Author Topic: Overreactions after one game  (Read 7174 times)

Overreactions after one game
« on: October 25, 2023, 10:53:59 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Okay, not all overreactions, but here are some top line thoughts from the game.

What the heck is wrong with Dallas, and Luka, that they could not coexist with KP?  Holiday had an incredible game defensively on Randle.  That dude usually kills us.  Jrue an even better defender of bigs than smart.  Looking ahead to Milwaukee, we can actually switch that pick and roll with Giannis and lillard.

I thought white was incredible all around today.  He won’t have the counting stats but white is a stud.  Al was al; did what he needed to with the minutes he got. 

JT looked great.  Like to see him use this size on smaller guys. We’ll see how that pick and roll with KP works long term.  Worked at times but teams can switch it, and JT still not the best player from that spot.  And, stop throwing those soft passes JT.

JB had a rough game.  He may have to be the one to sacrifice the most.  Hopefully he can make the adjustment, but he’ll be a big factor throughout the year.

The bench was awful.  I think we saw PP’s limitations on the ball and why he hasn’t been in the lineup consistently.  Don’t like him on the ball much.  I still prefer to start with the double big lineup to PP doesn’t play without either white or holiday.  Moreover, I prefer to stagger the holiday and white minutes so each plays on the ball as much as possible.

The rest of the bench was pretty bad.  Hauser needs to start hitting shots or his spot is gone.  Luke was bad, but I think the bigs behind him are worse.

Big picture, the defense looked awesome and the offense a little disjointed.  I expect we’ll figure out the offense over the first month.  82-0 here we come!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 10:59:25 PM by droopdog7 »

Re: Overreactions after one game
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 11:33:51 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
JB is frustratingly terrible. There was a play in first half the ball was being passed around the perimeter by everyone, he gets it with Tatum right next to him wide open, with Brown proceeding to completely ignore him, try to dribble, goes off his foot, then has to shoot a long 3 with the clock running down. Like this is a common sense play to just pass it and he does bonehead plays consistently.

Porzingis is a way better defender than Rob Will. Doesn't bite on any pump fakes, maintains his ground, and just looks dominant out there. He's easily our 2nd best player.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 11:48:46 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Porzingis showing that those who rated him as the 59th best player in the NBA need to reevaluate. He’s at least the 55th best.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 11:52:31 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Zingers not gonna last long playing 38 minutes a night, and that was with him having to come out bc of foul trouble.  playing him the entire first quarter was kind of strange too, hopefully that was just Joe riding the hot hand and not a permanent thing.

That being said, loved what I saw from him
Greg

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 03:34:41 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Okay, not all overreactions, but here are some top line thoughts from the game.

What the heck is wrong with Dallas, and Luka, that they could not coexist with KP?  Holiday had an incredible game defensively on Randle.  That dude usually kills us.  Jrue an even better defender of bigs than smart.  Looking ahead to Milwaukee, we can actually switch that pick and roll with Giannis and lillard.

I thought white was incredible all around today.  He won’t have the counting stats but white is a stud.  Al was al; did what he needed to with the minutes he got. 

JT looked great.  Like to see him use this size on smaller guys. We’ll see how that pick and roll with KP works long term.  Worked at times but teams can switch it, and JT still not the best player from that spot.  And, stop throwing those soft passes JT.

JB had a rough game.  He may have to be the one to sacrifice the most.  Hopefully he can make the adjustment, but he’ll be a big factor throughout the year.

The bench was awful.  I think we saw PP’s limitations on the ball and why he hasn’t been in the lineup consistently.  Don’t like him on the ball much.  I still prefer to start with the double big lineup to PP doesn’t play without either white or holiday.  Moreover, I prefer to stagger the holiday and white minutes so each plays on the ball as much as possible.

The rest of the bench was pretty bad.  Hauser needs to start hitting shots or his spot is gone.  Luke was bad, but I think the bigs behind him are worse.

Big picture, the defense looked awesome and the offense a little disjointed.  I expect we’ll figure out the offense over the first month.  82-0 here we come!

I thought our paint defense was excellent, KP playing drop coverage really deterred a lot of drives to the rim and changed a lot of shots. NY shot 18-52 from 2 for 32%. The problem was they shot 18-41 from 3 for 44% and a lot of those were open 3s because we either overhelped, didn't help enough or just miscommunicated on rotations. I think it's just the fact that they're still essentially a new team, with new combinations, and didn't know who was doing what...so it should get better.

Offensively we were excellent in the first half but in the 2nd half we got stagnant and the off-ball movement dropped. They weren't driving and hitting the paint as much so when they did move the ball they were just passing it around the perimeter. Again I'm hoping that that gets refined with time and reps.

