Author Topic: My dream plan (please check my CBA knowledge)  (Read 2905 times)

My dream plan (please check my CBA knowledge)
« on: September 28, 2023, 09:39:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Question:  can we sign-and-trade Blake Griffin in a deal?  I get very confused by the anti-spending rules sometimes, but I think we can?  Portland isn't above the apron (and wouldn't be after this trade), so it works on their end, and I don't think there are restrictions on us regarding trading Blake if he agrees.

If so, it's theoretically possible to do:

Brogdon + Pritchard + Kornet + Blake + Walsh + picks, I believe

Brogdon:  $22,500,000

Blake:  $3,276,360 = minimum salary.  We can sign him for up to 120% of that, so $3,931,632

Walsh:  $1,119,563   

Kornet:  $2,413,304

Pritchard:  $4,037,278

Hauser:  $1,927,896   

Salary figure we'd need to hit:  $33,510,642.73

So, my plan:

Step one:  trade Brogdon + Pritchard + Walsh + Griffin (S&T) for Jrue

Step two:  sign Cameron Payne as a backup

Step three:  Find a Kornet replacement.  Bismack Biyombo?

Step four:  profit

Timelord / Horford / Biyombo
KP / Brissett / Stevens
Tatum / Hauser
Brown / White / Svi
Jrue / Payne / Banton

* My actual dream plan would be to skip Biyombo, bring in Boogie Cousins, and sign Iguodala to be an unofficial player-coach, haha
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 10:27:34 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: My dream plan (please check my CBA knowledge)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 09:51:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
"dream on, dream on, dream on, dream until your dreams come true..."

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 11:38:42 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Yes we can.  I even proposed it already.  :)

Can not do a deal without Rob or Al involved.

I think Brogdon, Pritchard, and Kornet should work salary-wise, but I’m not 100% sure.  I haven’t had the chance this summer to catch up on when the rule phases in that you’re not allowed to make a trade to go over the second apron — my initial understanding is that was next season, but I could be wrong.

Salaries need to be within 110% for us, I believe.

Thanks.  Guess we’d have to convince Blake Griffin to do us a solid and go to Portland in a sign-and-trade and send out Walsh.  So:

Brogdon
Pritchard
Kornet
Walsh
Griffin S&T at $3.6 million
2024 1st
Cash for Griffin (I think the no cash trading starts next year for second apron, because it’s if you finish the prior year above it.  I think).

For Jrue?

Thins us out a little at the PG position, but not a ton overall unless you think Walsh was going to be a major player this year.

Like, I know the deal isn’t happening, but it’s technically possible.

We also can find a third team to send Blake to, if he would rather not go to Portland.  The Knicks seem like a viable landing spot, especially if we sent them a 2nd for helping.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think Brogdon, Pritchard, and Kornet should work salary-wise, but I’m not 100% sure.  I haven’t had the chance this summer to catch up on when the rule phases in that you’re not allowed to make a trade to go over the second apron — my initial understanding is that was next season, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.  Guess we’d have to convince Blake Griffin to do us a solid and go to Portland in a sign-and-trade and send out Walsh.  So:

Brogdon
Pritchard
Kornet
Walsh
2024 1st
Cash for Griffin (I think the no cash trading starts next year for second apron, because it’s if you finish the prior year above it.  I think).

For Jrue?

Thins us out a little at the PG position, but not a ton overall unless you think Walsh was going to be a major player this year.

We also can find a third team to send Blake to, if he would rather not go to Portland.  The Knicks seem like a viable landing spot, especially if we sent them a 2nd for helping.

Haha.  Nice call.  I guess I'm not as original as I thought.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 01:06:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Brogdon
Pritchard
Kornet
Walsh
2024 1st

For Jrue?

Haha.  Nice call.  I guess I'm not as original as I thought.

I was surprised you missed it!  It was a Jrue proposal!

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 01:43:27 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Jrue has two years left on his deal, right? 

