Author Topic: Silver: “no social justice messages next year” after ratings collapse  (Read 1101 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Get woke, go broke: NBA to drop 'social justice' messaging following ratings collapse

https://www.outkick.com/adam-silver-nba-social-justice-messaging-will-be-largely-left-off-the-court-next-season/

Silver indicated that the social justice messaging that currently displayed on the courts and the backs of players’ jerseys will be “largely left off the floor” next season:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:41:35 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The players will ultimately have the final say, there's no product without the biggest names.

And I also think the Finals ratings in particular are low because Lakers vs. Miami just isn't that interesting of a matchup. The Lakers were always going to steamroll the Heat, there's no tension or drama.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
The players will ultimately have the final say, there's no product without the biggest names.

And I also think the Finals ratings in particular are low because Lakers vs. Miami just isn't that interesting of a matchup. The Lakers were always going to steamroll the Heat, there's no tension or drama.

I said it in another thread a couple of days ago but the ratings drop is a complex thing.  You can't just point at the ratings drop and blame it on social messaging.  There's several factors why NBA ratings as well as NHL, MLB, NFL, Triple Crown races, etc... are down.  Of course, Outklan the Coverage is going to continue to ride the "go woke, go broke" narrative, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Ratings have the final say, not the players. If the league keeps losing revenue their "star" power is irrelevant as it was supposed to bring ratings up, not down. The salary cap from 2 years ago also got lowered because of lower finals ratings.

NBA can pay the players but if the revenue is not enough to compensate them, they will be in trouble or at worst, some teams may declare bankruptcy just like in the 50s when the league was just getting started.