Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 67565 times)

Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
You have to admit though, a lot of the smaller/weaker teams in this World Cup have actually done really well and defied expectations. Even the ones that were eliminated without a win have actually put up some good fights and didn't just fold.

I feel bad for Nigeria. They played a helluva game and almost pulled off the draw, but ARG just found a way to break through late (that's just what good, experienced teams do). But Nigeria should hold their heads high after this game, and from this WC overall.

That said, this Argentina team DOES NOT scare anyone to be honest. I think France beats them.

So as of now at least, Round of 16 games are:

Portugal vs. Uruguay
Russia vs. Spain
Argentina vs. France
Croatia vs. Denmark

A lot of intriguing games to be honest  ;D

Also, did anyone realize that, if Brazil finish say, first in their group and Germany finished 2nd, then we could see a Brazil vs. Germany matchup EARLY in the tournament (Round of 16)  :o  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Argentina are so lucky to get through this group.

I feel sorry for Nigeria. I would've liked them to go through.

Do you think they missed that Marcos Rojo handball call?

Honestly, that wasn't a deliberate handball, which is the key there.

He first headed the ball and then hit on his hand. It wasn't a penalty... To be honest neither was the one awarded. This happens in every corner kick.

You have to admit though, a lot of the smaller/weaker teams in this World Cup have actually done really well and defied expectations. Even the ones that were eliminated without a win have actually put up some good fights and didn't just fold.

It is easier for them to be prepared for the group stage. Top teams have more tired players and they aim to go further so their training and conditioning is planned accordingly. Moreover top teams have to face tight defenses which is never easy

@Who

i somewhat agree .Argentina was bad. But that game for Nigeria was a final and against a bad team they didn't do anything! When it mattered they choked. They had only one decent chance. they blew their chance and i can't feel bad about them.

« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Argentina are so lucky to get through this group.

I feel sorry for Nigeria. I would've liked them to go through.

Do you think they missed that Marcos Rojo handball call?

Honestly, that wasn't a deliberate handball, which is the key there.

Yeah, I thought it wasn't a handball too.

I'm just looking at it in hindsight, if that was given, my God. Solid win for Argentina. Probably didn't deserve to win, but hey, they got thru.

Now it's time for them to reap their reward, a date with France  ;D.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wow, SK gets that goal back on VAR..

Good call too, he was onsides from what I saw.

« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2018, 11:56:34 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Wow, SK gets that goal back on VAR..

Good call too, he was onsides from what I saw.

Anf even if he was, the ball came off a German player, it would have counted.

Man, Mexico owes South Kore a big one.

« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2018, 11:57:41 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Accidental double post.

« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Germany out in the groups, I did not expect that.

Glad Mexico didn't get knocked out with two wins. Always crushing when that happens to a team.

« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Thank God this is finally over. Totally deserved. Fifty minutes of good football over three games just isn't enough.

First order of business: thank Löw for his years of service and find a new national team coach. Fourteen years is enough. I can't watch this crap anymore without getting aggravated.

The offense was in shambles. Sloppy passes into empty space, slow and plodding movement, lots of technical mistakes in the 1-on-1s. Seriously, there were a good 20 minutes in the second half without a single good pass in the final third. Not that the defense was any better, which allowed one stupid counter after another.

Again, none of this was completely unexpected. They had a string of at least ten bad games in the build-up to the WC. The team assured us they'd be ready when it matters, and although the concerns were reasonable, we gave them the benefit of the doubt due to their past success.

That's the one good thing that can come out of all this: that they can't hide behind their 2014 success anymore and that the reasonable concerns can now finally be taken seriously.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Thank God this is finally over. Totally deserved. Fifty minutes of good football over three games just isn't enough.

First order of business: thank Löw for his years of service and find a new national team coach. Fourteen years is enough. I can't watch this crap anymore without getting aggravated.

The offense was in shambles. Sloppy passes into empty space, slow and plodding movement, lots of technical mistakes in the 1-on-1s. Seriously, there were a good 20 minutes in the second half without a single good pass in the final third. Not that the defense was any better, which allowed one stupid counter after another.

