Author Topic: Annual GM Survey  (Read 8213 times)

Re: Annual GM Survey
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 02:07:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Not a lot of respect.

This team needs to start earning it.

Truth

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 02:09:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Luka was an MVP candidate in his second and third seasons, and is only 22. Dallas just needs to do a better job of building around Luka, before the team is able to take that next step. The next best player for Dallas is Porzingas, who is extremely unreliable. Let’s also not forget, Dallas was able to draft Luka (3rd overall via trade) because they were 24-58, and a bad team.

I understand the argument for Giannis, especially since he is still only 26. However, unlike Dallas, the Bucks sold out last offseason by trading 5 first round picks to acquire Jrue Holiday, in hopes of winning a title (and showing a commitment to Giannis). In other words, the Bucks were built to win a title, with their trio of Giannis, Holiday, and Middleton. There were talks of the team firing the head coach if the team didn’t win the title during the Brooklyn series, as they were a huge disappointment based on expectations. Let’s also not forget, Milwaukee doesn’t even make it out of the second round last season, if Durant’s foot wasn’t a half inch past the 3 point line, which ended up being a game 7 tying basket, instead of the series ending basket.
Sold out?

Trading 5 future picks to win a title and possibly more than one isn't selling out, it's great front office management.

Also, if you believe it's selling out, where is the criticism of Brooklyn for trading a treasure trove of picks to acquire Harden. In your ideology, isn't that selling out too?

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I thought the most interesting part of this for the Celtics was that they are essentially tied for 3rd as the most promising young core.  I assume ATL got 15 votes, HOU 3, and BOS (and the others) 2 votes.  I actually don't think we are that far behind ATL.  Is Young ahead of Tatum?  Collins ahead of Brown?  Is Capela considered young?

Which team has the most promising young core?
1. Atlanta Hawks – 50%
2. Houston Rockets – 10%
3. Boston Celtics – 7%
Memphis Grizzlies – 7%
New Orleans Pelicans – 7%
Phoenix Suns – 7%
> Also receiving votes: Charlotte Hornets, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Minnesota Timberwolves

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Luka was an MVP candidate in his second and third seasons, and is only 22. Dallas just needs to do a better job of building around Luka, before the team is able to take that next step. The next best player for Dallas is Porzingas, who is extremely unreliable. Let’s also not forget, Dallas was able to draft Luka (3rd overall via trade) because they were 24-58, and a bad team.

I understand the argument for Giannis, especially since he is still only 26. However, unlike Dallas, the Bucks sold out last offseason by trading 5 first round picks to acquire Jrue Holiday, in hopes of winning a title (and showing a commitment to Giannis). In other words, the Bucks were built to win a title, with their trio of Giannis, Holiday, and Middleton. There were talks of the team firing the head coach if the team didn’t win the title during the Brooklyn series, as they were a huge disappointment based on expectations. Let’s also not forget, Milwaukee doesn’t even make it out of the second round last season, if Durant’s foot wasn’t a half inch past the 3 point line, which ended up being a game 7 tying basket, instead of the series ending basket.
Sold out?

Trading 5 future picks to win a title and possibly more than one isn't selling out, it's great front office management.

Also, if you believe it's selling out, where is the criticism of Brooklyn for trading a treasure trove of picks to acquire Harden. In your ideology, isn't that selling out too?
It was really only 3 picks, as there are 2 pick swaps, plus one of the picks wasn't a future pick as it was 24 in the current draft.  So 2 future picks and a pick swap, 24, along with Bledsoe and Hill for Holiday and Merrill (i.e. pick 60 who actually ended up playing in 30 games, starting 2 for the Bucks as a rookie).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sold out?

It was really only 3 picks, as there are 2 pick swaps, plus one of the picks wasn't a future pick as it was 24 in the current draft.  So 2 future picks and a pick swap, 24, along with Bledsoe and Hill for Holiday and Merrill (i.e. pick 60 who actually ended up playing in 30 games, starting 2 for the Bucks as a rookie).
Making the "sold out" comment even stranger and poorer of a take. If Brad could sell out by trading 3 future picks, 2 swaps and salary to Minny for Karl Anthony Towns, I will be more than happy he "sold out" and my guess is so will almost every one else on this board.

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 03:21:05 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I thought the most interesting part of this for the Celtics was that they are essentially tied for 3rd as the most promising young core.  I assume ATL got 15 votes, HOU 3, and BOS (and the others) 2 votes.  I actually don't think we are that far behind ATL.  Is Young ahead of Tatum?  Collins ahead of Brown?  Is Capela considered young?

1. Atlanta Hawks – 50%
2. Houston Rockets – 10%
3. Boston Celtics – 7%
Memphis Grizzlies – 7%
Phoenix Suns – 7%
> Also receiving votes: Charlotte Hornets, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Minnesota Timberwolves

It's GMs, and some of them might have a different opinion on where "young" starts and ends.  Jaylen turns 25 this month, and is entering his 6th year.  That might be young to some, not young to others.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
GM's overrated team most likely to finish behind Celtics?

Heat

Which rookie will be the best player in five years?

Nesmith (obviously)

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

1. Atlanta Hawks – 50%
2. Houston Rockets – 10%
3. Boston Celtics – 7%
Memphis Grizzlies – 7%
Phoenix Suns – 7%

It's GMs, and some of them might have a different opinion on where "young" starts and ends.  Jaylen turns 25 this month, and is entering his 6th year.  That might be young to some, not young to others.
Yeah.  I've always believed that it should stop after your rookie deal i.e. 4 years.  After that you are no longer young no matter what your age is.

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I know it's not a perfect thought experiment, but if you substitute Doncic for Giannis, do the Bucks win the title last year?

