Author Topic: The Celtics are real underdogs this year.  (Read 2385 times)

The Celtics are real underdogs this year.
« on: October 12, 2021, 03:08:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
While reading all the preseason projections I see that The Celtics are real underdogs this year. The Celtics have always overachieved as underdogs. It brings out the dog in this team. If we have good health this year I see us as a top 3 team in the east this year.

Re: The Celtics are real underdogs this year.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 05:04:16 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
While reading all the preseason projections I see that The Celtics are real underdogs this year. The Celtics have always overachieved as underdogs. It brings out the dog in this team. If we have good health this year I see us as a top 3 team in the east this year.

I agree!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:20:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I agree!

The Celtics are really being snubbed in every preseason report I read and every preseason game I watch.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:30:43 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I agree.  This team is going to outperform the supposed expectations.  The media analysts are biased to last year’s disappointment.  This team is so much better balanced and deep.  Tatum and Brown are both still improving, the young guys are getting better, we have better passing, and big men that fit together better.  I’d be surprise if we aren’t in the top four of the East and could challenge Milwaukee and the Nets.  This season is going to be fun.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 08:29:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I agree.  This team is going to outperform the supposed expectations.  The media analysts are biased to last year’s disappointment.  This team is so much better balanced and deep.  Tatum and Brown are both still improving, the young guys are getting better, we have better passing, and big men that fit together better.  I’d be surprise if we aren’t in the top four of the East and could challenge Milwaukee and the Nets.  This season is going to be fun.

The Celtics look like a team ready to make a jump this year.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 09:33:49 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

The Celtics look like a team ready to make a jump this year.

I agree or at least hope so.  Better passing and bigs will help.  A better bench will help.  Langford and Nesmith stepping up will help. 
Brown’s development too.

But really, it really depends on Tatum and how far he’s ready to lead this team.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 10:42:45 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’m excited. Much less Tatum dancing with the ball in isolation. Horford REALLY helps player movement. Just that we have the potential to not stand around ( especially Jaylen )like we’ve been doing under Brad is soooo refreshing as a viewer.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 10:44:24 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Haha, that’s a good one!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 12:22:52 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

And I love it  :police: I love it when everyone, including fans, have low expectations of our team and expect them to be no hopers and also rans. Those beginnings are where some of the most fun seasons develop from.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 01:37:38 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Good. Take on the underdog role. Let teams try to disrespect them and see them respond with blood and grit on their teeth. I don't like the Celtics being favorites. I think they actually perform better being underdogs.

Make this like a 2010 Celtics team, only this time winning it all

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
They are underdogs because they are not that talented. A six seed is their ceiling to me.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 01:12:41 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They are underdogs because they are not that talented. A six seed is their ceiling to me.
Seems like a pessimistic outlook, but you may be right.  My optimistic prediction is 4th seed.  Just don't see them as better than BKN, TOR or MIL.  They are right in the thick of it for the 3rd seed with MIA, IND, NYK, PHI and ATL.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 02:07:30 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

This is the key. The biggest reason that Boston is underestimated this year is that all the pundits and prognosticators don't take account of how badly the Celtics were injured and infected last year. Like many fans, they attribute last year's disappointing ending to talent, depth, coaching, etc.

They're always "fighting the last war", except that they don't often have a good grasp even of what lost (or won, as the case may be) the last one.

How different, really, is the team this year from the team that went to the ECF in the bubble season? Kemba was already hobbling and Gordo was MIA most of the playoffs that year.

Last season the team was snakebit from Covid and chronic injuries. There's a tendency around here to blame Brad for the lack of ball movement last year; but if you look at who was available to do playmaking I think it's clear that it was a personnel issue. Smart got Covid, Kemba became a part-time player who was a shadow of himself when he could play. On the other hand, Tatum and Brown both took BIG leaps forward with their playmaking:

Jaylen went from 9.7% Assists to 16.5%
Jayson went from 14.5% to 20.3%

People like to tell their stories about the bad old days and all of that. People like to dish out blame, but things are rarely so simple, are they?

Granted, the Eastern Conference teams are looking better year by year - despite the dysfunction in Brooklyn and Philadelphia, they're both still looking like they'll have a strong showing.

This whole business of prediction is a fool's errand, let's face it. Every championship requires a big dose of plain old good luck. The Bucks deserved their championship - no doubt about that - but they might not have won it if Brooklyn or the Lakers had not had the bad luck they had. As the old saying goes: That's why they play the games. Every year, multiple teams drop back and lose their opportunity because of injuries.

Atlanta is for real. Chicago is for real. Toronto is under the radar for most people, but they're going to surprise people, especially later in the year. Indiana got exactly the coach they needed; New York already had the coach and management they needed.

Underdogs? Yes, sure. But there's a dogfight coming.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:14:04 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021