Again, none of this was completely unexpected. They had a string of at least ten bad games in the build-up to the WC. The team assured us they'd be ready when it matters, and although the concerns were reasonable, we gave them the benefit of the doubt due to their past success.

That's the one good thing that can come out of all this: that they can't hide behind their 2014 success anymore and that the reasonable concerns can now finally be taken seriously.

1. Just blame it on Mesut Ozil. Like every body does.

2. Mats Hummels is going to be haunted by that missed chance. Forever.

3. I still dont get why Low left out Leroy Sane. That offense needed a guy like him to spark something. That may have bit them back in their behinds.

« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
I can't believe Germany lost to SK. Way too many Mexico fans in Los Angeles, but hope they get knocked out in the Round of 16 lol.

Now I want England to go all the way!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The day has thus far worked out about as well as possible for my fandom (without the US).  My brother-in-law is Mexican (thus my niece and nephew are half Mexican) and the two closest exchange students my family had are from Sweden and Brazil, so those have been the 3 countries I've been rooting the most for.  Sweden and Mexico are in, now Brazil just needs to take care of business for a perfect day.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The day has thus far worked out about as well as possible for my fandom (without the US).  My brother-in-law is Mexican (thus my niece and nephew are half Mexican) and the two closest exchange students my family had are from Sweden and Brazil, so those have been the 3 countries I've been rooting the most for.  Sweden and Mexico are in, now Brazil just needs to take care of business for a perfect day.

Brazil vs Mexico would absolutely be epic at your place, I reckon. . .

« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2018, 01:18:02 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Not being directly involved to this group I loved they way the games went. I can't say the same about the Germans watching it with me but they were honest... Germany sucked. Even Hummels said it himself. They haven't had a game in the last year.

Rebuild time I guess....

BTW I wish Serbia performs the miracle today....

« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

1. Just blame it on Mesut Ozil. Like every body does.

2. Mats Hummels is going to be haunted by that missed chance. Forever.

3. I still dont get why Low left out Leroy Sane. That offense needed a guy like him to spark something. That may have bit them back in their behinds.

I know you're being sarcastic, but this isn't on Özil (although he also played like crap). The entire team was bad today, which means it's on the coach. The mentality of the team is just infuriating, and has been for a long time now.

I just saw a video analysis by former Bundesliga coach Stanislawski on german TV, and it was even worse than I remembered. It's like several players didn't even participate. Nobody wanted the ball, nobody made that extra step to get into a position were he could receive the ball from the ballhandler. Lots of beautiful fancy passes into nowhere.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm not sure Sane would have changed anything. Sane has twelve caps to his name, and not a single one of those games was good. Some were downright horrific. The argument to leave him at home was that Germany would face mostly teams who would try to park the bus, and Löw wanted to play a slow, methodical possession style to counter that, which really doesn't suit Sane's style.

Yeah, we did play a slow, methodical possession style. Just not a very good one... which, again, is on Löw. Then again, Germany also has a serious talent issue, right now. Many of the younger players just aren't as talented as the previous generation. I mean, when was the last time Germany produced a striker of international calibre? Gomez, twelve years ago? Does he even count?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 01:49:22 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2018, 04:36:12 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm not sure Sane would have changed anything. Sane has twelve caps to his name, and not a single one of those games was good. Some were downright horrific.

That is true. One player couldn't have saved Germany
But imho not calling him made the old guard feel complacent.

The argument to leave him at home was that Germany would face mostly teams who would try to park the bus, and Löw wanted to play a slow, methodical possession style to counter that, which really doesn't suit Sane's style.

Against parked busses you need wingers who can go one on one too. 

Anyway , to day ww hope for engalnd to finish second and follow the easiest path. Although it is a given that Southgate will win it!!

Real Madrid european champion
Burnley qualifies for Europe
Man City champion
Chelsea 5th
England World champion

Real Madrid european champion
Burnley qualifies for Europe
Man City champion
Chelsea 5th

(i know it means s***t but i like this kind of lists :D )