Author Topic: The only loyalty in all of sports anymore..........  (Read 6924 times)

The only loyalty in all of sports anymore..........
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
…………is FAN loyalty.

I know that I am stating the obvious, but sports is big business for the players and the owners. Very few, if any, players have loyalty to the franchise, hence no loyalty to their “team” nor to their fans, who ultimately pay their paycheck.

On the other side, franchises view players as chattel, commodities to be bought and sold, traded and discarded. Consequently, franchises have no loyalty to players nor to the fans who keep the franchise afloat, nor to the cities that embrace them. (Just ask those die-hard Cleveland Browns dog-pound fans, bare-chested with letters painted on their chests in 15* weather with the wind blowing off Lake Erie how they felt when the team they lived and died for for so many years ultimately won a championship in a different city, how they felt and how their loyalty was rewarded.)

I’ve been a Cs fan for over 50 years, a Bs and Giants fan for about the same (the G-men were New England’s de facto NFL team before the Pats in ‘60, and I couldn’t switch loyalties, even when a local team came along) and a Yankees fan for even longer (the Yawkey “plantation” mentality made me sick!!!), although the steroid era has made baseball a sport I now only watch in late Sept. and Oct..

I guess my question is rhetorical, but why should I or anyone else have loyalty to teams (franchises) and players in any sport, when there is no loyalty in return???…. Talk about unrequited love!

If we ran our personal lives like we deal with sports and the things we overlook (Donaghy, PEDs, lockouts, strikes, lost seasons and partial seasons, etc., infidelity to fans), we would be loyal to people who give no loyalty in return!!!!!>>>>That’s fornicated up!

If there is a shortened season or a complete loss of the season, we as fans should scream out our windows like in the ‘70s movie, Network, "I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore" and then act on our words and not take it anymore by boycotting the NBA for a set period of time as a mass protest.

Not gonna happen, I know, but we, as fans, ultimately supply the revenue for the owners and the players. Let’s let them know that we are p---ed off.

Really wish it would happen, but I’m just dreamin’ here. As Cs fans, we are in a particularly difficult bind. If we do that, for any length of time, our window with this likeable HOF bound group of players we have will be gone.

Still wish it could be done.

Re: The only loyalty in all of sports anymore..........
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
loyalty..

that word doesnt exist anymore...

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:46 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
thats the only loyalty ever
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
loyalty..

True dat, Bass, not for players and owners, anyway...still exists for many fans, though...not sure why it should.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The boycott sentiments are noble and would be a terrific idea if it could ever be pulled off but it will never happen.  There will always be people who'll flock back to the game no matter how much the league and players treat the fans like crap.  Just look at baseball and hockey.  They're bigger than ever despite their initial attendance dropoffs.

I've never gone to a baseball game since the year the World Series was cancelled and I was a diehard baseball fan.  I don't follow that sport any more either for all intents and purposes (I will admit to having watched the 2 Sox appearances in the Series because of their epic history of failure -- and I'm not a Sox fan -- but that's all the baseball I've seen in almost 20 years)

If the NBA cancels this upcoming season, I wouldn't rush to purchase another ticket again.  I'd probably watch the games on TV still but the NBA can make do without my hard-earned $ if a lost season comes to pass.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I watch to be entertained.  When they stop entertaining me, I will stop watching. 

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
loyalty..

need I say more?

Yup

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
As long as the players are loyal to each other, the coaching staff, and the concept of playing good, smart, together basketball, then I'm happy. 

It seems to me that this current group of Celtics has displayed that.

I know Paul Pierce isn't thinking of me when he steps on the basketball court in a Celtics uniform.  That's ok, 'cause on some level he's playing for me. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't see how a boycott would help labor and management come to an agreement. It isn't even clear that missing a season will help.

While I will be sad if there is no season, I understand it is a part of doing business.

I also am not so cynical about how teams treat players. We are in Boston, a city where the Patriots and the Red Sox seem to have no qualms dumping a player who wants to stay in town. That doesn't mean they treat their players poorly. They just need to do what is best for their team.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
loyalty..

need I say more?

well..

im an exception to the rule

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
loyalty..

loyal what what?

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:16:25 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the only loyalty is to the almighty buck.  (there are a few loyal people in sports, but they are far and few between)

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I have a big green sign in my house that says,

"You are in the house of a loyal CELTICS FAN.
                Cheer accordingly or Shut Up."

...and that is my contribution to loyalty.  :-*           
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I have been thinking about the sign I mentioned.

I have been a fan of the Boston Celtics for more than 50 years (with a  year off when life made it impossible for me to get any news of basketball).

When this lockout is over, if I still watch basketball, I will still be a Boston Celtics fan...I have seen many players come and go (the retirements of Russell, Cousy, Bird; the deaths of Bias and Lewis; the trade of Ainge...) and after the tears, I have remained a fan of the Boston Celtics.

Hunter looking for a way to "save face" indicates to me that the Players Association does not have a serious gripe in this fight and should worry about saving the cheeks at the other end of their anatomy.  How many years would it take them to make back the money (in whatever concessions they might receive after negotiations) they would be forfeiting in this years income?   
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!