So he'd be 35 at the end of that deal. 

Whatever we could conceivably give up, that should be kept in mind.  It's not like he's 30.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 07:42:07 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Question:  can we sign-and-trade Blake Griffin in a deal?  I get very confused by the anti-spending rules sometimes, but I think we can?  Portland isn't above the apron (and wouldn't be after this trade), so it works on their end, and I don't think there are restrictions on us regarding trading Blake if he agrees.

Blake:  $3,276,360 = minimum salary.  We can sign him for up to 120% of that, so $3,931,632

So, my plan:

KP / Brissett / Stevens
Tatum / Hauser
Brown / White / Svi
Jrue / Payne / Banton

* My actual dream plan would be to skip Biyombo, bring in Boogie Cousins, and sign Iguodala to be an unofficial player-coach, haha

If allowed to sign and trade Blake for $3,931,632, we should do the full amount and push to keep Jordan Walsh (or even Hauser)

Brogdon, Pritchard, Hauser,  Blake, & Kornet = $34.8M. Should be enough salary to match for Jrue Holiday ($36.8M).

The Blazers can trade Brogdon to a better situation for more assets.
Keep Pritchard, Hauser, & the picks. Possibly waive Kornet before his January guarantee date.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 07:52:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So, my plan:

KP / Brissett / Stevens
Tatum / Hauser
Brown / White / Svi
Jrue / Payne / Banton

If allowed to sign and trade Blake for $3,931,632, we should do the full amount and push to keep Jordan Walsh (or even Hauser)

Brogdon, Pritchard, Hauser,  Blake, & Kornet = $34.8M. Should be enough salary to match for Jrue Holiday ($36.8M).

The Blazers can trade Brogdon to a better situation for more assets.
Keep Pritchard, Hauser, & the picks. Possibly waive Kornet before his January guarantee date.

We would have to send one of Hauser or Walsh, I believe.  I elected to keep Hauser.

The only "tricky" part I see is getting Blake to agree to a sign-and-trade, but it's not really that big of a hiccup.  He gets more than $3.5 million for simply showing up before being waived.  We send the players enough cash to pay his salary.  Everybody wins.

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 09:25:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The defence of the group you listed would be incredible
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 09:37:04 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Am I the only crazy person that thinks if somehow that trade were to go down, I’d still want White to start and Jrue off the bench?

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 09:40:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The defence of the group you listed would be incredible
It would be, and even better if you give up Hauser instead of Walsh.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 09:46:36 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Interesting idea. The Griffin piece is tricky, no reason for him not to do it but the league may frown on it. I would offer Hauser over Walsh, we now have Brissett and Stevens, not a show stopper either way. And there are back up PGs out there to backfill Pritchard.  We could elevate Queta to replace Kornet.

If the Celtics are really in discussion, this is probably the framework. POR still would need to move Brogdon. Managing roster slots starts to become an issue for them.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 03:24:31 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Jared Weiss of The Athletic is scouring the forums for trade ideas.  From his piece this morning:

The Celtics could toss in a combination such as Payton Pritchard, Luke Kornet, Sam Hauser, Jordan Walsh and a sign-and-traded Blake Griffin to potentially make the matching work

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 03:39:01 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I don’t want to give up all those depth pieces, in addition to a possibly very good future player in Walsh, to upgrade from Brogdon to Jrue. Sorry. I guess part of me thinks that we’d never backfill the freed up positions with anyone good. Brad never does.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 04:22:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I don’t want to give up all those depth pieces, in addition to a possibly very good future player in Walsh, to upgrade from Brogdon to Jrue. Sorry. I guess part of me thinks that we’d never backfill the freed up positions with anyone good. Brad never does.

What are the depth pieces?  Hauser and Kornet, two guys Brad signed last time we gutted the roster because of trades?  Griffen isn’t even on the team.  It’s better to create open spots during training camp, when a few usable players will shake out, than the deadline.