Author Topic: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball  (Read 13595 times)

Re: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2021, 10:47:18 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'm a huge smart fan and I admit brad stevens has ruined this player.

Stevens hasn't ruined Smart, he's always been a bad decisionmaker.

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2021, 10:53:52 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Soooo is it back to calling Marcus Smart Banks 2.0? ;D

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2021, 05:07:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm sorry he is not a good basketball player. He has very low IQ (shot selection, committing dumb fouls etc) and other than the occasional steal/charge he brings nothing to the table. If i were Ainge i would trade this guy for anyone. Addition by subtraction. I've had enough of him in a Celtics uniform. I'm posting this the day after he supposedly had a "good game" as well.

You categorize first team all defense as "the occasional steal/charge"?

What does first team all defense even mean? The eye test tells me that he cannot lock down a hot player on the opposing team when we absolutely positively need him to. So then what else is he getting accolades for besides hustling, drawing charges, and getting steals?

Hustling ,drawing charges ,and getting steals are all hugely valuable defensive contributions.

What players around the league "lock down" opposing scorers on a regular basis?  I feel like you just don't really see that anymore.  The way they call the game and the way teams set up their defense means that great defense is more about teamwork, positioning, and timing to either shepherd guys to less advantageous spots on the floor or force ballhandlers into turnovers.
^^^, TP.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2021, 05:57:31 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
He was catastrophic late in the 10-0 in 80s af Philly, it costed the match; and he makes bad choices early this season it is uncontestable. Maybe he must learn more which match to be agressive offensively and which match focusing on defense and onto collective offensivelly. But he tryed to do this last PO (not always with succeed). But I think he is not stupid, and he sees this team must be totally in Jays hands and with Kemba as rd option Smart is nothing more than an Xfactor offensivelly,not expecting much more offensive production than from Pritchard and the TPE guy. He will accept his role.

During PO match, his intensity and gamechanging will remain everyon his utility. I would still put Marcus first on my list to go to war. He is also a voice in the locker room. Maybe he is also the kind of player who need the public abd especially the TD to pass  from 100 to 110%.
He isn't untradable like the Jays, but what he brings when it counts may be more than his trade value.So keep him and wait when he will (for sue) give us positiv and intense end game emotions.

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2021, 09:31:28 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I said it before, but I think Smart is best as a wing, not a ball-handler. He can focus on defense and hitting open shots off the catch, while limiting his bonehead decision making. The good news is that we are in need of wing help and he can guard 1-4. Just make sure he is like 4th in line handling the ball when our best line-up is out there (Tatum and Jaylen have clearly surpassed him) and things will fall into place...unfortunately, I don't see this happening.

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2021, 09:33:26 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Smarts problem is he doesnt have a realistic view of who he is as a player and where he should be in the pecking order.

Smart believes hes on the same level as Tatum/Brown/Kemba and should take the kind of shots they do. In reality Smart would be best the way he played earlier in the season taking 5 shots a game and focusing on defense and shooting ONLY when wide open.

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2021, 10:09:12 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Smart has always self-promoted himself as the strength and heart of the team.  And then he starts to believe his own stuff.  He makes some incredible plays on defense but has always been a liability on offense due to his poor shot selection & decision making.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2021, 11:04:50 AM »

Offline ekosins3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
Even though I’m down on him this year I am expecting smart to be more efficient once he’s reinserted to 6th man role off the bench again. Hoping this happens but with COVID and injuries he might remain in the starting lineup.

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
The problem is Smart is being asked to do too much given all the injuries and absences, leading him to have to do things on a larger, full-time basis that he’s not capable of doing.

I expect him to get back to his usual ways now that we are starting to get guys back in Kemba and Tatum.

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2021, 12:33:52 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Even though I’m down on him this year I am expecting smart to be more efficient once he’s reinserted to 6th man role off the bench again. Hoping this happens but with COVID and injuries he might remain in the starting lineup.

I don’t think smarts going back to the bench anytime soon. Pretty sure it’ll be Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Thompson (or Theis)

- LilRip

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The problem is Smart is being asked to do too much given all the injuries and absences, leading him to have to do things on a larger, full-time basis that he’s not capable of doing.

I expect him to get back to his usual ways now that we are starting to get guys back in Kemba and Tatum.
See, this makes sense. People are all crazy because Smart is taking to many shots, trying to create his own offense and ball handling too much.

But with Kemba out for 10 games and on a minutes restriction upon his return and Tatum missing the next three games, Smart is the team's third option. He has often been the first option when playing with the bench.

Thing is, Smart, when starting, plays best as a 4th offensive option, where he can put most of his energy into playing defense, distributing and taking open shots. When playing with the bench he is best as as a second or third option on the offensive side.

Once the team is healthy and they can recreate the chemistry from last year, I think we will see a better balanced Marcus Smart.

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 04:33:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Throughout his career, Boston has been slightly better with Smart on the floor then with him on the bench, but it isn't a significant amount such that they might be better off with someone else filling that role.  Not a bum, but just a nice solid player.  Maybe even one that is flawed (like a Lou Williams type player).  I think it is certainly fair and reasonable to wonder though.  I do know that Smart is almost as likely to make a boneheaded play that costs the team as he is to make a spectacular play that helps the team, and that is the real problem in addition to his inability to not take shots.  There is no way he should be shooting the insane amount of 3 point shots he takes.  He should be in the 2-3 range in attempts.  If he did that, he would be so much more valuable as a player and the fact that he doesn't, drives me bonkers.

This has more to do with Brad than Smart.   

I believe Karalis earlier in the season asked about Smart shot selection or something to this effect

And the overall feeling I got was that, Brad was not going to limit him

Take the open shot philosophy.  Which could mean anything, depending on the player 

Unlike say a Doc Rivers.  Who will tell certain players not to take 3s.  Or limit to wide open 3s.   
Smart takes a lot of shots that aren't wide open 3's.  Those are the problem. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 04:37:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

See, this makes sense. People are all crazy because Smart is taking to many shots, trying to create his own offense and ball handling too much.

But with Kemba out for 10 games and on a minutes restriction upon his return and Tatum missing the next three games, Smart is the team's third option. He has often been the first option when playing with the bench.

Thing is, Smart, when starting, plays best as a 4th offensive option, where he can put most of his energy into playing defense, distributing and taking open shots. When playing with the bench he is best as as a second or third option on the offensive side.

Once the team is healthy and they can recreate the chemistry from last year, I think we will see a better balanced Marcus Smart.
Smart is taking 0.3 more shots a game this year as opposed to last year.  His 3PT attempts are actually down 0.8 per game.  In other words, Smart isn't shooting more.  And sure his 3 point percentage is down this year, but it is still above his career average so he is more just regressing to the mean.

The simple truth is Smart just isn't a very smart offensive player.  He never has been and pretty clearly never will be. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2021, 04:42:56 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Smart is taking 0.3 more shots a game this year as opposed to last year.  His 3PT attempts are actually down 0.8 per game.  In other words, Smart isn't shooting more.  And sure his 3 point percentage is down this year, but it is still above his career average so he is more just regressing to the mean.

The simple truth is Smart just isn't a very smart offensive player.  He never has been and pretty clearly never will be.

So how can you look at those stats and conclude that he's not a smart offensive player and never will be? I hope you're this definitive with other teams.

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2021, 04:44:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah all these conspiracies about Smart having a larger ego than Tatum and Brown really doesn't make sesne.