Author Topic: Grant Williams a Real Power Forward  (Read 16170 times)

Re: Grant Williams a Real Power Forward
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I actually watched a few highlights of Williams, and I think if he can develop a consistent 3 point shot, and his passing proves to be acceptable in today's NBA. I think he can carve out a role to become something more than a back up big, yes his size/wingspan will limit him. But most large slumbering big man will also have trouble keeping up with him on defense. I think the key is to have a good bruising big next to him, to help box out, and guard the paint. Williams seems like the guy who despite his strength and weight, he can still surprise some people on weak side help defense.

Excited to see how far this guy goes, I'm rooting 100% for him, along with Tacko Fall & Edwards.

when those three are on the court with Waters ....Celtics offense takes off .....Tacko plugs the paint .....the other team puts up bricks to beat the shot clock ,  Grant grabs the rebound .....and its all Celtics down hill full speed break away with the guards .   Tacko doesn't even have to touch the ball to effect the game . 

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
A pretty good article on his performance yesterday.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/07/scouting-grant-williams-how-the-boston-celtics-rookie-forward-fared-in-his-first-summer-league-game.html

l'm so used to seeing recent Celtics draft picks look completely out of their element on a basketball court in Summer League that Grant Williams appears to be a revelation...

Does anyone remember Ryan Gomes or Jared Sullinger's play in Summer League?  I don't, but I'm wondering if they showed similar poise and control of the game early on?
I actually remember sullinger and Gomes in summer league.  To answer your question, yes, I think they looked similar.  That’s the target for William IMO (sans sullys weight issues).  Could be a little better or a little worse.

Incidentally, I also remember olynk being better than all of them.

Good on you if you remember Gomes — that was a long time ago.  The quality of SL play has increased dramatically since then.  Now virtually all draftees and most of the second-year players show up, along with a lot of vets looking for a job.  It’s a big deal, and while there are still some silly moments, more can be gleaned from someone’s play today than in the Gomes era, and even in the Sullinger era.  Teams have several days of practice (or play if they’re coming from Orlando or Utah first) before tipping off in Vegas, with full coaching staffs working with the players.

It’s still just a handful of games over a week or so, but you can take away a bit more now than you could back then.

If you really want to reminisce about Summer League, Boston hosted a Summer League from '99-'03  known as the Shaw's Pro Summer League and then then Reebok Pro Summer League.  Obviosuly the Boston rookies played it in, but you got guys like LeBron and Kwame Brown (lol, but was a #1 pick) too.

I know not everybody lives in the greater Boston area, but many do, and how great would it be to be able to see the young guys in your own back yard, up close and personal.

It would be cool if that had stuck around.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I haven't read this whole thread all the way through but I will say I think Williams is going to do well for three reasons.

First, his motor appears to be very high.  Almost like the Big version of Smart.
Second, he also appears to have a high IQ.
Third, he's already shown great leadership qualities on and off the court.

I understand he isn't the ideal size for a guy at his position, but I really see him being able to have a similar type of role as Draymond does.  I don't think he'll be as good as Draymond, but he seems to have similar qualities to him that Draymond has.

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2019, 09:49:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
16 pts ... highlights vs Nuggets

https://youtu.be/jso9rPVZiHA

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If this guy can hit threes, he’s probably going to be in the league for like 10 years as a solid rotation guy.

« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If this guy can hit threes, he’s probably going to be in the league for like 10 years as a solid rotation guy.

His picks are excellent

Opponents running into a wall