Author Topic: 2015-16 EPL Season  (Read 72094 times)

Re: 2015-16 EPL Season
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Quote from: Yoki_IsTheName link=topic=80279.msg1947051#msg1947051

Rafa Benitez, from what I've read, want's Cristiano Ronaldo to play Centre in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Gareth Bale going to the left wing. I don't know who will be on the right in that formation, certainly not Benzema's position.

Also, there's this budding idea that the £45 million fee for Benzema will fund for Marco Reus, which fits the winger bill.

It makes sense but CR does not want to play there ... which explains the (alleged) friction between  cr and benitez. Imho real should stay put

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd love to see Real Madrid play like Chile with no true CF and two wide forwards with Bale and C.Ronaldo leading the lines. Then play a three man midfield with Kroos, Modric and 3rd person and with James Rodriguez in that #10 role. Marcelo and Danilo as wing backs.

I think that would be an awesome use of their personnel.

Generally speaking, I prefer to play the #9. To have a point of reference in that penalty box. I think it is easier to play with someone like that. But ... Bale and C.Ronaldo ... those two guys are so obsessed with how many goals they score, cutting inside to get into scoring positions and have been doing less and less in terms of creating chances for the rest of the team ... that I think it'd be better to move them into even more attacking positions and bring in another creator in midfield to help the midfield out. To create more chances for team as a whole.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:52:52 PM by Who »

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Liverpool's defence is becoming more and more fordimable.

With that said, we were robbed of 3 points today. Rarely does Aaron Ramsey do good on the pitch, and it was taken away.

I feel like something was stolen from me right now.

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Apparently Spurs have agreed to a 6 million pound loan with Inter Milan for Erik Lamela with a 16 Million option to buy. 

I didn't see this coming but think it is probably best for all involved. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2015, 06:19:36 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Wow.

United controlled most of the game, had more chances, but failed to score. All this new signings and in three games so far, they can't finish an attack.

In all three of their matches so far, they seem to simply lack that final ball. 

Chicharito has to put that chance away, regardless of what Krul does.  Viewed the Spurs-Foxes match, which was a trying affair, and then an absolutely horrible match between Roma and Verona.  Hopefully, Chelsea and City will provide some excitement in a few hours (4.5, to be exact... ;)).

I don't watch Serie A, mainly because I don't know where to watch, but I'm mighty interested in Roma due to Wojciech Szczesny. As an Arsenal fan, I love the Cech signing, but he's hasn't impressed so far. I want Szczesny breathing down his neck all the time. And he had a brilliant double save last night.

Szczesny was excellent - he made some fine saves, with no blunders.  Of course, there is still the million year old de Sanctis on the bench...

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

With that said, we were robbed of 3 points today. Rarely does Aaron Ramsey do good on the pitch, and it was taken away.

I don't know if I'd say robbed. I'm watching the match on my DVR right now, and while the Ramsey goal should have counted, I feel lucky that Arsenal weren't losing 4-0 at the half. Callum Chambers is possibly the worst defender I have ever seen in the Premier League. He's like a turnstile.

Cech saved us a point today.

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I don't know if I'd say robbed. I'm watching the match on my DVR right now, and while the Ramsey goal should have counted, I feel lucky that Arsenal weren't losing 4-0 at the half. Callum Chambers is possibly the worst defender I have ever seen in the Premier League. He's like a turnstile.

And Coquelin. Yeah. I'm starting to hate Chambers. He's being torched as a Right Back, and is absolutely useless at Centre Back. As for Liverpool being up 4-0, while Cech was masterful today, I doubt they'd play the same if we're 1-0 up.

Phillipe Coutinho scares me. In that game, it seems like every time he carries that football in the box, I'm really scared that he's going to drill a chance in the back of the net.

And Jesus, Giroud. My God...

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2015, 12:48:37 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

And Coquelin. Yeah. I'm starting to hate Chambers. He's being torched as a Right Back, and is absolutely useless at Centre Back. As for Liverpool being up 4-0, while Cech was masterful today, I doubt they'd play the same if we're 1-0 up.

Phillipe Coutinho scares me. In that game, it seems like every time he carries that football in the box, I'm really scared that he's going to drill a chance in the back of the net.

The DM position is the one that drives me crazy.  If Wenger would just spend on a top notch guy in that role to shore up the defense (like Chelsea did with Matic when Mourinho came back) I think they'll be a legit title contender.  But, of course, they won't and we'll watch Coquelin be good, but not good enough and finish 3rd.

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2015, 01:46:58 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

The DM position is the one that drives me crazy.  If Wenger would just spend on a top notch guy in that role to shore up the defense (like Chelsea did with Matic when Mourinho came back) I think they'll be a legit title contender.  But, of course, they won't and we'll watch Coquelin be good, but not good enough and finish 3rd.

As I posted above, I simply cannot understand why Wenger doesn't get another holding mid and a top-flight striker.  Maybe he's the main impediment preventing Arsenal from pushing on...

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I like Wenger showing faith in Coquelin. I thought he was the 3rd best defensive midfielder in the Premier League last year behind Matic and Schneiderlin. Coquelin is a very good player who is still only 24 years old and is only scratching the surface of what he can become. Defensive midfielders don't peak until their late 20s early 30s. It is a position where experience is very important and Coquelin is at a stage in his development where he needs to be playing week in / week out to get that experience to continue improving.

