Author Topic: What was Brad thinking?  (Read 7022 times)

What was Brad thinking?
« on: July 26, 2022, 09:48:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
To continue our "all Durant, all the time" coverage...

What do you think Brad's reasoning was in offering Brown + White + pick for Durant?

There are plenty of other threads to discuss whether we should, in fact, try to acquire Durant.  I'm more interested in what you think Brad's mindset was.  And, for bonus points:  how much input do you think Wyc and Pags have in any discussions?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: What was Brad thinking?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 09:51:19 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would think his mindset is that it was a good move.  There are plenty of people that would do that deal.  Maybe Brad is among them.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 09:55:23 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think Brad thought "hmm... a 10-time All-NBA, 12 time All-Star, former league and finals MVP who's coming off a season where he averaged 30/7/6 is available. Sure, there's attitude concerns but the on court fit could be great. Maybe I should offer a 1-time All-Star, a role player, and a pick that won't matter and see if Brooklyn bites."

For the record, I am against the deal because I think Durant is a malcontent. But it's not crazy to recognize the logic of that offer.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 09:55:43 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
This could be the result of several things that have come to light recently.  Is Jaylen unhappy?  Why is Jaylen visiting with Cryee?  Will Jaylen sign another contract and stay?  Has Brad and Jaylen talked about Jaylen's future wants/needs? 

I want to keep Jaylen just because he's much younger than KD and should only continue to get better.  BUT, if Jaylen is unhappy and likely will not re-sign with the C's.....don't let the door hit you in the a$$.  If this is the case, then Brad is doing his job getting something great now and not waiting a year and get much less.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 10:07:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
If Brad really did make this offer, I imagine it is as simple as he thought it would make the team better.  And maybe it would have for a season or two.

I don't really think that Brown's level of "gruntle" has anything to do with it but it is hard to know for sure.

It does not seem as though there were any serious offers or discussion around this.  I guess I am not surprised that Brown was not entirely off the table in discussions but I am not convinced that Boston made an actual offer.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 10:09:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Brad thought "hmm... a 10-time All-NBA, 12 time All-Star, former league and finals MVP who's coming off a season where he averaged 30/7/6 is available. Sure, there's attitude concerns but the on court fit could be great. Maybe I should offer a 1-time All-Star, a role player, and a pick that won't matter and see if Brooklyn bites."

For the record, I am against the deal because I think Durant is a malcontent. But it's not crazy to recognize the logic of that offer.

If reports are correct that Jaylen is happy in Boston, I think it's short-sighted.

If JB signs a max contract here, we've got him under control during his age 26 through age 32 seasons.  During that timeframe, we can reasonably expect all-star level of play, perhaps All-NBA level of play if he improves a very small bit.

Assuming Durant plays out his contract, we get his age 34, 35, 36 and 37 seasons, at an average of $50 million per year.  Over the past three seasons, he's played a total of 80 games.  He's also coming off a playoff sweep where he averaged 39% FG% and 5+ turnovers per game.

Add to that the value of Derrick White (who we traded a rotation player, a first rounder, a mediocre prospect and a pick swap for), plus another #1, and you're talking about fairly obscene value.  Now, factor in the chemistry-changing potential, both with a trade and with a failed trade that leaks to the media. 

Brad has a ready-made title team, built around defense and chemistry.  He's now added depth to that squad.  Why sacrifice the defense, the chemistry, and the depth for an ultra-talented but flaky, 34 year old likely to play in 50 games or so?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 10:16:23 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
To be title favorites next season. Anything beyond that I don’t know.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 10:20:05 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Agree. It’s like a girl that gets excited when a bad boy show a little interest. “Maybe I can change his ways. Maybe he will be nice to me. Maybe I’m the special one that will make all of the difference.”

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 10:43:21 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If reports are correct that Jaylen is happy in Boston, I think it's short-sighted.

If JB signs a max contract here, we've got him under control during his age 26 through age 32 seasons.  During that timeframe, we can reasonably expect all-star level of play, perhaps All-NBA level of play if he improves a very small bit.

Assuming Durant plays out his contract, we get his age 34, 35, 36 and 37 seasons, at an average of $50 million per year.  Over the past three seasons, he's played a total of 80 games.  He's also coming off a playoff sweep where he averaged 39% FG% and 5+ turnovers per game.

