Author Topic: Cs investigating trade value on Smart, Richardson, and others  (Read 11442 times)

Re: Cs investigating trade value on Smart, Richardson, and others
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2022, 12:11:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nonsense rumour. No way Utah who are right there on the precipice of winning a Championship blow up their team and trade an All-Star well rounded PG in Mike Conley for a defensive combo guard whose offense sucks.

Yeah it seems like it makes less sense for Utah who is already in the mix, than it does for the C's.  But maybe they need def and intangibles more than scoring?

Conley brings good defense and intangibles, too, doesn't he?  Along with spacing and floor leadership.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2022, 12:13:54 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Nonsense rumour. No way Utah who are right there on the precipice of winning a Championship blow up their team and trade an All-Star well rounded PG in Mike Conley for a defensive combo guard whose offense sucks.

Yeah it seems like it makes less sense for Utah who is already in the mix, than it does for the C's.  But maybe they need def and intangibles more than scoring?

Conley brings good defense and intangibles, too, doesn't he?  Along with spacing and floor leadership.

He does, but I think Smarts def and intangibles are what Utah is wanting if they trade Conley for him.  I was trying to think of good things to say about Smart ok? haha

To me, it feels like Conley is way off of the timeline for the J's, but others don't seem to have that concern.  If trading smart for Conley helps us get further into the playoffs the next couple years, does that do enough to make JT and JB want to stick around?

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2022, 01:25:10 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

They aren't on the precipice of winning a championship though. Their defense has been really bad this year and they know they need to do something. On top of that, they got a taste of what their team could be like without Conley last post-season. Mitchell raised his game a lot and Conley was mostly an afterthought.

Smart gives them a great defender on the perimeter to sure up their defense and a decent facilitator while Mitchell runs the offense.

While Conley gives us the heady distributor that the Cs have desperately needed. With Richardson, Brown, and Tatum, our defense on the perimeter and wings is still solid.

On top of that, Smart was clearly a Danny Ainge guy. He thinks Smart is a championship caliber player. Is it so surprising that Ainge would be going after Smart?

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
They aren't on the precipice of winning a championship though. Their defense has been really bad this year and they know they need to do something. On top of that, they got a taste of what their team could be like without Conley last post-season. Mitchell raised his game a lot and Conley was mostly an afterthought.

I'm not sure that I agree with all of this.  The Jazz are still 11th in defense, so I wouldn't characterize them as "really bad".  They're also third in Net Rating, which is quite good.

As for last year's playoffs, with Conley they played quite well against Memphis, with Conley averaging 17 points, 9 assists, and 55% 3PT% (!!!)  Without him, they lost the series against the Clippers despite a 2-0 lead.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2022, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I say no to Conley...if Ainge is involved I'd assume he has an undisclosed, degenerative hip or knee.

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2022, 04:51:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Smart gives them a great defender on the perimeter to sure up their defense and a decent facilitator while Mitchell runs the offense.

While Conley gives us the heady distributor that the Cs have desperately needed. With Richardson, Brown, and Tatum, our defense on the perimeter and wings is still solid.

On top of that, Smart was clearly a Danny Ainge guy. He thinks Smart is a championship caliber player. Is it so surprising that Ainge would be going after Smart?
This is not at all true.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2022, 08:34:27 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Marcus Smart pulled Tatum and Brown before tipoff, told them he loves them and the team and basically to keep doing their best and work on their game.

Signs that Marcus Smart is on the trading block and may be headed to Utah?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2022, 08:40:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Marcus Smart pulled Tatum and Brown before tipoff, told them he loves them and the team and basically to keep doing their best and work on their game.

More like signs of a true leader. Smart is not going anywhere.

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2022, 10:21:14 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

Smart needs to go. His skill set at this point is a luxury on a team that has a lot more pressing needs (like a decent point guard). The team is going nowhere and he's probably the best trade asset they have unless they decide to move Brown.

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2022, 07:45:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Smart needs to go. His skill set at this point is a luxury on a team that has a lot more pressing needs (like a decent point guard). The team is going nowhere and he's probably the best trade asset they have unless they decide to move Brown.
This just seems like a really odd thing to say after yesterday: Smart returns, they blow out the Wizards (who are not worse than the Blazers), Smart goes for 11pts/6assists=directly involved in 23 Celtics points and puts up a +36 +/-.

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2022, 07:47:29 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

This just seems like a really odd thing to say after yesterday: Smart returns, they blow out the Wizards (who are not worse than the Blazers), Smart goes for 11pts/6assists=directly involved in 23 Celtics points and puts up a +36 +/-.
Haters gonna hate. After all, Smart is a polarizing player.

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2022, 08:19:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The team is different with Smart, but not necessarily worse.  I think the offense is worse, but the defense is better.  This year, in particular, the team is significantly better when Smart is on the floor then when he is on the bench as his on/off per 100 possessions is +6.9, which is 2nd on the team to only Tatum (+9.1).  That is a little better than years past, but in general Boston is better with Smart than they are without him.  That said, I think you could replace him with a lesser defender but a better offensive player and the team could get better.  Schroder just isn't good enough offensively or defensively to really alter that narrative, but I do like the offense better with Schroder out there as he is an actual PG, something Smart is not. 

With the team as currently constructed, I think they need to go with Schroder, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Williams (I'd say Horford but he isn't shooting well enough to justify him starting).  I don't really like that lineup, but that is the best one for the team in its current state.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2022, 08:49:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

My guess is that Kuberski's comment is based upon more than one game where Tatum went nuclear.

This year the team is 21-18 with Smart.  Last year we were 24-24.

As for +/-, it's a wonky stat.  Last year, Evan Fournier led the team in plus-minus per game.  Tatum was second, followed by Luke Kornet and Kemba Walker.  Then it was Smart, followed by Jeff Teague.  JB was ninth.  Rob Williams was 13th.

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2022, 09:10:44 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

My guess is that Kuberski's comment is based upon more than one game where Tatum went nuclear.

This year the team is 21-18 with Smart.  Last year we were 24-24.

As for +/-, it's a wonky stat.  Last year, Evan Fournier led the team in plus-minus per game.  Tatum was second, followed by Luke Kornet and Kemba Walker.  Then it was Smart, followed by Jeff Teague.  JB was ninth.  Rob Williams was 13th.
Fair enough, but that doesn't mean +/- is completely useless, especially in a case where it is such a large number. Beyond that, Smart directly contributed to 23 Celtics points (points + assists) which I would say made him a positive on the offensive end (in spite of 4 turnovers) to go with his defense.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:18:06 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2022, 09:24:26 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
  That said, I think you could replace him with a lesser defender but a better offensive player and the team could get better. 

Alternatively somehow get a playmaker to play alongside Smart?