Author Topic: Ime: "We’re not going to be a team that cries the whole time [about ref calls]"  (Read 7495 times)

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
Ime brought up the fact that tonight's preseason loss to Miami was in large part due to the fact that the players got too preoccupied and upset about perceived non-calls from the referee and Miami capitalized as a result.

MIAMI — Midway through the third quarter of the Celtics’ 121-100 preseason loss against the Heat on Friday, Boston forward Grant Williams was called for an illegal screen and he was not happy about it. He spun around and waved his arms in disbelief, but the officials did not wait for him to protest. They handed the ball to the Heat, and the game rolled on.

Seconds later Bam Adebayo, who was being guarded by Williams, raced up court and threw down a two-handed dunk before Williams could catch up. Celtics coach Ime Udoka said earlier in training camp that he does not want these Celtics to get caught up in complaining to officials. In this case, he instantly called timeout and took Williams out of the game.

The main thing, I’m telling him to get back and stop worrying about the referee,” Udoka said. “Your guy is bringing it right behind you.”

Udoka said the fact that Williams picked up his fourth foul factored into his decision to send him to the bench, but he acknowledged that the whining was the primary reason. And Williams was not alone. Udoka said Miami’s second-quarter run was the result of the Celtics lack of focus defensively when they were preoccupied with the officiating.

“Just a learning moment,” he said. “You can’t get caught up in that. You have to play through it, just like they did. They played with pace. When we cried about calls, they were running out and got too many easy looks. So something like I said we talked about early in camp. It’s something I’m going to keep hammering away on until we get where we want to be.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/15/sports/with-handful-regulars-sidelined-celtics-close-preseason-with-loss-heat/

I’ll be interested to see if he benches Tatum when he complains to the ref, which he tends to do quite a bit. Believe I saw it a few times last night alone.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Ime brought up the fact that tonight's preseason loss to Miami was in large part due to the fact that the players got too preoccupied and upset about perceived non-calls from the referee and Miami capitalized as a result.

MIAMI — Midway through the third quarter of the Celtics’ 121-100 preseason loss against the Heat on Friday, Boston forward Grant Williams was called for an illegal screen and he was not happy about it. He spun around and waved his arms in disbelief, but the officials did not wait for him to protest. They handed the ball to the Heat, and the game rolled on.

Seconds later Bam Adebayo, who was being guarded by Williams, raced up court and threw down a two-handed dunk before Williams could catch up. Celtics coach Ime Udoka said earlier in training camp that he does not want these Celtics to get caught up in complaining to officials. In this case, he instantly called timeout and took Williams out of the game.

The main thing, I’m telling him to get back and stop worrying about the referee,” Udoka said. “Your guy is bringing it right behind you.”

Udoka said the fact that Williams picked up his fourth foul factored into his decision to send him to the bench, but he acknowledged that the whining was the primary reason. And Williams was not alone. Udoka said Miami’s second-quarter run was the result of the Celtics lack of focus defensively when they were preoccupied with the officiating.

“Just a learning moment,” he said. “You can’t get caught up in that. You have to play through it, just like they did. They played with pace. When we cried about calls, they were running out and got too many easy looks. So something like I said we talked about early in camp. It’s something I’m going to keep hammering away on until we get where we want to be.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/15/sports/with-handful-regulars-sidelined-celtics-close-preseason-with-loss-heat/

I’ll be interested to see if he benches Tatum when he complains to the ref, which he tends to do quite a bit. Believe I saw it a few times last night alone.
I felt this should of happened last game. Tatum lost xcontrol and wasn't getting back on defense to complain. Tatum even got a Tek and warned multiple times.
We know the refs can be terrible but you can't cost the team even more by sitting there complaining allowing a 5 on 4.

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

I felt this should of happened last game. Tatum lost xcontrol and wasn't getting back on defense to complain. Tatum even got a Tek and warned multiple times.
We know the refs can be terrible but you can't cost the team even more by sitting there complaining allowing a 5 on 4.

Especially when teams run so much now they will get easy baskets.  You do this 2 to 3 times a game and they get 4 to 7 pts it could mean the difference in the game.  Glad we have a coach who sees this and is going to stop it. 

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
This guy is full of it. He loves to hear himself talk. Players will tune out a guy who won’t stop talking to the press. Go look at the Hawks. They were in 11th place at one point last year under a coach they couldn’t stand. They replace him with a guy who keeps quiet and the team takes off.

Brad had a lot of success in Boston. People underestimate how Brad’s style allowed players to flourish. I don’t think the same thing will happen under Udoka.

Why isn't Coach Udoka speaking up to the refs so his players don't have to?

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This guy is full of it. He loves to hear himself talk. Players will tune out a guy who won’t stop talking to the press. Go look at the Hawks. They were in 11th place at one point last year under a coach they couldn’t stand. They replace him with a guy who keeps quiet and the team takes off.

Brad had a lot of success in Boston. People underestimate how Brad’s style allowed players to flourish. I don’t think the same thing will happen under Udoka.

First off its preseason, don't think it's a good idea for a new coach. Second it will take league action to change calls on the regular. Most teams put together tapes and league puts together tapes so calling out refs in game is bad. But players "playing nice" is the best way to get real time results. Refs will make up calls if they mess things up and understand it, but call them out and they will be bitter and not make it up. This is the reasons for not complaining. 

