Author Topic: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game  (Read 4576021 times)

Re: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game
« Reply #2805 on: October 27, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
10/27
Redz - Eddie House, Celts: 8.5
ACF - Rasheed Wallace, Celts: 12.0
Lon3lytoaster - Trevor Ariza, Rockets: 8.9
nickagneta - Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: 13.0
Rondo2287- Rondo, Celtics: 11.9
fairweatherfan - Shawn Marion, 12.9

Not sure what to say on Gilbert, since he didn't establish an average last year by our 10 game rule.  I'm thinking he shouldn't be allowed until he established an average this year.
Yup

« Reply #2806 on: October 27, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Just read the OP - so this is really just an "over" game, not an over/under, right?

It's over or under the player's point average.
Worst pick gets the doody TP  :D

Yeah, but "winning" is only for the guy exceeding his average, not going under it, right?  I shouldn't pick a guy I expect to do badly unless I'm aiming for the "wipe up the doody" TP.

correct
Yup

« Reply #2807 on: October 27, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Try to stick with this format for submitting picks...Add your pick to the list

10/27
nickagneta - Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: 17.4
Rondo2287 - Rondo, Celtics: 11.9
Fairweatherfan - Shawn Marion, 12.9
Atzar - Greg Oden, 8.9
Yup

« Reply #2808 on: October 27, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not sure what to say on Gilbert, since he didn't establish an average last year by our 10 game rule.  I'm thinking he shouldn't be allowed until he established an average this year.

I looked up the last 2 years - his most recent 10 games he averaged 17.4 ppg (going back to Nov 07, natch).  I think that'd be fair, though it might be a pain to remember it til he logs 10 games this year.

« Reply #2809 on: October 27, 2009, 02:56:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I looked up the last 2 years - his most recent 10 games he averaged 17.4 ppg.  I think that'd be fair, though it might be a pain to remember it til he logs 10 games this year.

Yeh, I guess that works.  Thanks for looking it up.  We'll call it the Gilbert Rule...I can't imagine there are too many other case like this.  So lets just remember 17.4 for Gilbert.
Yup

« Reply #2810 on: October 27, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

nickagneta - Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: 13.0
Rondo2287 - Rondo, Celtics: 11.9
fairweatherfan - Shawn Marion, 12.9
Atzar - Greg Oden, 8.9
Kwhit10 - Aaron Brooks, 11.2

« Reply #2811 on: October 27, 2009, 03:02:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I looked up the last 2 years - his most recent 10 games he averaged 17.4 ppg.  I think that'd be fair, though it might be a pain to remember it til he logs 10 games this year.

Yeh, I guess that works.  Thanks for looking it up.  We'll call it the Gilbert Rule...I can't imagine there are too many other case like this.  So lets just remember 17.4 for Gilbert.

Gilbert is the exception to every rule.  Should be his nickname   :)

« Reply #2812 on: October 27, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Whoa....hold on there. I don't see why Arenas has to be sent back to 17.4 points. He had an average last year and it was 13 points. He's an established NBA player who had an established average last year of 13 points. Why, because I was smart enough to find a bit of a loophole in the system, am I going to be punished by some new rule because people didn't see this?

His average last year was 13 points. That should be his average until 10 games into the season.

« Reply #2813 on: October 27, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

I agree, there's a lack of good, original and telling nicknames in this day in age.

The Truth, The Answer, The Matrix, The Big Ticket, The Big Aristodle. All classic nicknames. Now we have crap like D12 and CB4. Add The Exception to the list of good nicknames.

« Reply #2814 on: October 27, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
Whoa....hold on there. I don't see why Arenas has to be sent back to 17.4 points. He had an average last year and it was 13 points. He's an established NBA player who had an established average last year of 13 points. Why, because I was smart enough to find a bit of a loophole in the system, am I going to be punished by some new rule because people didn't see this?

His average last year was 13 points. That should be his average until 10 games into the season.

It does say on the first page that the player has to play ten games in the season to qualify for the PAPOUPG. Gilbert only played two games last year. Considering we probably should wait to play this game until every team in 10 games in, I wouldn't really consider it a loophole.. If he only played 2 games when we were say 43 games into the season, you wouldn't be allowed to pick him then, either. 2 games really isn't an "Establised" average.

Just my opinion, though.

« Reply #2815 on: October 27, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Nick,  Being that we're waiting for 10 games this season to establish averages for guys, I think it's not big of a stretch to assume we'd be looking for 10 games from last year to establish an average for a guy.  I hadn't thought of the "loophole" but it's definitely not in the spirit of the game.  I was inclined to say "no"  to anyone who hadn't played 10 games for last season, but FWF did the research and came up with an average for his last 10 games.

Not going to make a controversy out of it, but we're in the process of establishing rules here and didn't think of that loophole.  Rather than taking advantage of it, let's iron it out before the season starts.

On a similar note, I hold the All Time NCAA 3 Point FG% title...absolute truth
Yup

« Reply #2816 on: October 27, 2009, 03:18:55 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

I agree, there's a lack of good, original and telling nicknames in this day in age.

The Truth, The Answer, The Matrix, The Big Ticket, The Big Aristodle. All classic nicknames. Now we have crap like D12 and CB4. Add The Exception to the list of good nicknames.

I thought Agent Zero was already a pretty [dang] good nickname.

« Reply #2817 on: October 27, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Yeah, Gilbert's got enough nicknames to spread around a little.  Think he can loan "Hibachi!" to Eddie House?

« Reply #2818 on: October 27, 2009, 03:27:45 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

Personally, I always thought it was a little stupid. It's along the same lines as D12 and CB4. It's his number, but then inplace of his initials, it's a random, stupid word like it was a graffiti tag or xbox live name or something.

« Reply #2819 on: October 27, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Personally, I always thought it was a little stupid. It's along the same lines as D12 and CB4. It's his number, but then inplace of his initials, it's a random, stupid word like it was a graffiti tag or xbox live name or something.

Like Employee #8  ;D (who could use a job right about now)
Yup