Author Topic: Red Sox preparing for a spending spree?!?!?  (Read 15716 times)

Re: Red Sox preparing for a spending spree?!?!?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

I'm in the same boat as Chris.  Very efficient ballplayer but still overpaid in my book.

He's being a superstar-type salary but he's not passing the eyeball test on being a superstar.  Sorry.  

You can throw out Bay's numbers but I'm not gonna overpay him either.  If his asking price gets too high, then I'm cutting ties with him and going in another direction.

but what is too high for you (I dont mean just you, I mean everyone who says we NEED to resign Bay, but then says Drew is overpaid...)?  because, if Drew is so overpaid, surely you must think that Bay would have to be paid less...but I am just trying to figure this out, because everyone throws out the same garbage line, resign bay, Drew overpaid.  blah blah

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm in the same boat as Chris.  Very efficient ballplayer but still overpaid in my book.

He's being a superstar-type salary but he's not passing the eyeball test on being a superstar.  Sorry.  

You can throw out Bay's numbers but I'm not gonna overpay him either.  If his asking price gets too high, then I'm cutting ties with him and going in another direction.

but what is too high for you (I dont mean just you, I mean everyone who says we NEED to resign Bay, but then says Drew is overpaid...)?  because, if Drew is so overpaid, surely you must think that Bay would have to be paid less...but I am just trying to figure this out, because everyone throws out the same garbage line, resign bay, Drew overpaid.  blah blah

Well, I'm never been in the boat of "having to resign Bay".  I'd love to have him back but I'm not going to throw $15 million + a year at him to come back.  If that's what he wants, I say cut ties. 

I have never once said that the Sox have to resign Bay and that Drew is overpaid.  However, I do believe that Drew is overpaid.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:54 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Unless you want to win a playoff series or two... or three.  Then you might consider it.

The Red Sox starters pitched good enough to beat the Angels, it was the lack of hitting that cost them. Lester went 6 IP and allowed 3 runs, not great but a quality start, but they get shut out. Next game BEckett goes 6 2/3, gives up 4 ER, not good but certainly gives the team a chance, too bad they only score 1 run. The last game Buchholz goes 5, allows 2 runs, Sox have the lead late but Papelbon chokes.

Scoring 7 runs in 3 games is why they lost, Halladay wouldnt of changed that. Also consider if they trade for Halladay they likely dont get V-Mart so their offense would be even worse having to play Tek every game. Yeah pitching is obviously the key to winning in the postseason, but you have to be able to HIT good pitching which they could not do.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:23:33 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 05:19:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1695

Well, I'm never been in the boat of "having to resign Bay".  I'd love to have him back but I'm not going to throw $15 million + a year at him to come back.  If that's what he wants, I say cut ties. 

I have never once said that the Sox have to resign Bay and that Drew is overpaid.  However, I do believe that Drew is overpaid.

So if Bay is asking too much, where do you go for a left fielder?  Do you throw money at Holliday, who will likely command as much or more?  Or do you bank on Hermida or Reddick turning into franchise cornerstones overnight?  The fact is, we need a very good LF, and the market only has two very LF's this year.  Short of some unforeseen trade, I don't see a better value option than Bay or Holliday.

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

I understand that - my point is simply that Bay is either going to be VASTLY overpaid...or Drew isnt that overpaid at all.  If Drew were a free agent this year, would he not be mentioned at the same salaries as Bay?  I think maybe a bit lower, since he is now older, but Bay as a FA this year, and Drew as a FA when we signed him they were the same age. 

And is the market really declining that rapidly?  Abreu just resigned for ~10 mill a year for 2 years.  and he is 35!

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

So if Bay is asking too much, where do you go for a left fielder?  Do you throw money at Holliday, who will likely command as much or more?  Or do you bank on Hermida or Reddick turning into franchise cornerstones overnight?  The fact is, we need a very good LF, and the market only has two very LF's this year.  Short of some unforeseen trade, I don't see a better value option than Bay or Holliday.

No, I wouldn't go after Holliday.  I don't think you need to bank of either Hermida or Reddick becoming cornerstones but you can make use of them as short-term solutions for 2010.

See, you have to look big picture here.  This year's free agent class is less than stellar while next year's crop is a deep bunch.  To be honest, I think the Sox have to approach this season with an eye on next year's offseason.  Bide their time even if it means taking a step back next year.  Don't overpay this year where it'll hurt you come free agency next year.

Look, this team is in transition whether people like it or not.  The old standbys of Ortiz, Lowell, and Varitek are past their primes.  The Sox have a solid nucleus to build around including Youkilis, Pedroia, and Ellsbury. 

Wait things out, free up salary and save your resources for the '10 offseason even if it means taking a step back this upcoming season.  However, one last thing, I would actively explore the trade routes to see if they can come up with anything there.

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, Abreu is every bit as good as Bay--or Drew.  Much better defensively and very productive at the plate.  Makes pitchers work.

Abreu is being underpaid.  His deal is an example of the "new economics" in baseball, not an exception to it.

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 05:28:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I understand that - my point is simply that Bay is either going to be VASTLY overpaid...or Drew isnt that overpaid at all.  If Drew were a free agent this year, would he not be mentioned at the same salaries as Bay?  I think maybe a bit lower, since he is now older, but Bay as a FA this year, and Drew as a FA when we signed him they were the same age. 

And is the market really declining that rapidly?  Abreu just resigned for ~10 mill a year for 2 years.  and he is 35!

I think Abreu would've been a perfect short-term fit with the Sox and I would've been fine with $10 million/year there.

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 05:41:20 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well the "big picture" is to take it easy this year and save your pennies for Joe Mauer next year. If the Yankees get Mauer, it will be very, very bad news for the Sox.  They can't afford another Teixiera debacle.

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I just don't see Mauer leaving the twins for NY or Boston.  He's a small town guy and I think he wants to keep it that way.  Also, extension talks have began with Mauer and The twins as of yesterday.  I really expect an extension to be announced within the next few months. 
do it

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 12:40:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just don't see Mauer leaving the twins for NY or Boston.  He's a small town guy and I think he wants to keep it that way.  Also, extension talks have began with Mauer and The twins as of yesterday.  I really expect an extension to be announced within the next few months. 

Yeah, I'm not even thinking of Mauer come next offseason.  I really find it far-fetched that he'll leave Minnesota. 

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 12:49:26 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
There are no hitters to spend money on outside of bringing back Bay or signing Holiday. Ideally the Sox will sign a pitcher and allow this group (Lowell, Drew and Papi) to play out the final year of their contracts. A lot of money will be freed up once they're off of the books.

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

Yeah, I'm not even thinking of Mauer come next offseason.  I really find it far-fetched that he'll leave Minnesota. 

Same here, you can just tell he's the kind of person that will take a hometown discount for the twins.  Obviously I'd love to have him on the Red Sox, but if the Sox did sign him, doesn't that make them just as bad as the Yankees?  I'd rather go after guys via trade or draft then overpay to get a player here. 
do it