Author Topic: There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason  (Read 16442 times)

Re: There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2021, 02:35:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'd prefer DeRozan to Aaron Gordon.  I just don't think Gordon would fit into our system. He is too mechanical.  Think he is over-rated on this Board.

My ideal guy is Josh Jackson, but doubt that the Pistons are interested in trading him.

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2021, 03:55:51 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I am increasingly leaning towards the less talked about option that the TPE is held till the off season and used to facilitate a S&T

FA targets who could make sense

Otto Porter Jr
Evan Fournier
Tim Hardaway JR
Will Barton
Josh Richardson
Norman Powell

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2021, 04:06:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am increasingly leaning towards the less talked about option that the TPE is held till the off season and used to facilitate a S&T

Otto Porter Jr
Evan Fournier
Tim Hardaway JR
Will Barton
Josh Richardson
Norman Powell
The Celtics won't use the TPE for a sign and trade because it would require the Celtics be under the apron just to complete the trade because it hard caps them.

Their salary for next year, with just 11 players and no cap holds is around $132 million, about just $9-10 million below the projected apron. If the Celtics draft a player in the first round, expect that difference between salary and apron to be only $7-8 million.

So if Boston wants to sign and trade a guy for $27 million, they would need to dump $20 million in salary before completing the sign and trade. Then the team would need to take another player and trade him, while not taking on extra salary, for two or three other players just to get to 14 or 15 players on the roster.

The Celtics got under the repeater tax this year to go over the apron for the foreseeable future. Ainge will not under any circumstances be signing and trading anyone into that TPE.

This is why people aren't talking about a sign and trade for the TPE.

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2021, 04:10:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Trade for Oladipo and pay the man.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2021, 04:11:41 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Otto Porter Jr
Evan Fournier
Tim Hardaway JR
Will Barton
Josh Richardson
Norman Powell
You can’t do that because of salary constraints. There is a hard cap when you get a player via S&T and we are very close to it next season. You could do it if you dump Kemba on a team and get cap relief ...but what’s the point of paying a team to get Kemba off our hands. Then pay another team to sign and trade a player to us.. we are stuck.
We could probably use the tpe to get on smaller expiring contracts but it may not be worth it to go into luxury tax territory for players that don’t move the needle.
Either use the tpe on expiring deals at the March trade deadline or get Vuchevich after the season ( that will be costly too)

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2021, 04:16:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Dipo agrees to an extend and trade, I love that idea. But, I don't think Oladipo would do that and I am not thrilled to use the TPE on a half year rental.

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2021, 05:43:53 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

He's one of the few (borderline) All Star level players available. It could mean a golden opportunity.
It's better to have too much offensive talent than too few. However it will be hard to satisfy our stars with enough shots, just like last year (and the year before). And Oladipo is a very good defender, but our rotation may get a bit too small.

You have Walker, Oladipo and Smart who want starter minutes and we have Pritchard who's also deserving of minutes, so either Oladipo or Smart would have to play the '3' as well (moving Brown/Tatum exclusively to the '4'). Or otherwise we'll be playing either Ojeleye/G.Williams/Thompson/Theis extended minutes at the '4' while having superior talent on the bench.

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2021, 09:38:16 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
I don’t think Danny even uses that TPE but I never thought Hayward would opt out of that final year at 34 million let alone get another 120 million coming off three injury plagued years.

I've seen a couple of folks mention that they think Danny will let the TPE expire and I really hope he does. As constructed, we're not a title contender. I think we're a veteran swing player and a consistent bench scorer away. We have an asset to help us fill out those holes and with Jaylen's extension kicking in this year and Tatum's next, we can't keep kicking the can down the road. It's officially time for Danny to whiz or get off the pot.

I still say we have to upgrade in a big way our center spot. To compete in the Finals, we have to be much stronger inside. Huge need there defensively and need someone who can score in there to get easy baskets. Of course, rebounding also. Right now, we can't compete with the best teams, who despite all the changes in the way the game is played, have All-Star level talent on the inside.

Can we trade Theis and Thompson plus the Trade Exception plus picks for an all-star level post player.
Knowing Danny and Stevens though, we would acquire Rudy Gobert and they would play him 12 minutes a night.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2021, 11:08:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
If Dipo agrees to an extend and trade, I love that idea. But, I don't think Oladipo would do that and I am not thrilled to use the TPE on a half year rental.
Aren't TPE's only allowed for 1 year contracts.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2021, 12:26:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

No.

I think you’re thinking of injured player exceptions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2021, 12:32:21 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

No.

Tatum is also tight with Dipo, not as much as beal but way more than average

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2021, 12:55:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

No.

Tatum is also tight with Dipo, not as much as beal but way more than average

Tell Tatum to have him force his way to Boston.  The fit would be perfect.

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2021, 02:25:57 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Derozan or Aldridge would fit well in our team (if the Spurs are blowing it up)

- LilRip

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2021, 10:59:50 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
So to me it looks like the tpe might be best used as part of a salary dump deal in which we get the player we want or we get a future pick or a swap.
Given the following:
-We need a scorer of the the bench
-Philly is $11.5M above the tax line
-Morey has a history of making deals at the deadline to get under the tax
-Philly has 4 unplayable (one is injured) guys making $15M combined - Scot, Poirier, Bradley and Ferguson
-Orlando has to get something for Fournier who they can’t retain after the season because of salary constraints

I propose:
-the quartet above go from Philly to Orlando plus 2 second rounders from Philly
-Fournier comes to the celtics
-Carsen goes to Philly

Philly opens 2/3 roster spots to fill with vet min guys who will be available after the deadline.
We dump Carsen contract that’s guaranteed next season
Orlando saves a bit of $$ and gets 2 picks for a player they can’t retain

I think this will be the framework of what might happen with the TPE . Without our TPE the deal as proposed can not be consumed because of roster spot constraints but with the tpe going to Orlando it can be executed as a series of trades.
It works for all 3 teams ....

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Derozan or Aldridge would fit well in our team (if the Spurs are blowing it up)

Aldridge is too old. He'll have an occasional good game, but he isn't going to be a big factor in the NBA anymore.
I like the playmaking that DeRozan brings and it's a much needed skill for the Celtics. The downside is that DeRozan will be 32 in August (pretty old as well). He's expiring, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing (Spurs can't ask for a huge package, but some team could offer him a new max contract in free agency). But interesting to discuss anyway.

Looking at the Spurs stats it indicates that Devin Vassell is already their best defender. Really hurts that they picked him before us. With Aldridge, DeRozan, Gay and Mills expiring the Spurs really say goodbye to an era and starting a rebuild with a very young team.