Author Topic: Anybody Else Worried and How I'd Fix It  (Read 7108 times)

Re: Anybody Else Worried and How I'd Fix It
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2023, 07:55:16 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Why are Celtics fans so worried about replacing smart (10ppg) and Grant (8ppg) but not a 26 yo 2nd team all pro who averages 26ppg?

Also I find it odd that Celtics fans are worried about team building 3-4-5 years in the future. Let's win 1 ring first before we start worrying about what to do when Tatum/brown are both on supermaxes. And having brown on this roster is your best shot to get a championship.

It's putting the cart before the horse. Imagine you trade Brown because you want to cheap out and not commit to him. Team takes a step back....now Tatum is in his prime and has no ring and you traded his friend because you were cheap...You could be dealing with a nightmare scenario where he wants out.

As much as I like smart and grant. Both are roleplayers. It's much easier to find a Marcus smart/grant Williams than it is to find a Jaylen Brown.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 08:16:34 PM by cman88 »

Re: Anybody Else Worried and How I'd Fix It
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2023, 09:53:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Jaylen Brown was 9th in the league in scoring last season. He scores from everywhere on the floor. He defends 4 positions and can be trusted to switch onto centers when he has to. He's 26 years old which means he's only just now entering his prime and has a track record of work ethic and improving his game.

Fans need to catch up to the fact that Jaylen Brown is one of the best players in the NBA. He's considerably better than plenty of players who have gotten max contracts in the past.

I'm looking forward to watching this team. White/Brown/Tatum/Timelord/Porzingis with Pritchard/Brogdon/Brissett/Hauser/Horford is a team with a lot of size, shooting, versatility. The coaching staff has been beefed up and the best players will have the room to step into their leadership roles. This team feels, to me, like things have fallen into place.

First from what I'm find Brown was not 9th in total scoring, he was 14th, with 1784 points on the year.  I agree that he's still young and could improve to be better, but I don't think he gets better because of being here with Tatum.  I think him and Tatum overlap to much and Tatum would excel even more with better pieces around him.   

If you taker the players I suggested in this trade, I think they'd play better as a team with Tatum.  Plus they'd cost less money, which means we can build an even better team as a whole.  Trading Malcolm Brogdon is #99 at 1000 points on the year.  So we'd get back, Keldon Johnson is #40 at 1385 points on the year.  Anfernee Simons is #49 at 1306 points on the year.  This isn't including what Scoot Henderson would get you on the year.
Brown was #9 in ppg last season.

Trading a dollar for two 50 cent pieces in the NBA pretty much never leads to a championship. If the C's did your trades they'd have Porzingis, Capela, Timelord and Keldon Johnson. Only two can be on the floor at any given time which means the team you have on the floor at any given moment is less talented. Depth is nice but a player can't help you if he's on the bench.
Why are you grouping a wing in Keldon Johnson with 3 bigs?
Because he plays a lot of 4. And on a team with Jayson Tatum, he's either going to continue to play a lot of 4, or he's going to spend a lot of time on the bench, or he'll be on the floor with Tatum where they are both "forwards" and the original problem of finding time amongst the other bigs exists.

Why are Celtics fans so worried about replacing smart (10ppg) and Grant (8ppg) but not a 26 yo 2nd team all pro who averages 26ppg?

Also I find it odd that Celtics fans are worried about team building 3-4-5 years in the future. Let's win 1 ring first before we start worrying about what to do when Tatum/brown are both on supermaxes. And having brown on this roster is your best shot to get a championship.

It's putting the cart before the horse. Imagine you trade Brown because you want to cheap out and not commit to him. Team takes a step back....now Tatum is in his prime and has no ring and you traded his friend because you were cheap...You could be dealing with a nightmare scenario where he wants out.

As much as I like smart and grant. Both are roleplayers. It's much easier to find a Marcus smart/grant Williams than it is to find a Jaylen Brown.
This.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008