Author Topic: Giannis Pulling Rank In Milwaukee?  (Read 5580 times)

Giannis Pulling Rank In Milwaukee?
« on: August 30, 2023, 10:26:46 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Giannis Antetokounmpo said he does not plan to sign a contract extension with the Milwaukee Bucks when he becomes eligible next month and that he won't sign one until he's comfortable knowing the organization will continue to compete for a championship.

In an interview with The New York Times published Thursday, the two-time MVP said "numbers-wise it doesn't make sense," adding that the organization still has something to prove before he potentially signs an extension next summer.

"Next summer it would make more sense for both parties. Even then, I don't know," Antetokounmpo said in the interview. "I would not be the best version of myself if I don't know that everybody's on the same page, everybody's going for a championship, everybody's going to sacrifice time away from their family like I do. And if I don't feel that, I'm not signing."

"At the end of the day, being a winner, it's over that goal," Antetokounmpo told The Times. "Winning a championship comes first. I don't want to be 20 years on the same team and don't win another championship."

———

Source: Jamal Collier, ESPN
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 10:36:00 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Giannis Pulling Rank In Milwaukee?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 10:57:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Well maybe if he didn't miss 2 games and then in the closeout game go 10 of 23 from the line.  A game they were winning by 16 entering the 4th quarter.  They'd have won the title again this year. 

Financially it doesn't make sense for him to extend this summer, but he needs to stay healthy and learn how to hit some foul shots for Milwaukee to get back to the Finals.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 11:03:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well maybe if he didn't miss 2 games and then in the closeout game go 10 of 23 from the line.  A game they were winning by 16 entering the 4th quarter.  They'd have won the title again this year. 

Financially it doesn't make sense for him to extend this summer, but he needs to stay healthy and learn how to hit some foul shots for Milwaukee to get back to the Finals.
It's so odd - his first two All-Star seasons, he was around the 77% mark from the line. Since then, 68%, including 2 seasons below 65%.

A similar thing happened to Westbrook, except more dramatic. Russ was an 82% FT shooter over his first 9 seasons. Since then? 69% over 5 seasons.

How do these star players forget how to shoot FTs?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 11:11:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

It's so odd - his first two All-Star seasons, he was around the 77% mark from the line. Since then, 68%, including 2 seasons below 65%.

A similar thing happened to Westbrook, except more dramatic. Russ was an 82% FT shooter over his first 9 seasons. Since then? 69% over 5 seasons.

Practice and discipline

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 11:22:42 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Celtics should try to convince him if he wants to team up with Tatum, Brown, and Porzingis

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 11:31:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Practice and discipline
Giannis gets plenty of FT practice ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 12:27:47 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Practice and discipline

Or the yips
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 02:53:00 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

Milwaukee wasn't winning squat last year. They split the 2 games Giannis missed and gave up 127ppg to the Heat over 5 games. They were awful on defense all series. 

Their defense is on the decline. That was evident before the playoffs ever started. I don't expect it to improve going forward.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 08:30:16 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Even then, I don't know

Sounds like he's gone. I heard a rumor that he wants to go to the Knicks.  >:(

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 09:32:14 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Don’t think it will happen this year but Brad can go big fish hunting the year after. JB or KP plus picks. That being said, I do expect MIL to try and make moves to bolster that roster.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 10:19:03 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Probably want a big market team like LA or New York
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
On a side note, my buddy was recently in Greece for a wedding and randomly bumped into Giannis and one of his brothers in a club. My friend chatted with the brother for a while, says they were very nice and approachable.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2023, 11:48:35 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
As much as we like stars to be loyal and commit to their teams, this makes sense.  And it maybe it's just because Giannis is a likeable guy, but this is better than the fake "I want to stay here for life" and the also fake "I haven't thought about that yet, I'm just concentrating on this season."

He can sign a 3 year extension that would take him through '28 (or maybe '29 not sure how the option year on his current contract works with this).  And this season Lopez will be 35, Jrue will be 33, and Middleton will be 32.  And all the Bucks 1st round picks from '24 to '27 are traded away or the worse end of a swap, and they have no desirable young players, and not a top free agent destination.  Really what are the Bucks going to look like in '25, '26, '27?  Who would really want to commit to that situation long term, where if you do you risk ending up like Lillard?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 12:32:12 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Giannis Antetokounmpo said he does not plan to sign a contract extension with the Milwaukee Bucks when he becomes eligible next month and that he won't sign one until he's comfortable knowing the organization will continue to compete for a championship.

In an interview with The New York Times published Thursday, the two-time MVP said "numbers-wise it doesn't make sense," adding that the organization still has something to prove before he potentially signs an extension next summer.

"Next summer it would make more sense for both parties. Even then, I don't know," Antetokounmpo said in the interview. "I would not be the best version of myself if I don't know that everybody's on the same page, everybody's going for a championship, everybody's going to sacrifice time away from their family like I do. And if I don't feel that, I'm not signing."

"At the end of the day, being a winner, it's over that goal," Antetokounmpo told The Times. "Winning a championship comes first. I don't want to be 20 years on the same team and don't win another championship."

———

Source: Jamal Collier, ESPN

Is Giannis calling out his teammates? It seems to me that ownership and management have paved the way for the team to win titles. That bolded quote just stands out to me.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 03:43:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Subtract his body off  the court , they would struggle to earn a playoff spot IMO .

Giannis certainly matters .

I d trade Brown for Giannis  ;D