Add to that the value of Derrick White (who we traded a rotation player, a first rounder, a mediocre prospect and a pick swap for), plus another #1, and you're talking about fairly obscene value.  Now, factor in the chemistry-changing potential, both with a trade and with a failed trade that leaks to the media. 

Brad has a ready-made title team, built around defense and chemistry.  He's now added depth to that squad.  Why sacrifice the defense, the chemistry, and the depth for an ultra-talented but flaky, 34 year old likely to play in 50 games or so?

To be fair, Jaylen hasn't exactly been the pinnacle for health the past few years - including missing the playoffs completely in 2021.

The question comes down to if one thinks Jaylen's peak will be as productive as Durant's decline. And in that span, is a banner or two a possibility? I think that's a murkier conversation than most CS posters are willing to concede. If I'm Brad, I have to ask myself "right now, we have an offense where teams key in on Tatum and Brown gets to play more one on one. How much better could we be if we have Durant that teams focus on, freeing up Tatum more to go one on one?"

As to Derrick White, I don't think we should be beholden to what we traded to get him. He's a solid player, seems like a fine enough guy off the court. But he's not a dealbreaker to me by any stretch.

I understand the chemistry issues and it's the reason I wouldn't make the deal. But I'm not the GM of a multi-billion dollar franchise so I can be more emotional in my approach. These are the tough calls Brad and co. have to make and honestly, I'm encouraged by it. It shows that management is willing to go all out for a title and that's not something I've felt for a long time.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:55:12 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 11:09:22 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

What do you think Brad's reasoning was in offering Brown + White + pick for Durant?

There are plenty of other threads to discuss whether we should, in fact, try to acquire Durant.  I'm more interested in what you think Brad's mindset was.  And, for bonus points:  how much input do you think Wyc and Pags have in any discussions?
For my money, it went like this:

BKN: Hey, Kevin's asked for a trade. Are you interested?
BOS: Sure... How about Jalen, The Great Forehead, and a pick?
BKN: No no no, we'd need Brown, Smart, and at least two picks.
BOS: Nah.
BKN: Ok.

Or, it went like this:
BOS: Hey, we hear Durant is looking to get out.
BKN:Yeah. What's your offer?
BOS: How about Jalen, the Great Forehead, and a pick?
BKN: No no no, we'd need Brown, Smart, and at least two picks.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

For whatever reason it feels like Stevens has never been a huge fan of brown. Had his standing in the corner too much as a coach. Yanked him early even when hot. I’ve never understood it.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 11:19:22 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

For whatever reason it feels like Stevens has never been a huge fan of brown. Had his standing in the corner too much as a coach. Yanked him early even when hot. I’ve never understood it.

OK, then send him to Utah for Mitchell.  Danny sure lived JB, as did I.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 08:09:20 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I’m a bit confused on the push back for this deal. Seems like a steal to me… effectively a straight up swap. Getting Durant for Brown makes our team a lot better for the next 2-3 years.

I think too many fans have this vision of the team saying g together for another decade but it’s not reality.

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 09:02:54 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'm confused as to what the podcasters and/or writers meant. They're saying it's an offer but also not an offer per se, but wouldn't make it clear as to exactly what was said.

One writer said the deal was on the table, the Nets scoffed at it, and now it's no longer on the table.

Zach Lowe (paraphrasing) said yes it's an offer, but it's not llike an offer offer - like an offer in writing that is binding. (He said something along the lines of being overseen by lawyers - I can never replicate the way Lowe speaks).

I think one or two others (maybe Zach Lowe's guest) said similar things. Something along the lines of fans don't understand what an "offer" actually means in this context.

Obviously there's some things writers can't say. Protecting their sources and whatnot. But I feel there's an element of some of these writers being duped or (as John Karalis suggested, again I'm paraphrasing) some opposing assistant GM vying for something. Of course there's also an element of the Celtics having said something - but exactly what I can't parse out.

Though I have to say, Jaylen Brown and just a couple relatively minor assets - makes me think real hard...

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Based on how Durant returned from his injury, it’s clear his game will age well.

Maybe Brad believes the window won’t be as short as many here think. And while open, it will be wide open with KD, not just ajar with Brown.

I really like White and do not believe we’ve seen the best of him, but he’s an expendable luxury with Brogdon on board.

I don’t believe the Nets will land a better proven player than Brown. They may eventually get better picks than ours would be, but the odds that any of them result in a player of Brown’s caliber is a total crapshoot.
CELTICS 2024