Author Topic: I think they should change the review standard on block / charge calls  (Read 4288 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The NBA rulebook allows instant replay review in certain circumstances.  One of those is the review of whether a player was within the restricted circle if a charge / block is called (in the last two minutes of the game).

I'm 100% fine with that aspect of the rule.  Boundary issues (out of bounds, half court violations, 3PT vs. 2PT, etc.) are a sensible use of replay.

Unfortunately, the explanation of the charge / block review reads as follows:

Restricted Area Block/Charge Review

Since the 2012-13 season, referees have reviewed all block/charge calls when they are not reasonably certain as to whether the defender was inside or outside of the restricted area. For more information about what constitutes a block or a charge, click here). Restricted area replays are conducted only during the last two minutes of the fourth period and during all of overtime.

When conducting their review, referees attempt to confirm or overturn their original call.

The call is deemed a block if referees deem the defender was:

Not in a legal guarding position, or
    In a legal guarding position, but inside the restricted area
    The call is deemed a charge if the defender was in a legal guarding position and outside the restricted area.
    Referees also determine if any unsportsmanlike acts or unnecessary contact occurred.

I don't like that aspect.  Allowing refs to freeze frame a play to overrule a discretionary call in this instance seems arbitrary.  Why aren't all foul calls subject to review in the last two minutes?  Why restrict it to just charges?  And why isn't there a "clear video evidence" standard if they're going to go down that route?

It seems like this is one more tool in the toolbox of refs to influence the game, and it just seems out of place.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Frankly I was shocked to learn that they could do that last night.  Makes no sense and is inconsistent with the fact that they can’t review any other missed fouls, of which there were many.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I have never seen the charge/block call reversed ever until last night. It is a home town call. The call should have stood as called when realizing he was well outside the restricted area. I really dislike both teams - Cleveland for obvious reasons but GSW because of their cockiness but that call should have stood as called.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think they should do it more often or not at all, but that said, they need the rule to be an egregious oversight or something along the lines.  They should never overturn a bang bang judgment call that wasn't egregiously wrong.  You know the NFL standard of indisputable video evidence.  If that is the standard, that remains a charge last night since that is what was originally called and it clearly wasn't an egregious call (I mean Steve Javee said it was a charge).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think they should do it more often or not at all, but that said, they need the rule to be an egregious oversight or something along the lines.  They should never overturn a bang bang judgment call that wasn't egregiously wrong.  You know the NFL standard of indisputable video evidence.  If that is the standard, that remains a charge last night since that is what was originally called and it clearly wasn't an egregious call (I mean Steve Javee said it was a charge).

I agree with this. Reviews can be valuable, but they have to have indisputable evidence.

The refs probably made the right call overturning it ACCORDING TO THE RULES THEY HAD. I think the rules were broken, but they refs did a good job.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
As long as this rule is in place to screw over LeRoid, count me as one that's all for keeping it.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

STEVE JARVEE said it was a charge because the studio refs NEVER disagree with the call on the court. I bet he forgot they could reverse the call or he could have hedged. I say this though I believe it was a charge.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It is a terrible rule. In my mind, LeBron wasn't even close to the restricted area, so the review made no sense to me and should have never happened.  As I said last night, fouls should only be made in real time, especially for charge calls. You could nit pick a defender moving in slow motion, but not necessarily in real time. I understand the refs changed the call during replay, but it wasn't indisputable to overturn.

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
This wasn't the first time this happened, It was only the first time in the finals..

And Bron was definitely leaning into Durant...

The Ref's 1st instinct was to call it in Lebrons Favor (right or wrong..) But when they realized it was The other Superstar they decided to do the "Fair" thing... and get the call right.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

STEVE JARVEE said it was a charge because the studio refs NEVER disagree with the call on the court. I bet he forgot they could reverse the call or he could have hedged. I say this though I believe it was a charge.
Oh he clearly knew they could change the call as they talked about it before he gave his opinion on it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I have never seen the charge/block call reversed ever until last night. It is a home town call. The call should have stood as called when realizing he was well outside the restricted area. I really dislike both teams - Cleveland for obvious reasons but GSW because of their cockiness but that call should have stood as called.

I have no comment on this play, as I'm not watching the Finals—except for the Smith snafu; couldn't resist catching that "highlight"—but I wanted to say I like your sig. I lost all of my TPs—more than 980—thanks to their brilliant shooting.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
BTW, how could the refs reverse the charge call on LeBron on replay, but not reverse their call on Tristian Thompson's phantom flagrant fall.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think if they're gonna go and spend time reviewing something, they ought to be able to recognize if they made a mistake.

Obviously we don't want them doing video review on every foul call, but if they're already going to look at the tape anyway, especially with something like a charge where you can clearly see if somebody is still moving their feet when the offensive player has started their motion, they ought to be able to correct the mistake.

Last night, LeBron was not quite in place quick enough.  His feet were still moving.  It would have been an error for the game to be decided by a charge call there instead of a block.

I would point out that LeBron's been a beneficiary of many, many block calls in his favor over the course of his career, as well, so no need to feel sorry for him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
i just find it amazing how many fans (especially over on realgm) are upset about that foul being called correctly
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
The greatest stupidity of all that review is that there is should be no reasonable doubt about the fact that LeBron was NOT in the restricted area. It should've never gone to review in the first place