I am happy Wenger is not signing a second defensive midfielder to play alongside Coquelin either. I do not like the 2 defensive midfielder configurations. Too defensive minded for my taste. I liked Cazorla in that central midfield playmaking role alongside Coquelin. I thought Cazorla was superb for Arsenal in that role last season. Modric-like.

I liked Wenger refusing to sign another big money defensive midfielder like Krychowiak given Coquelin's development. If you don't back someone like Coquelin who has been in your youth system since he was 17, had a breakout season when he established himself as one of the best players in England at his position ... well the, what heck are you doing? What is the point in having a youth system? What is the point in even having any young players?

What I did not like was Wenger not signing a cheaper replacement defensive midfielder to play behind Coquelin. Someone that could step in when Coquelin was injured, suspended or needed a rest. Or even to go with 2 DMCs late in games to protect a lead. I thought not signing that backup defensive midfielder behind Coquelin that was a mistake. I didn't like keeping Arteta either who I think is no longer of any value on the pitch to Arsenal. I thought they needed to make a change there. Bring in a ?5-10 million backup defensive midfielder.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:15:36 AM by Who »

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I thought it was Arsenal's attack that caused many of their defensive issues the other night.

Very similar to the West Ham game or last year against Monaco. Arsenal too reliant on trying to play down the middle. Do not have enough width. Do not have enough one-on-one players. Too reliant on tippy-tappy football on the edge of the box. Have to push too many players forward to try and break down a packed defense / midfield. Have to push both full backs far forward to try and create any width. Leave themselves vulnerable to counter attacks when they lose possession.

I thought Liverpool did pretty much the same thing as West Ham. Tight back 4. A defensive midfielder in Lucas / Oxford. Then two more central midfielders just in front of the DMC to give a three man wall in front of the defense. Then dared Arsenal to try and play their way through them + then hit them on the break when attacks fail.

This is why I thought Raheem Sterling would have been perfect for Arsenal this summer. Why I thought he should have been their top priority. To have that pace and one-on-one skills to break down teams that are defending deep. To have that player who can play wide and stretch the pitch unlike so many of their other central midfielders & attacking midfielders who need to play in the hole and are not so effective when moved out wide. 

Back to the Liverpool match, I thought the attacking issues were the first big problem and the 2nd big problem was the CB partnership struggled badly. Koscielny and Mertesacker being injured forcing Gabriel and Chambers to play together for the 1st time I believe. Gabriel was nervy at the start and made some early mistakes but I thought he improved and was excellent the rest of the way. Chambers on the other hand just went from bad to worse and had one of the worst first halves I have seen from a CB in a long time. A terrible game and a night to forget.

I thought Coquelin was Arsenal's 2nd best player on the night after Cech. I didn't think their midfield duo deserved the criticism that it has received post-match. I thought Arsenal's problems lay elsewhere. Further ahead in attack (too much redundancy, not enough versatility) and also with the CB duo.

Very impressed with Gabriel. I think he will be a great defender for Arsenal. Each time I see him, he looks a top defender in the making.

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I like Wenger showing faith in Coquelin. I thought he was the 3rd best defensive midfielder in the Premier League last year behind Matic and Schneiderlin. Coquelin is a very good player who is still only 24 years old and is only scratching the surface of what he can become. Defensive midfielders don't peak until their late 20s early 30s. It is a position where experience is very important and Coquelin is at a stage in his development where he needs to be playing week in / week out to get that experience to continue improving.

I am happy Wenger is not signing a second defensive midfielder to play alongside Coquelin either. I do not like the 2 defensive midfielder configurations. Too defensive minded for my taste. I liked Cazorla in that central midfield playmaking role alongside Coquelin. I thought Cazorla was superb for Arsenal in that role last season. Modric-like.

I liked Wenger refusing to sign another big money defensive midfielder like Krychowiak given Coquelin's development. If you don't back someone like Coquelin who has been in your youth system since he was 17, had a breakout season when he established himself as one of the best players in England at his position ... well the, what heck are you doing? What is the point in having a youth system? What is the point in even having any young players?

What I did not like was Wenger not signing a cheaper replacement defensive midfielder to play behind Coquelin. Someone that could step in when Coquelin was injured, suspended or needed a rest. Or even to go with 2 DMCs late in games to protect a lead. I thought not signing that backup defensive midfielder behind Coquelin that was a mistake. I didn't like keeping Arteta either who I think is no longer of any value on the pitch to Arsenal. I thought they needed to make a change there. Bring in a ?5-10 million backup defensive midfielder.

Coq can be reckless at some games, he's already carrying a yellow and almost got banned against Palace.

I agree that he should be in the pitch all the time. But we need another DM who could relieve him in case of injury or tactical. Arteta and Flamini won't do the job, and Santi Cazorla, as good as he is, is too small in that spot. I love that combo together, one being able to make passes from far out of the pitch and one who can recover possession. But if any if those two get hurt, or get banned, that's trouble.

Wenger missed out on Cabaye, IMO. He still has a week to sign another DM. Just someone of quality who can relieve the two.

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2015, 10:20:31 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
And I'm not sure if there's any more time, or willing clubs, for Arsenal to be able to get a World Class Striker.

At this point I'd settle for Charlie Austin, you know, just to give Giroud something to look behind. He did score 18 goals last year. And he would be itching for a PL move.

And to Who's point, we have a player you described in Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. What we don't have is the understanding as to why Wenger insist on starting Aaron Ramsey in that spot instead of him.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:44:43 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Wow, WBA reject a 22 million pound bid for Berahino.  That is literally absurd.  The only thing more absurd than bidding 22 million for Berahino is rejecting it
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16