Hayward lack the necessary mindset to play PF, which is why I'm not in favour of starting Brown/Tatum/Hayward in the forward slots. I'd rather have Hayward be the sixth man and only play small when needed.

Dude is so tiny out there

I'm concerned how small he is. He's the IT of big men.

Lol. He really isn't. Especially in today's NBA, I don't think he will have any problem playing the 4 with his combination of high IQ, elite strength, and decent athleticism.

BArkely wasn't really that big, and he had a decent career, and he played against a better pool of big men than their are right now.

I don't think Williams will be as good as Barkley, but he should carve out a great supporting role type player in the league.

Barkley had a decent career?

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Zion Highlight below

Agree.

He's just too short.

Zion is a media hype. He looked pretty flawed and one dimensional in his opening game. His shot looks awful. Lots to fix.

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2019, 09:11:31 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
We didn't draft GW to be a starter, he will be a serviceable bench player and good locker room guy