I don't think they do.  There's an age gap in Luka's favor, but there's a skill gap in Giannis'.  They're equal scorers, Giannis is more efficient, and Giannis is a better rebounder.  Yes, Luka is a better passer, but is the gap there even close to the gigantic defensive chasm between the two?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2021, 05:17:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I know it's not a perfect thought experiment, but if you substitute Doncic for Giannis, do the Bucks win the title last year?

I don't think they do.  There's an age gap in Luka's favor, but there's a skill gap in Giannis'.  They're equal scorers, Giannis is more efficient, and Giannis is a better rebounder.  Yes, Luka is a better passer, but is the gap there even close to the gigantic defensive chasm between the two?
How does Giannis fare on the Mavs team? They're a very poorly constructed roster. I don't think Giannis gets past the Clippers either last season or the one prior on the Mavs, as we've seen how Kawhi + another athletic wing defender can bother him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 05:51:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

How does Giannis fare on the Mavs team? They're a very poorly constructed roster. I don't think Giannis gets past the Clippers either last season or the one prior on the Mavs, as we've seen how Kawhi + another athletic wing defender can bother him.

It's hard to say, but I can't see how more efficient scoring coupled with much, much, much better defense would hurt.

Meanwhile, the Bucks don't win a title with Luka in place of Giannis.

It's a pretty easy analysis to me.  Giannis is great on both sides of the ball.  Luka is great on offense.  If he lifts his game to become an elite shooter -- significantly surpassing Giannis' efficiency -- then maybe there's an argument.  However, right now he's a much less efficient player.  Does his superior passing make up the gap?  I don't think so.  He averages three more assists, but one more turnover.  The value added over Giannis there just isn't that great, particularly because Luka has a history of freezing out teammates and not getting the most out of them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:57:29 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 06:28:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It's hard to say, but I can't see how more efficient scoring coupled with much, much, much better defense would hurt.

It's a pretty easy analysis to me.  Giannis is great on both sides of the ball.  Luka is great on offense.  If he lifts his game to become an elite shooter -- significantly surpassing Giannis' efficiency -- then maybe there's an argument.  However, right now he's a much less efficient player.  Does his superior passing make up the gap?  I don't think so.  He averages three more assists, but one more turnover.  The value added over Giannis there just isn't that great, particularly because Luka has a history of freezing out teammates and not getting the most out of them.
Yeah, don't get me wrong - I'd pick Giannis first, and I'd pick Luka second. However, if Luka can become a consistent 75% shooter from the stripe and 37% from deep (both of which I think will happen next season) then he's essentially an unstoppable force on offence with his already really solid 2PT shooting. He was also taking much more mid-range shots last season, which I think is crucial for playoff success as a wing-type (Jordan, Durant, Kobe, even LeBron in certain stages of his career, Middleton).

I think Milwaukee has done a much better job at surrounding Giannis with complementary talent than Dallas has with Luka. Middleton, Jrue and Lopez are immensely superior to Porzingis, Hardaway Jr. and Richardson/Finney-Smith.

I think the GMs got this one wrong, but at least it was close (43% to 40%). The more egregious ones, like LA being far and away the best team out West, bothered me more.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2021, 09:04:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah, don't get me wrong - I'd pick Giannis first, and I'd pick Luka second. However, if Luka can become a consistent 75% shooter from the stripe and 37% from deep (both of which I think will happen next season) then he's essentially an unstoppable force on offence with his already really solid 2PT shooting. He was also taking much more mid-range shots last season, which I think is crucial for playoff success as a wing-type (Jordan, Durant, Kobe, even LeBron in certain stages of his career, Middleton).

I think Milwaukee has done a much better job at surrounding Giannis with complementary talent than Dallas has with Luka. Middleton, Jrue and Lopez are immensely superior to Porzingis, Hardaway Jr. and Richardson/Finney-Smith.

I think the GMs got this one wrong, but at least it was close (43% to 40%). The more egregious ones, like LA being far and away the best team out West, bothered me more.
Porzingis is a 26 year old former all star that is still basically a 20/10 player.  The fact that he and Luka haven't fit very well I think is a pretty big indictment on Luka. 

Dallas isn't that much worse with Doncic not in the game either.  Last year per 100 possessions they were only 3 points better with Luka on the floor in a very large part because he is such a poor defender and the offense in many ways functions better without him.  He had the highest usage in the league last year.  Luka also seems to have an attitude problem and he has not shown any improvement defensively.  I think there is a real chance he turns into a better version of Kyrie Irving i.e. an unbelievable offensive player that is a terrible defender and a problem in the locker room.  His offensive talent is undeniable though, which is why he should be 2 behind Giannis on that list and well ahead of whomever you put at 3. 

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2021, 11:53:36 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
The Lakers being voted #1 in the West is hilarious

Yeah, that team is so so old.  Already Trevor Ariza is out for months with ankle surgery.  It’s going to be a snowball effect as they won’t be able to give guys the rest they need, leading to ever more injuries.

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2021, 02:41:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Porzingis is a 26 year old former all star that is still basically a 20/10 player.  The fact that he and Luka haven't fit very well I think is a pretty big indictment on Luka. 

Dallas isn't that much worse with Doncic not in the game either.  Last year per 100 possessions they were only 3 points better with Luka on the floor in a very large part because he is such a poor defender and the offense in many ways functions better without him.  He had the highest usage in the league last year.  Luka also seems to have an attitude problem and he has not shown any improvement defensively.  I think there is a real chance he turns into a better version of Kyrie Irving i.e. an unbelievable offensive player that is a terrible defender and a problem in the locker room.  His offensive talent is undeniable though, which is why he should be 2 behind Giannis on that list and well ahead of whomever you put at 3.
Porzingis is doodoo