Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 563960 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 12:44:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kevin Porter Jr played 29 mins and had 25 pts, 5ast, 4reb. Shot 9-16 from the field and 5-9 from 3pt. Best player on either team in tonight’s game.

So glad the C’s held on to Tacko, Waters, Edwards, And Green instead of giving him a shot. Well played.

This is preseason. ;)
And he was considered a massive head case and problem child before Houston took a shot with him. Being the absolute worst team in the league while trying to lose for a better draft pick will allow you to take shots with possible locker room cancers. Lots of Monday morning QBing with this take.

It was a no risk/high reward scenario. If he acts up, you cut him. He was being  immature, which many do when they are 20 years old and a change of scenery was apparently what Porter Jr needed.
True, but it was always going to have to be with a really bad team that didn't care about winning and had playing time to give him. Porter wasn't going to get playing time over Kemba, Smart and Pritchard, so probably would have continued to be an immature brat of a player sulking on the bench because he wasn't playing.

He landed in the best spot he could have...with a team wanting to lose that was willing to give him minutes and control of the ball so he could channel his inner Iverson and chuck like crazy.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 03:02:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kevin Porter Jr played 29 mins and had 25 pts, 5ast, 4reb. Shot 9-16 from the field and 5-9 from 3pt. Best player on either team in tonight’s game.

So glad the C’s held on to Tacko, Waters, Edwards, And Green instead of giving him a shot. Well played.
That's what this team really needed. One of the worst teammates in the NBA
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 09:46:41 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

This is preseason. ;)
And he was considered a massive head case and problem child before Houston took a shot with him. Being the absolute worst team in the league while trying to lose for a better draft pick will allow you to take shots with possible locker room cancers. Lots of Monday morning QBing with this take.

It was a no risk/high reward scenario. If he acts up, you cut him. He was being  immature, which many do when they are 20 years old and a change of scenery was apparently what Porter Jr needed.
True, but it was always going to have to be with a really bad team that didn't care about winning and had playing time to give him. Porter wasn't going to get playing time over Kemba, Smart and Pritchard, so probably would have continued to be an immature brat of a player sulking on the bench because he wasn't playing.

He landed in the best spot he could have...with a team wanting to lose that was willing to give him minutes and control of the ball so he could channel his inner Iverson and chuck like crazy.

We will never know. Just feel like he could have gotten playing time over guys like Waters(who started several games), Edwards, and Green. He would probably have been a better option that Romeo and Nesmith for much of the time. Plus, you have the G-league for developing players. Oh, well. Good move by Houston’s GM.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2021, 09:51:37 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Seriously.  I will never understand the infatuation of bringing in a guy with known maturity issues to a team that was clearly already trying to overcome its own internal issues.

Also, I'm saying it here -- Kevin Porter Jr. will never be a regular starter for a playoff team in his career (not ruling out that he gets some spot starts due to injury for a playoff team, because most guys who last more than a couple of years eventually get an occasional start on a team that makes the playoffs.)

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2021, 10:30:55 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This is preseason. ;)
I still think he was worth the risk, just as I did when he was still on the Cavs and then a free agent see the Kevin Porter, Jr. thread https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=103707.0.  Almost no risk, but high reward type situation.  I think if Stevens was running things, he might have taken the flyer as he seems far less risk averse than Ainge was at the end of his time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 11:18:44 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Guess his coach would disagree with you.

From last season:

“KP was good,” head coach Stephen Silas said after practice. “He played point; he pushed the ball up the floor in our scrimmage. He makes plays for others. He’s a willing learner. Great kid. Just enjoyable to be around. To have that fresh face in the group is exciting for me.”

“It’s a developmental thing,” Silas said of Porter’s outlook with the Rockets. “The game isn’t going to be as easy as it came for him in the G League. But I think he is prepared, over time, to excel. He has a lot of tools that we will explore and use. He’s going to be good for us.”
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Seriously.  I will never understand the infatuation of bringing in a guy with known maturity issues to a team that was clearly already trying to overcome its own internal issues.

Also, I'm saying it here -- Kevin Porter Jr. will never be a regular starter for a playoff team in his career (not ruling out that he gets some spot starts due to injury for a playoff team, because most guys who last more than a couple of years eventually get an occasional start on a team that makes the playoffs.)

He was 20 years old and immature. Guess you’re right he has no talent at all. Should play overseas or find another career.

HOUSTON -- Kevin Porter Jr. scored a career-high 50 points to go along with 11 assists Thursday night, becoming the youngest player ever to log a 50-point double-double with assists.

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 12:43:11 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

He was 20 years old and immature. Guess you’re right he has no talent at all. Should play overseas or find another career.

HOUSTON -- Kevin Porter Jr. scored a career-high 50 points to go along with 11 assists Thursday night, becoming the youngest player ever to log a 50-point double-double with assists.

No one said that he wasn't talented?

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2021, 03:51:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
People realize porter was accused of punching a woman in the head and in a separate incident crashed with a loaded gun and weed in the car. We want this guy cause he has had some high scoring games?

Also he was suspended while in college (don’t believe we ever found out what he did) and he was ultimately cut by cavs after he had a blow up when his locker was moved.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:02:49 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

From last season:

“KP was good,” head coach Stephen Silas said after practice. “He played point; he pushed the ball up the floor in our scrimmage. He makes plays for others. He’s a willing learner. Great kid. Just enjoyable to be around. To have that fresh face in the group is exciting for me.”

“It’s a developmental thing,” Silas said of Porter’s outlook with the Rockets. “The game isn’t going to be as easy as it came for him in the G League. But I think he is prepared, over time, to excel. He has a lot of tools that we will explore and use. He’s going to be good for us.”

One coach out of his last three that hasn't kicked him off the team. Forgive me if I don't celebrate that.

He has Brandon Jennings and OJ Mayo written all over him to me.

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 06:51:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

From last season:

One coach out of his last three that hasn't kicked him off the team. Forgive me if I don't celebrate that.

Do you believe that the incidents that occurred when he was 19 or 20 years old define him? I like to think that people can learn from their mistakes and grow as they age, but maybe that’s just me.

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 07:00:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

From last season:

Do you believe that the incidents that occurred when he was 19 or 20 years old define him? I like to think that people can learn from their mistakes and grow as they age, but maybe that’s just me.
If there was any evidence of him actually growing, then sure. Token words from his coach are meaningless. He has to have at least 12 months of no incidents for me to have any faith in him turning it around.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2021, 07:42:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

From last season:

Depends what the incidents are. Getting too drunk? Trying a drug? Maybe even getting in a bar fight? I wouldn’t really cast any judgement on anyone doing that at 20 as I did that when I was “immature” myself. Getting in a fight with women? Driving around with a loaded gun? Whatever he did to get a lengthy suspension at usc (usc is not exactly Princeton with their code of conduct). Not so sure those are as easy to dismiss.

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
Luka is going to make Moses Brown look good.

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2021, 08:44:11 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Luka is going to make Moses Brown look good.

Luka looks like he’s in better shape than last year. Lost some weight it seems.