Author Topic: Should the Celtics Trade Pierce?  (Read 6900 times)

Re: Should the Celtics Trade Pierce?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 07:33:27 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Putting aside my dismay at trading Pierce for a moment I have to ask who'd we trade him to that could net us something useful in return? The other contenders don't need a SF. The playoff teams who'd want his skill and experience probably won't be willing to give us another star in return. The bad teams wouldn't want him. The young and upcoming teams might want him but wouldn't want to give up the number of young talent to make the salaries match. I'm drawing a blank here on potential trade partners.

ETA: And who'd be our SF? We're having trouble as is finding a backup for Pierce.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:42:48 PM by twinbree »
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i'm guessing pierce's name came across danny's lips quite a few times over the past few years.  i'm just not sure there's anyone out there that makes any sense to exchange pierce for.

- a championship team?  well, danny thinks we are one, so that's not happening.

- a team looking for the last piece of the puzzle?  again, that's what danny believe HE needs on this team.

- a team looking to unload salaries?  then why would you want pierce's on your books?

- a team that wants to trade youth for veterans?  that doesn't make any sense at all.

i believe he'll retire a celtic and he'll have his jersey retired one day. 
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
No.
There are certain franchise players you just don't trade.  This is even more true for a storied franchise like the Boston Celtics.

No there aren't lol.  Kareem and Wilt were both traded. So was Shaq (3 times).

I'd rather see Pierce retire as a Celtic, than see him go in a Patrick Ewing-esque trade. When a player gets to be that far over the hill, the return just isn't that great.

Now if he thinks he's gonna get a crazy extension, that's another issue altogether.

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
i'm guessing pierce's name came across danny's lips quite a few times over the past few years.  i'm just not sure there's anyone out there that makes any sense to exchange pierce for.

- a championship team?  well, danny thinks we are one, so that's not happening.

- a team looking for the last piece of the puzzle?  again, that's what danny believe HE needs on this team.

- a team looking to unload salaries?  then why would you want pierce's on your books?

- a team that wants to trade youth for veterans?  that doesn't make any sense at all.

i believe he'll retire a celtic and he'll have his jersey retired one day. 

Strictly hypothetically...

It would be option #2:  a team looking for the final piece, or has good pieces that just don't fit together well, swapped in the proverbial trade that helps both teams. 

New Orleans, for example, has some very good players and is a playoff team, but doesn't have anyone besides CP that can create his own shot, and isn't going anywhere in the playoffs.  Perhaps Danny concludes that KG and Sheed aren't enough offensive firepower to get it done on the front line, and their defense is not sufficiently dominant, eihter.  He also thinks (hypothetically) that Ray, Quisy, and TA, or another player acquired in another deal or signed, are pretty good on the wing.  Does he consider a trade of Pierce for David West and Okafor?  What if a pick is included, or the right to swap picks and move up?

This sort of thing would be the only reasonable scenario, and should show why this sort of trade almost never happens.  It would require two teams to want some serious makeovers and have the right pieces...near impossible.

Former examples:  Maxwell for Bill Walton, though deals in the modern era would require more players for salary purposes.

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:41 PM »

Offline Brazilian

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
It is a good idea if C's trade for someone much better... or equivalent at least...
But who is better than him? Who is able to be trade in the league (that has equal skills) ?

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Putting aside my dismay at trading Pierce for a moment I have to ask who'd we trade him to that could net us something useful in return? The other contenders don't need a SF. The playoff teams who'd want his skill and experience probably won't be willing to give us another star in return. The bad teams wouldn't want him. The young and upcoming teams might want him but wouldn't want to give up the number of young talent to make the salaries match. I'm drawing a blank here on potential trade partners.

Not picking on your post in particular, just noting there's an interesting dichotomy on this board. Any time any player is available from any team people are saying how great it would be if we could get that player. KMart, AI, Ellis, Amar'e, JRich, Butler, Miller, Jamison, Rip, Prince... almost every available player. Yet any time there's a discussion about trading any of our players they're all untradeable players that no other team in the league would want. Kind of odd...

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

Not picking on your post in particular, just noting there's an interesting dichotomy on this board. Any time any player is available from any team people are saying how great it would be if we could get that player. KMart, AI, Ellis, Amar'e, JRich, Butler, Miller, Jamison, Rip, Prince... almost every available player. Yet any time there's a discussion about trading any of our players they're all untradeable players that no other team in the league would want. Kind of odd...

I can't speak for everyone but I don't think people think our players are untradeable because no team wants them but rather about how feasible a trade will be if what other teams are willing or are able to give us won't upgrade our team.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I can't speak for everyone but I don't think people think our players are untradeable because no team wants them but rather about how feasible a trade will be if what other teams are willing or are able to give us won't upgrade our team.

True.  I think many of us overvalue our own guys, which leads to 1) outlandish trade ideas, and 2) it being nearly impossible to improve our roster with all the irreplacable talent we have.  ;D

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
no. the captain stays a celtic until he steps out of the game

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

True.  I think many of us overvalue our own guys, which leads to 1) outlandish trade ideas, and 2) it being nearly impossible to improve our roster with all the irreplacable talent we have.  ;D

A lot of people overvalue them and an equally large amount undervalue them. There were plenty of posts about how the Celts didn't have any desireable assets in the weeks/months before Danny traded for KG and Ray.