Author Topic: Grant Williams a Real Power Forward  (Read 16167 times)

Re: Grant Williams a Real Power Forward
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think Grant Williams can be part of the players who are the exception to the "rule" of having to be properly sized for a position. He has good qualities to play PF: he's very strong, has good length for his height, has decent speed and is a high IQ player who has the mentality to "play big". The latter imo is the most important, a player having the right mentality for the position will likely be able to apply their strengths well and minimise their weaknesses, such as boxing out, knowing how to play help defense as a post player, making the right decision to roll/pop, crashing the glass, etc. To me Tatum and Hayward lack the necessary mindset to play PF, which is why I'm not in favour of starting Brown/Tatum/Hayward in the forward slots. I'd rather have Hayward be the sixth man and only play small when needed.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2019, 11:58:03 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
We might just be looking to play 2 bigs this year. Bringing Hayward, Smart, and Kanter off the bench is a solid 8 man rotation with fillers. Think both Williams will play PF, with one starting along side Porier if he is as advertised. Kemba, Tatum, and Brown would be the scorers in the first unit, with Hayward and Kanter as the bench scorers.

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2019, 12:07:32 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
We might just be looking to play 2 bigs this year. Bringing Hayward, Smart, and Kanter off the bench is a solid 8 man rotation with fillers. Think both Williams will play PF, with one starting along side Porier if he is as advertised. Kemba, Tatum, and Brown would be the scorers in the first unit, with Hayward and Kanter as the bench scorers.

If our bigs are set and stone and he is healthy, I'd bet all my tp's Kanter is the starter. If anyone unseats him, I'd say Rob but even then, Kanter took too little money, they either told him he was starting or he's guaranteed starter minutes.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2019, 12:16:00 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

If our bigs are set and stone and he is healthy, I'd bet all my tp's Kanter is the starter. If anyone unseats him, I'd say Rob but even then, Kanter took too little money, they either told him he was starting or he's guaranteed starter minutes.

I can't see a scenario in which Kanter isn't our starting center. He is head and shoulders better than the rest of the bigs on our roster (which isn't all that impressive of a feat). Kanter proved during Portland's playoff run that he's a solid player and can start on a playoff team; he's not ideal in that he doesn't space the floor or play defense well, but his rebounding and scoring are upper tier skills.

Re: Grant Williams a Real small Power Forward
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think Grant Williams can be part of the players who are the exception to the "rule" of having to be properly sized for a position. He has good qualities to play PF: he's very strong, has good length for his height, has decent speed and is a high IQ player who has the mentality to "play big". The latter imo is the most important, a player having the right mentality for the position will likely be able to apply their strengths well and minimise their weaknesses, such as boxing out, knowing how to play help defense as a post player, making the right decision to roll/pop, crashing the glass, etc. To me Tatum and Hayward lack the necessary mindset to play PF, which is why I'm not in favour of starting Brown/Tatum/Hayward in the forward slots. I'd rather have Hayward be the sixth man and only play small when needed.

Dude is so tiny out there

I'm concerned how small he is. He's the IT of big men.

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2019, 10:12:42 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Lol. He really isn't. Especially in today's NBA, I don't think he will have any problem playing the 4 with his combination of high IQ, elite strength, and decent athleticism.

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2019, 11:06:16 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
His measurables are very close to Jared Dudley, but I don't ever remember Dudley looking so small out there. I expect him to have a similar career.

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2019, 11:07:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His measurables are very close to Jared Dudley, but I don't ever remember Dudley looking so small out there. I expect him to have a similar career.
I don't see this comparison at all. I feel like Williams being 6'7" got exaggerated by the presence of two players 7'4" or taller, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2019, 11:08:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
why? their skills sets seem to be quite different.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2019, 11:12:28 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I like how he wasn't afraid to shoot the 3

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2019, 11:13:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don't see this comparison at all. I feel like Williams being 6'7" got exaggerated by the presence of two players 7'4" or taller, lol.
exactly. Tacko is the tallest player ever in NBA history

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2019, 11:23:15 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think Grant Williams will succeed in the NBA.

He has a 3-point shot, so his height disadvantage is not really a big deal.

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2019, 11:43:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

not true

that award goes to PJ Tucker who is like 6'4, 6'5

Grant Williams is similar size to Draymond Green

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2019, 11:45:25 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Lol. He really isn't. Especially in today's NBA, I don't think he will have any problem playing the 4 with his combination of high IQ, elite strength, and decent athleticism.

BArkely wasn't really that big, and he had a decent career, and he played against a better pool of big men than their are right now.

I don't think Williams will be as good as Barkley, but he should carve out a great supporting role type player in the league.

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2019, 01:51:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
GWill had a more impressive debut than Zion Williamson

Zion not only looks overweight but boy he has one ugly shot. Such a low release.  Wants to try dunk everything... but got swatted numerous times

Zion Highlight below
https://youtu.be/uqyVPfR8MTs