Author Topic: What trades or signings do you want to see, to end the offseason?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
What trades or signings do you want to see, to end the offseason?  I'm not talking about major trades but the little tweaks that can polish the roster.  I have two trades I think that would improve our bench and help for the long season and playoffs.

Celtics Trade - Pritchard and Kornet
Pacers Trade - Jalen Smith

Pritchard takes over that 3rd guard spot, specially since this would give them the ability to trade McConnell which they've talked about.  Kornet gives them a cheaper center to help backup Turner and Jackson.  Jalen Smith I think would be the perfect Celtic.  He can play the 4 or the 5 and with Horford's age next year with an extension he becomes the new starter next to Porzingis or first big off the bench.  I'm also giving them a 2nd if that's what it takes.  Quata or Gabriel then could become the 4th big, even though personally I'm letting them both go before the season and bring back Griffin to pair with Smith as the backups.

Celtics Trade - Hauser
Magic Trade - Cole Anthony

Hauser to the Magic gives them a 3 or 4 that can shoot the ball.  Plus they have plenty of point guards and Cole seems to be the odd man out specially after drafting Black.  Anthony fits what the Celtics are going for more now, talent and upside talent.  Anthony running the second unit could be dangerous, plus he can be more of an actual point guard then Pritchard. 

What are your offseason trades you'd like to see to finish the roster?  They won't be huge cause of the money issue that Celtics are in now but they can still make moves like the two I made.   

Re: What trades or signings do you want to see, to end the offseason?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 06:26:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd be fine with TPE + #2 for Jalen Smith.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 06:36:26 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I like Cole Anthony as a backup, but Jalen Smith disappointed me once he actually started getting playing time in Indiana. He just plays really soft and he won't be as valuable once he's actually making a non-rookie salary. Also, he showed that he can't really play the 4 which means he doesn't have that versatility bonus. He really maxes out as a backup 5 only.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 08:33:56 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I like Cole Anthony as a backup, but Jalen Smith disappointed me once he actually started getting playing time in Indiana. He just plays really soft and he won't be as valuable once he's actually making a non-rookie salary. Also, he showed that he can't really play the 4 which means he doesn't have that versatility bonus. He really maxes out as a backup 5 only.
responded.

I watched quite a few indy games last year.  He's not soft but he plays out of control and took a high volume of shots in a short period of pt.  He was also out of position a lot on D.  It takes bigs longer to develop and he still has a chance to be a rotation player.  With the Cs all in they need established vets over projects.

PP is going to be a lot more vital this year then people realize. 

I don't think we will see trades until the guys like Brissett are trade eligible. 

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 08:50:45 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I've looked through the bargain bin bigs a few times and I keep side-eyeing Andre Drummond.  He's not particularly good, but he's cheap, large, mobile, and could potentially be had for insignificant cost.  I really just need him to soak some minutes on guys like Giannis and Embiid to keep Zinger, Al, and Tatum as fresh as possible.  I'm not asking him to do much.  I'm not even necessarily asking him to do it well.  Just take the bullet, really.

I don't know.  Maybe I'm crazy.  Thoughts?

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 09:33:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I've looked through the bargain bin bigs a few times and I keep side-eyeing Andre Drummond.  He's not particularly good, but he's cheap, large, mobile, and could potentially be had for insignificant cost.  I really just need him to soak some minutes on guys like Giannis and Embiid to keep Zinger, Al, and Tatum as fresh as possible.  I'm not asking him to do much.  I'm not even necessarily asking him to do it well.  Just take the bullet, really.

He would never work in today's NBA. Way too slow and not a threat outside the paint.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 09:46:25 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676

He would never work in today's NBA. Way too slow and not a threat outside the paint.

I don't actually think he's that slow (agreed on the other point though).  And given the fact that we added KP and traded Rob, I suspect that we'll shift away from the 'switch everything' philosophy that would get Drummond played off the court.  Again:  I don't want him doing much.  I don't want him playing every night.  I'm interested in him as an answer for the physicality of guys like Giannis and Embiid, who we otherwise have few effective answers for at the moment.  And that's pretty much it.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 10:26:53 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I don't actually think he's that slow (agreed on the other point though).  And given the fact that we added KP and traded Rob, I suspect that we'll shift away from the 'switch everything' philosophy that would get Drummond played off the court.  Again:  I don't want him doing much.  I don't want him playing every night.  I'm interested in him as an answer for the physicality of guys like Giannis and Embiid, who we otherwise have few effective answers for at the moment.  And that's pretty much it.

I think its a great idea. Drummond is 1 year removed from a 12/10 season with Brooklyn and he played 67 games last year with Chicago so he's clearly still durable. Would fit right into the Center rotation as long as he accepts a low spot in the rotation.

Jalen Smith would make better Salary balast though which we need to swing a larger trade.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 08:51:39 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
The idea of trading for Andre Drummond honestly is something I'd enjoy.  Come playoff time the game can slow down and turn into a defensive game.  A second round pick and he'd fit in the TPE from Grant Williams.  Honestly I'd still go after the two players I suggested still wit Jalen Smith and Cole Anthony.  Drummond becomes your backup center or 3rd while Smith becomes your backup power forward.  These two together fix the six and defense we're missing with both Williams being gone.

Reggie Bullock was a name I've been seeing come up with the Celtics and I'm all for Bullock, Brissett and Mykhailiuk and Lamar Stevens being the bench small forwards and shooting guards or small power forwards.   

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 08:57:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Would love Willy Hernangomez. Great rebounder, decent passer and scorer, solid defender. Doubt we could tempt him away from Spain, but we did it with Svi...

Would also be happy with Biyombo.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 10:15:57 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
responded.

I watched quite a few indy games last year.  He's not soft but he plays out of control and took a high volume of shots in a short period of pt.  He was also out of position a lot on D.  It takes bigs longer to develop and he still has a chance to be a rotation player.  With the Cs all in they need established vets over projects.

PP is going to be a lot more vital this year then people realize. 

I don't think we will see trades until the guys like Brissett are trade eligible.

So, he was like a tall version of Aaron Nesmith?

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2023, 11:27:12 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Would love Willy Hernangomez. Great rebounder, decent passer and scorer, solid defender. Doubt we could tempt him away from Spain, but we did it with Svi...

Pretty sure Hernangomez signed for decent money in Spain this year.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2023, 11:43:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Pretty sure Hernangomez signed for decent money in Spain this year.
I knew he'd signed long-term, but hadn't seen money. Every few months I wish for Willy Hernangomez, yet I am always disappointed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)