Author Topic: US, Canada, Mexico to host World Cup  (Read 5336 times)

US, Canada, Mexico to host World Cup
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:19:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The three-nation bid captured 134 votes with Morocco earning 65 from the panel.

"This is an incredible, and incredibly important, moment for soccer in North America and beyond," said Carlos Cordeiro, the president of U.S. Soccer.

The 2026 tournament will feature an expanded field of 48 teams -- as opposed to recent editions having 32 -- and will mark the first time in FIFA's history that a three-nation bid has been awarded the showpiece event.

The joint bid's plans call for 60 of the 80 games to be played in the United States -- including all matches from the quarterfinals onward -- while Canada and Mexico host 10 apiece. The final is expected to be played at MetLife Stadium, just outside New York.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3522327/2026-world-cup-us-mexico-canada-joint-bid-wins-fifa-hosting-vote

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: US, Canada, Mexico to host World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Well at least the US MNT won’t get knocked out of qualifying by Trinidad and Tobago again.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yawn

Can't wait to see if soccer hooligans will travel over here and the response.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Well at least the US MNT won’t get knocked out of qualifying by Trinidad and Tobago again.

i am embarassed to say i don't know how automatic qualifications work when there is more than one hosting nation... Do all 3 NTs get a free pass ?

BTW 48 teams tournament..... OMG ..... they are killing the event 

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

i am embarassed to say i don't know how automatic qualifications work when there is more than one hosting nation... Do all 3 NTs get a free pass ?

Given that they’ve expanded the tournament to 48 teams, I would assume all hosts get one.  Otherwise I’d guess just the US since they’re hosting 60 of the 80 games and most or all of the knockout stage matches.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Given that they’ve expanded the tournament to 48 teams, I would assume all hosts get one.  Otherwise I’d guess just the US since they’re hosting 60 of the 80 games and most or all of the knockout stage matches.

FIFA hasn’t decided yet, but Mexico and Canada expect they’ll get automatically qualified.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Don't blame them for trying to milk it. It makes them billions.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
"Mexico and Canada will pay for it all!" - Trump  :P

Anyways, maybe I could see a game or two at Gillette Stadium if it happens  ;D

On the other hand, it will definitely get crazy around 2026 for sure with all the tourists/soccer fans coming into the country, but that's to be expected.

Also, I don't mind the 48-team field. People might call me crazy, but it's kind of absurd some teams are left out simply because in a 32 team field and with so many countries/continents they are "left out". Oceania some years could have zero countries in the WC due to the qualifying format which is honestly kind of ridiculous if you're trying to promote the tournament further and preach diversity/parity around the world.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Don't blame them for trying to milk it. It makes them billions.
honestly I don't think the quality will go down all that much. 

Here is how the 48 will be determined with the current in ()

Europe - 16 (13)
Africa - 9 (5)
Asia - 8.5 (4.5)
South America - 6 (4.5)
Concacaf 6.5 (3.5)
Oceania 1 (.5)
Host 1 (1)

Assuming US, Mexico, and Canada all get auto bids that still leave 4 slots for the rest of North America.  Asia and Africa have been growing soccer countries for awhile and them getting more teams is probably a good thing, plus you get an extra 3 from Europe and an extra 1.5 from South America. 

They are going to do 16, 3 team groups with the top 2 advancing to the knockout stage for a 32 team knockout field.  The thought is that by only having 3 team groups, there will be a lot of crap games that aren't played (where teams are fine with a 0-0 draw), though it does make scheduling a bit strange since there will always be a team with a day off.  But even in the scenario where both teams playing have already beaten the other, the game still matters for who wins the group so the boring draws will hopefully not happen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff

Europe - 16 (13)
Africa - 9 (5)
Asia - 8.5 (4.5)
South America - 6 (4.5)
Concacaf 6.5 (3.5)
Oceania 1 (.5)
Host 1 (1)

Assuming US, Mexico, and Canada all get auto bids that still leave 4 slots for the rest of North America.  Asia and Africa have been growing soccer countries for awhile and them getting more teams is probably a good thing, plus you get an extra 3 from Europe and an extra 1.5 from South America. 

They are going to do 16, 3 team groups with the top 2 advancing to the knockout stage for a 32 team knockout field.  The thought is that by only having 3 team groups, there will be a lot of crap games that aren't played (where teams are fine with a 0-0 draw), though it does make scheduling a bit strange since there will always be a team with a day off.  But even in the scenario where both teams playing have already beaten the other, the game still matters for who wins the group so the boring draws will hopefully not happen.

The quality has already gone down with the 32 teams. 9 teams fro Asia ??? Sure they are getting better.... but 9 teams to the world cup is insane

In Brazil 4 years   ago just one team from Asia/Africa manaed to qualify . If we include Australia in 6groups the last team was from Asia/Africa

16 teams from europe seems crazy too! Imho the whoile thing is more of PR , to keep FIFA members happy to vote for Infantino again 

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Europe - 16 (13)
Africa - 9 (5)
Asia - 8.5 (4.5)
South America - 6 (4.5)
Concacaf 6.5 (3.5)
Oceania 1 (.5)
Host 1 (1)

The quality has already gone down with the 32 teams. 9 teams fro Asia ??? Sure they are getting better.... but 9 teams to the world cup is insane

In Brazil 4 years   ago just one team from Asia/Africa manaed to qualify . If we include Australia in 6groups the last team was from Asia/Africa

16 teams from europe seems crazy too! Imho the whoile thing is more of PR , to keep FIFA members happy to vote for Infantino again
If you look at the current rankings, the 9th ranked African team is ranked 52nd.  They also have over 50 countries that classify as African, and that 52nd ranking would actually be 4th in North America as Jamaica is 54th and Panama is 55th and those are the 4th and 5th ranked North American teams (the US is 25th in the world making their failure to qualify even more astounding).  North America has something like 37 nations though, so while the rankings aren't great they have the large number of nations (like Africa), which makes them the exact opposite of South America, where Paraguay is ranked 32nd in the world and is the 7th ranked S. American team.  Venezuala is 33rd and is obviously the 8th ranked S.A. team.  That said, South America only has 10 nations, so giving them more then 6 seems like a stretch. 

Oceania only has 11 teams and the highest ranked is currently New Zealand at 120th.  They probably shouldn't have been given that automatic birth, but I guess I don't have a real issue with it.  Asia getting up to 8.5 teams seems a bit high as the highest ranked team is Australia at 36.  Lebanon at 79th is the 9th ranked team and would thus have a shot at getting in.  As for Europe, the 16th ranked European team is currently Austria who is 26th in the world.  They have 12 other teams ranked inside the top 48 that wouldn't be able to qualify.  I have no problem with them having 16 bids especially when you consider they have something like 55 nations that classify as European.  They should probably have more with Asia and Africa having less honestly.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 02:50:33 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
The number of countries in each federation is irrelevant.... It is not general elections. Representation is important but having competitive tournament is more important.

Your example with Lebanon IMHO is the best counterargument to the expansion. The 9th assian team ranks 79thad we the new format we quarantee a place in the world Cup.... That is already a low level team and possibly an even worse could qualify.

I used Asia and Africa as examples. The same applies for every federation. Greece and Ukraine are in the top48 but today they have absolutely no place in the wc. Even Netherlands doesn't have a place.