Author Topic: Chris Paul contract already affecting Suns? (Ayton not signed)  (Read 5514 times)

Chris Paul contract already affecting Suns? (Ayton not signed)
« on: October 05, 2021, 02:17:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Apparently the Suns don't want to give Ayton a max contract extension, which is why Ayton hasn't signed an extension.  While no one will say it, I do wonder if the historically cheap owner of the Suns is hesitating because Booker is on a max and they just gave Chris Paul a huge contract such that maybe he doesn't want 3 max contracts for a team that is a fringe contender with one old guy in that group.  Again total speculation on my part, but the Suns aren't exactly known as big spenders and Paul does have a large contract for a guy his age, injury history, and production level.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 02:34:36 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Chris Paul contract already affecting Suns? (Ayton not signed)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Ayton for Rob Williams and Al Horford should get the job done.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 02:39:25 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't know if that is the motivation, but if it is it seems like a mistake. Why give Chris Paul the big money if he's the reason you worry about investing in the rest of your team?

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
While Ayton has shown improvement, and was an important piece to the Suns' post season success last season, I don't see him as a max type player either.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 03:08:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I’m not sure Ayton is worth a max extension.  He could be, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he didn’t get a max offer in free agency next summer (which the Suns can match).  That said, I do think the Suns are going to have some problems next summer, and I’ve had my eye on Mikal Bridges for a sign-and-trade since we got the Fournier TPE for this very reason.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I’m not sure Ayton is worth a max extension.  He could be, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he didn’t get a max offer in free agency next summer (which the Suns can match).  That said, I do think the Suns are going to have some problems next summer, and I’ve had my eye on Mikal Bridges for a sign-and-trade since we got the Fournier TPE for this very reason.

There seems to always be a team that's willing to overpay.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 04:44:15 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

That’s true, but here’s the list of teams with max cap space next summer.

Orlando
San Antonio
Memphis (only if they let Jaren Jackson walk)

That’s it.  You’re right, it’s possible Orlando overpays, but the max contract market is pretty small next summer.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 04:49:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Orlando
San Antonio

That’s it.  You’re right, it’s possible Orlando overpays, but the max contract market is pretty small next summer.

Also could be a sign and trade or a team cuts payroll with trades or a contract stretch like Charlotte did to get Hayward.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 04:55:41 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Orlando
San Antonio

Also could be a sign and trade or a team cuts payroll with trades or a contract stretch like Charlotte did to get Hayward.

Pretty unlikely for next summer, at least the create cap room aspect.  Most teams are already above the cap,  so they’d have to trade a lot, and a couple that aren’t already have a lot of dead money (Detroit and OKC) that they can’t trade away.

Sign-and-trades are always possible, of course, but Phoenix will be a hard bargainer because he’s restricted and they’d have to take a lot of salary back.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 05:09:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Orlando
San Antonio

Memphis letting Jaren Jackson walk and making a max offer at Ayton would be pretty amazing for them (assuming they end up with Ayton). Would be a tough team to deal with
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Orlando
San Antonio

Memphis letting Jaren Jackson walk and making a max offer at Ayton would be pretty amazing for them (assuming they end up with Ayton). Would be a tough team to deal with

But there's no way they can let Jackson walk unless they're certain Phoenix won't match Ayton, because otherwise they might lose Jackson and end up with no one.

If Jackson went for $20 million next year (which feels low by a few million), an Ayton-Jackson double S&T would be interesting.

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 05:58:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Orlando
San Antonio

But there's no way they can let Jackson walk unless they're certain Phoenix won't match Ayton, because otherwise they might lose Jackson and end up with no one.

If Jackson went for $20 million next year (which feels low by a few million), an Ayton-Jackson double S&T would be interesting.
If Jalen Smith can actually show something this season that could be a really interesting path for both teams to go down.

However, having Chris Paul until 2025 for ~$30m a season (when he'll be nearly 40) is going to be difficult for them
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 06:10:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Prior to the playoffs, a number of Suns fans were arguing about who they would rather see the team invest in long term - Ayton or Mikal Bridges.

Interestingly a number of them preferred Bridges (more dependable night to night) but Ayton's strong showing in the playoffs I am sure changed some minds.

It does not look like they can keep both & CP3 and Booker.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 06:43:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Over his time in Phoenix, in games I have seen Ayton play, I was never overly impressed by him. About the only time I liked what he brought to the game was in the Finals. But the NBA is riddled with guys throughout their history that were good, not great, who had a great playoffs or playoff series only to go back to being good not great.

So, for that reason, I can understand the Suns reluctance to give Ayton that max extension. No need to rush. Let him start the year thinking he needs to prove something and if his game takes a leap forward, extend him for the max. If not, a less than max offer with incentives isn't such a bad thing for Ayton or the Suns.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 06:55:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
They had to sign Paul after making the finals but the odds of him playing healthy for most of that contract is a long shot.