Author Topic: Anyone else getting way too frustrated with watching the Sox as of late?  (Read 3716 times)

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Sure, we have a decent record...but man, is it just me or does it seem like we've been alot of losing lately?  Very frustrating to watch.  Our entire lineup with the exception of Mike Lowell and Dustin Pedroia is actually hitting.

Ellsbury can't get on base, Drew and Manny are really cooling down (especially Manny), Youk has been eh, Varitek is in one of the biggest slumps of his career, Lugo is a lost cause both at the plate and in the field, and I don't understand all the hype around Brandon Moss.

What's even more frustrating is that our pitching hasn't been that bad.  It just hasn't been as good as the other teams and that can be mostly because of the lineup.

By the way...if you really think about it, why is everyone so surprised about the Rays?  It was only a matter time.  When you suck for so many years and get all of those insanely high draft picks, it's only a matter of time before those players make a big impact in the major leagues.  It's just finally all come together for them in the same year, especially the pitching.

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
They don't just have a decent record, they are 2.5 games off of the best record in baseball. 

They've been going through a ton of injuries.  Think of the names that have been hurt at some point during the season: Ortiz, Schilling, Beckett, Ramirez, Lowell, Youkilis, and I'm sure many more that aren't on the top of my head.

It's a looong season, a bad week or so isn't going to kill us.  The Rays are a great story, I don't see them lasting but if they do, good for them.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
In tonight's game I was surprised they didn't have Ellsbury threaten to steal 3rd.  It would have been a great distraction for the pitcher to contend with.

They really miss Papi.  And I wonder if that wrist is still bothering Ellsbury.  They probably ought to sit him for a week or 2 so he can heal up and swing away (his hits tonight were bunts and dribblers), returning to the big threat he was earlier.

The Rays are a very good team.  I think they will be in there at the end, barring injury.  Garza seems to have figured it out in his last few starts.  Their pitchers are attacking the strike zone, well except for Kazmir.  They have solid D.  They got rid of the bad attitudes (Young, Dukes) and got some good talent in return.

I still think we take the division, but the Rays could actually make the playoffs.
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
They don't just have a decent record, they are 2.5 games off of the best record in baseball. 

True.  However, they're 19-26 on the road this season, which isn't terribly impressive. 

Overall, they still have a pretty good hold on a playoff spot, which is great in light of the injuries this year.  However, the team has been prone to playing bad ball on the road all season long.

(Strangely, the Cubs are similarly great at home and terrible on the road, and the White Sox also fall into that category, although to a slightly lesser extent.  Same thing with the D-backs, although they're only a .500 team overall).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yes ... especially on the road .... it will be nice to get them back to Fenway. I think the pitching sets the tone, and it's been very inconsistent of late. Manny's definitely got "head" things going on, and it rubs off on everyone when your anchorman is ruffled a bit. I think they'll get the magic back in Boston, and this little "rut" will be a thing of the past.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 949
Hard not to be frustrated with the way things have gone lately but as bad as we have looked, we are still so close to the best record. There is plenty of time for us to right the ship and I am sure Theo has a card or two up his sleeves...we know he will probably not just sit back and let fate take it course.

Did I imagine it, but did Bill Buckner really throw out the first pitch for our team this season?...and we need to wonder why we are injury prone this year...If my memory has not failed me, and I did not imagine our former 1st baseman with knees of mush throwing that first pitch..we can always blame the injuries on him..can't we? I believe in letting bygones be bygones, but hell, why let him set the table for our season with that first pitch. Who made that decision?

Offline SaCaCh

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
I have maybe watched parts of 20 games this year, they are a boring team that is obviously bored playing this year. No fire and some average pitching and lots of untimely hitting.