As for Luka, I think the fact that he's a ball hog might have something to do with how he and KP didn't coexist well  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 06:50:03 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
You can tell this is a new team. So I expect some growing pains the first few months as everyone figures out where they fit and what everyone likes. lets not forget the "big 3" with miami took time to gel as guys figured out where they had to sacrifice.

KP looks perfect for this offense. All his scoring came within the natural offense off of teams keying in on Tatum/brown. Never knew he was this good. Maybe being buried in Washington who no one watches and misused in Dallas had me sleep on him

Jrue/JB trying to find where they fit offensively. But they'll be fine. Jrue is legit new going from #2 in milwaukee a month ago to now a #4 in boston. shot has been suspect and too many turnovers. but guy averaged 19ppg last year. he'll figure it out and have some big nights for us.

I think Brown really is adjusting to where he fits not being the sole #2 guy. Hopefully he can stop forcing the issue and let the offense come to him. There will be games he will be the #1 guy.

Bench is a problem. Pritchard/Hauser need to give you more. Not sure why Brissett or anyone else didn't make the floor. Hopefully it's a one game aberration and not more of the norm need to see them play better Friday.

Kornet needs to be replaced. He's garbage out there.
Maybe play queta?

We are going to need depth for the regular season so don't want our starters playing 38 every night.

BUT it's a new team, opening night, national TV against a tough Knicks squad so I get it
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:24:58 AM by cman88 »

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 07:20:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Kornet to the G league for anybody with a pulse.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 07:22:06 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Kornet to the G league for anybody with a pulse.

to me Kornet was the worst this game. Pritchard/hauser at least got wide open shots. just shanked them. those will come.

but Kornet was a liability out there.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 07:43:38 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Kornet's minutes needed to go to one of the wings or PP.  The Knicks really are not a huge team, especially with Jrue guarding Randle.  A 1 big lineup for almost the entire game would have at the very least allowed Kornet to stay on the bench.  JB has to figure it out, as he had a tough game on both sides of the ball.  Knicks played a 3 guard lineup for alot of the game, and C's countered with either JT, JB, and DW as the primary defenders(1 big), and sometimes JB, JT, and hortford.  Knicks ended up with alot of wide open threes, and alot of offensive rebounds as they crashed the boards hard. The C's did get a few fast breaks when they did get the rebound, but that didn't happened often enough.  As big as KP is, he isn't a great rebounder, at least defensively.  Knick bigs ate him up(12 offensive rebounds from their bigs).  Good bounce back in the fourth for the win.  I'm sure they will gel in the future. 

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 07:44:06 AM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
I know it's only game 1, but I hope we aren't seeing last year Joe where he only plays 7-8 guys during the season and over uses the starters. When Houser wasn't hitting, he could have tried Svi out there. Just my opinion.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 08:10:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
JB is overpaid!

Porzingis and Tatum could be co-MVPs of the league.

Horford 6th man of the year.

Spike Lee is still fun to see when he’s disappointed
Yup

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 08:20:03 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Bench was dreadful

Kornet is about as useful as a traffic cone.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2023, 08:22:18 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Bench is a problem. Pritchard/Hauser need to give you more. Not sure why Brissett or anyone else didn't make the floor. Hopefully it's a one game aberration and not more of the norm need to see them play better Friday.

Kornet needs to be replaced. He's garbage out there.
Maybe play queta?

The problem is not Kornet, it's the fault of the coach playing him at all. It's like playing 4 on 5. I like Joe, but this was very puzzling.
Luke was bad, but I think the bigs behind him are worse.
I'm not sure about that. We don't know that if they aren't given minutes. At the very least Queta, Stevens and Brissett bring toughness and Luke does not.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 08:59:00 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
My zags to everyone on here:

Kornet did fine in his minutes.

Our bench is fine. Pritchard and Hauser both missed open 3s they will make this year that would have blown the game open.

Holiday's defense was unbelievable.

Brown made a couple mistakes, but I liked his game overall. His defense on Brunson through 3.5 quarters was a big reason for Brunson's struggles.

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2023, 09:15:41 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
My zags to everyone on here:

Kornet did fine in his minutes.

Our bench is fine. Pritchard and Hauser both missed open 3s they will make this year that would have blown the game open.

Holiday's defense was unbelievable.

Brown made a couple mistakes, but I liked his game overall. His defense on Brunson through 3.5 quarters was a big reason for Brunson's struggles.

I agree with this but the Kornet stuff. He was not good on either end. Cannot play him and AL together. KP and Al, sure. But Kornet gives you zero. He played way too many minutes. Would rather see Brissett or Stevens.