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

First off its preseason, don't think it's a good idea for a new coach. Second it will take league action to change calls on the regular. Most teams put together tapes and league puts together tapes so calling out refs in game is bad. But players "playing nice" is the best way to get real time results. Refs will make up calls if they mess things up and understand it, but call them out and they will be bitter and not make it up. This is the reasons for not complaining.

All the best coaches get T'd up for their players.

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

As fans we all love to scream and yell at the ref when there's an injustice committed, because we're not actually out there and it's fun to have a target to blame for some perceived unfairness. But I think when you're actually playing those non-calls, while unfair they may be, are things that can distract your concentration if you let them. While you're complaining and feeling robbed the other team is already on to the next play. I just think some of our players have spent too much time growing up watching LeBum and others complaining about calls and are trying to play that same game. LeBum is the best at moaning for ref calls but he can maintain his concentration on the next play.

I generally put ref calls in that "out of my control" bucket, whatever they call they call, just deal with it and move on to the next play because the other team is moving on. Complain if you want but focus on the next play instead of standing there arguing with the ref while the ball is already being inbounded by the other team. You can see it in sports in general, tennis, football, hockey, soccer...once you get too distracted and frustrated by having a "we wuz robbed" feeling you start to lose concentration and it gives the other team a huge advantage. I support what Ime is doing, I don't want us to be a team of complainers, once you get that rep in the league no ref will give you the time of day.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

All the best coaches get T'd up for their players.
In preseason?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
More on the "crying to the refs" from Ime. Look how many times he brought it up in his post game presser. It sounds like he's really determined to stamp that behavior out of the Celtics. I'm guessing he cares less about the actual missed calls (he said "fouls will even up") and more about the fact that doing so distracts the team and makes it lose focus because they start focusing more on their grievances than on what they can actually do, which is overcome things.

He seems to consider it to be a mental weakness and an inability to play through adversity, especially if there's an external thing to focus their misfortunes on. From the last quote in the article below Ime seems to be the kind of guy that just deals with adversity and focuses on what he can control ("let me be the guy that complains to the referee...but that's not the team we want to be and that's not who I am so I don't want us complaining about every call"). That might not be good news to some of the more...excitable members of our game threads who might want him to be spraying righteous spittle at the face of the referee after a missed call  :angel:

A big point of emphasis on that front from Udoka has been playing through adversity, particularly when it comes to tough calls from officials. The head coach spoke at length earlier this preseason about not wanting to be a team that cries about calls.

Grant Williams found himself doing exactly that however with just under eight minutes to play in the third quarter on Friday night against the Miami Heat. Williams was whistled for a moving screen and spent the next few seconds pleading his case to officials rather than finding his man back on defense. Heat big man Bam Adebayo took advantage of the distraction by going coast-to-coast for a dunk as Williams was unable to recover to him in time. Udoka called timeout immediately after the play and replaced Williams with Juancho Hernangomez after the timeout. The head coach spoke about the benching after the 122-100 Celtics’ loss.

“Two reasons,” Udoka said of sitting Williams down. “Him complaining, but also I think he picked up his fourth foul on that play if I remember correctly, but yeah. The main thing, I’m telling him to get back and stop worrying about the referee - your guy is bringing it right behind you. So that was part of it, but I think he did have his fourth foul as well.

“Just a learning moment. You can’t get caught up in that. You have to play through it just like they did. They played with pace. When we cried about calls, they were running out and got too many easy looks. So something like I said we talked about early in camp. It’s something I’m going to keep hammering away on until we get where we want to be.”

The Celtics played well in much of the first half against the Miami Heat despite missing five rotation players for the matchup. However, after building a six-point first quarter lead, Boston started coming unglued when whistles didn’t go their way in the second quarter. That’s a trend Udoka does want to see continue as the regular season approaches.

It’s a common theme with us, and I want us to improve vastly in that area,” he said. “To your point, when things started going bad in the second quarter, we didn’t get a few foul calls, we lost composure on the other end, and started crying to the refs a little too much to get out in transition. We lost our focus on shooters, and I felt that was because of some of the foul calls. Just keep attacking the basket. Fouls are going to even out. But gotta keep our composure there. Say one thing and get back if you have to, but we want to keep technicals back and for the most part stay mentally tougher than we have been so far.”

Between the Williams’ benching and Marcus Smart’s one-game suspension for missing a team flight earlier this week, Udoka is working hard to set new standards for his revamped roster. Whether or not the team falls in line with his rules remains to be seen but he’s attempting to set a culture that holds his players accountable on and off the floor.

“You guys play through plays and move onto the next thing and let me be the guy that complains to the refs.” Udoka said earlier this month. “But that’s not the team we want to be and that’s not who I am, so I don’t want the team to start crying about every call.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/10/ime-udoka-benched-grant-williams-for-complaining-to-refs-in-celtics-loss-to-heat-its-a-common-theme-with-us.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Glad to see this!! Seem like Tatum does that a lot
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
My favorite was when the bench players were wearing EQUALITY on the back of the jerseys last year and not getting many calls in their favor while all the super stars were.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
My favorite was when the bench players were wearing EQUALITY on the back of the jerseys last year and not getting many calls in their favor while all the super stars were.

It is now a Tatum staple, to the point that he looks like he is doing it even when he isn’t.