Author Topic: Has Danny’s bargain hunting hurt his drafting  (Read 3265 times)

Has Danny’s bargain hunting hurt his drafting
« on: January 23, 2021, 02:20:38 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Danny has done well with the high draft picks of Brown and Tatum, but when it gets to the later pick he tends to go bargain hunting to draft players that cannot stay on the court.

He seems to be so greedy that he takes unnecessary gambles. First was Sullinger the Ohio State C/PF with the back problem that he drafted after everyone else passed on him. He ended up getting back surgery. Since then he has drafted Rob Williams, Romeo Langford, Aaron Nesmith - all players that dropped in the draft because of injury concerns and cannot stay on the court for the Cs.

Has Danny gambled too much by picking players that fell in the draft because of injuries?

Re: Has Danny’s bargain hunting hurt his drafting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 08:20:41 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I consider the Sullinger pick a success considering where he was chosen.  That’s a bad example.

If you’re picking outside the lottery and you find a guy that can start for you, I’d call that a win.  Danny’s worst first round picks are probably Fab Melo and Yabusele, there’s an argument to made for JR Giddens too.  But he’s had plenty of other wins too.  Sully, Rondo, Rozier, Bradley, Perkins, Tony Allen, Delonte.  Just off the top of my head

I know it’s early but I do agree with you that the Nesmith pick is gonna be a fail
Greg

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Rob williams has developed nicely for the celtics I think and is at least a factor of the bench.

I think its too early to make a determination on Nesmith. Right now the game seems too fast for him and he doesnt seem to have an NBA body. I think next season is when we could judge him more

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Three games ago we were at the top of the division and everything was bright. Then we lose three games without our best player and we are bums. So it goes. If we play those games over but take Embiid off the Sixers and have Tatum play, we’d be 11-3 or 10-4, and then what would the mood be?

Choose any of the top 10 teams in the league and subtract their best player. How good are they?

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 09:55:15 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Three games ago we were at the top of the division and everything was bright. Then we lose three games without our best player and we are bums. So it goes. If we play those games over but take Embiid off the Sixers and have Tatum play, we’d be 11-3 or 10-4, and then what would the mood be?

Choose any of the top 10 teams in the league and subtract their best player. How good are they?

This. people are over-reacting. All these 2 games showed me is that Brown/Kemba walker are not enough. But it has shown me that Brown is a legit 2 or 1A to tatum.

Sixers were at full strength and we were missing our BEST player. missing 26ppg on the court

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 10:41:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sullinger and Timelord were good picks.  Langford was a small reach.  Nesmith went right where projected.

If Danny drafts for upside, he’s criticized for bargain hunting.  If he drafts for role players / solid starters, he’s risk averse.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 11:02:53 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Except this place was ready to trade tatum after we won that 1st game without him.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Draft day trades can be chaotic. I think Ogaju is right that the more you trade on draft day the higher the chance to mess up or have others taking advantage of you. It happened the last two drafts unfortunately.
It’s like the frequent trader that believes they can beat the stock market returns.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 12:25:23 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Good point = Tommy Point!
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

This. people are over-reacting. All these 2 games showed me is that Brown/Kemba walker are not enough. But it has shown me that Brown is a legit 2 or 1A to tatum.

Sixers were at full strength and we were missing our BEST player. missing 26ppg on the court

I also find it annoying that in the playoffs last year, every quarter against Philly they gave the excuse that Philly was missing Simmons. When we’re out Tatum who is better than Simmons, not a peep really (unless I missed it, but with Simmons it was said over and over).

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 12:30:40 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Except this place was ready to trade tatum after we won that 1st game without him.

These arguments don’t make sense. This is the most popular Celtics UGC site besides Reddit. People say anything and everything, it doesn’t mean everyone here wanted to trade Tatum. We cover a wide range of smart insights and zany overreactions here.

We’ve truly got it all here at CelticsStrong!

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I consider the Sullinger pick a success considering where he was chosen.  That’s a bad example.

If you’re picking outside the lottery and you find a guy that can start for you, I’d call that a win.  Danny’s worst first round picks are probably Fab Melo and Yabusele, there’s an argument to made for JR Giddens too.  But he’s had plenty of other wins too.  Sully, Rondo, Rozier, Bradley, Perkins, Tony Allen, Delonte.  Just off the top of my head

I know it’s early but I do agree with you that the Nesmith pick is gonna be a fail

Sullinger had a back problem  that made him fall in the draft. Teams ran away from drafting him, but Danny took a chance. The back problem plagued him, affected his conditioning, his play, and he had to have spine surgery. He did not last long in the league. How is that a success?

The point of this thread is analyzing whether drafting players whose draft stock fell because of injury has worked out for the Cs. I do not think it has.

I gave example of players that fell in the draft because of injuries only to be snagged by Cs. The injuries have hurt their performance, their development, and the team.

How long before the Jays ask for a better supporting cast?

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 05:05:18 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Sullinger had a back problem  that made him fall in the draft. Teams ran away from drafting him, but Danny took a chance. The back problem plagued him, affected his conditioning, his play, and he had to have spine surgery. He did not last long in the league. How is that a success?

The point of this thread is analyzing whether drafting players whose draft stock fell because of injury has worked out for the Cs. I do not think it has.

I gave example of players that fell in the draft because of injuries only to be snagged by Cs. The injuries have hurt their performance, their development, and the team.

How long before the Jays ask for a better supporting cast?

When Sullinger was drafted the Celtics were a team with aging stars that was still trying to compete.  Sullinger if I remember correctly was projected to go really high in the draft but fell, like you said, because of his back problems.

So you’re a GM, what do you do, roll the dice and draft the top5 pick with the back problem but could potentially reinvigorate your team with some star power.  Or draft one of the projected 20 something players on the board who usually become bench players at best but are more statistically likely to be out of the league in 5 years.

I’m sure the Bucks fans and Twolves fans love their team management for passing on Joel Embiid by following your approach BTW
Greg

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 06:41:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

These arguments don’t make sense. This is the most popular Celtics UGC site besides Reddit. People say anything and everything, it doesn’t mean everyone here wanted to trade Tatum. We cover a wide range of smart insights and zany overreactions here.

We’ve truly got it all here at CelticsStrong!

I'm old, help me out.  What is UGC???
Yup

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 06:53:36 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Sullinger and Timelord were good picks.  Langford was a small reach.  Nesmith went right where projected.

If Danny drafts for upside, he’s criticized for bargain hunting. If he drafts for role players / solid starters, he’s risk averse.

Giannis vs. KO being Exhibit A there.