Author Topic: Boston Globe: TD Bank North Garden should have been fundraising for City  (Read 11252 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Great article out of the Boston Globe where some meddling kids discovered that TD BankNorth Garden promised to host fund raising events for community activities and has yet to do so.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/07/13/these-teens-went-searching-years-funding-for-community-ice-rink-they-found-out-something-about-garden-that-one-had-realized/HjmmadXhxJcvpvkGKmXsYK/amp.html

The main gist of it is:

Twenty-four years ago, the owner of the Boston Garden wanted a new arena, and local lawmakers wanted a stream of funding to help build and maintain the city’s recreational facilities, such as hockey rinks.

So they reached a deal: As part of winning state approval for a new $160 million facility, home to the Boston Celtics and the Boston Bruins, the owner of the Garden would host three fund-raisers a year to benefit the agency that oversees the city’s recreational facilities.

And that they haven't done that.  Good work to the kids!  Hopefully Jacobs gets his act together, getting kind of sick of that guy  >:(

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If I remember correctly the current Garden almost never got built.  The Legislature (maybe Tom Finneran was House speaker then?) put up more than their share of opposition (similar to what later happened with the Pats attempts to build a stadium).  The thing finally got resolved after a summit meeting chaired by Father Monan of BC because the project had reached an impasse. 

Sounds like Jacobs made a few promises that no one held him to.  Great job by the students. The story really shed some light on how business was done in Boston back then.  I just remember sports fans being ticked off because the old Garden had literally become a rat trap.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I certainly wouldn't put this past Jeremy Jacobs.

Nice job by the kids here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Twenty-four years ago, the owner of the Boston Garden wanted a new arena, and local lawmakers wanted a stream of funding to help build and maintain the city’s recreational facilities, such as hockey rinks.

So they reached a deal: As part of winning state approval for a new $160 million facility, home to the Boston Celtics and the Boston Bruins, the owner of the Garden would host three fund-raisers a year to benefit the agency that oversees the city’s recreational facilities.

And then the fund-raising deal was forgotten. It was not until this past spring, when a group of teenagers from Hyde Square — eager to find funding for a new hockey rink in their neighborhood — began researching the old agreement that anyone realized the truth: The Garden had not held even one of those promised fund-raisers.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/07/13/these-teens-went-searching-years-funding-for-community-ice-rink-they-found-out-something-about-garden-that-one-had-realized/HjmmadXhxJcvpvkGKmXsYK/amp.html

PS looked around the forums to see if this was posted elsewhere, but did not find something. If I am wrong, just close the thread. Thank you.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

And then the fund-raising deal was forgotten. It was not until this past spring, when a group of teenagers from Hyde Square — eager to find funding for a new hockey rink in their neighborhood — began researching the old agreement that anyone realized the truth: The Garden had not held even one of those promised fund-raisers.

PS looked around the forums to see if this was posted elsewhere, but did not find something. If I am wrong, just close the thread. Thank you.

I think I've seen it here earlier this week.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@saltlover

could well be the case since it was published by Boston Globe, (scratches head)

PS thanks mods, and apologies for the double posting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:35:29 PM by greece666 »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Re: Boston Globe: TD Bank North Garden should have been fundraising for City
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It may have been an empty promise that no one ever intended on holding Jacobs to, but if it is in writing he needs to be held accountable.

I hope someone in the Massachusetts legislator takes this seriously. Billionares getting public funding to build arenas of which they profit from is kind of gross and unacceptable in my view. The least they could do is give back a little to the community that supports them.