Author Topic: Magic (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/21  (Read 24144 times)

Re: Magic (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/21
« Reply #315 on: October 05, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Even if I'm satisfied with the energy and rotation, I'm still bummed we haven't saw what Jabari and Fernando can bring to the table. I'd love to see them having actual minutes while the preseason is still going.
You really shouldn’t worry yourself about those guys. They are end of bench/trade fodder. Jabari might not even make the team and it is because he isn’t very good and has never really been good in his career.

« Reply #316 on: October 05, 2021, 08:03:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
NICE WIN>

One of the best preseason games I've ever seen.

I glade you said this ,  I thought maybe it was just me ,  I agree , it’s been a long time since I ve seen such a start to finish hard played with good defensive intensity in a pre season game.   It was well coached both sides , well refereed ,  very entertaining with just old school play. 

The whole game improves  in front of a packed house live crowd .  I hated covid basketball.

« Reply #317 on: October 05, 2021, 08:12:19 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
NICE WIN>

One of the best preseason games I've ever seen.

I glade you said this ,  I thought maybe it was just me ,  I agree , it’s been a long time since I ve seen such a start to finish hard played with good defensive intensity in a pre season game.   It was well coached both sides , well refereed ,  very entertaining with just old school play. 

The whole game improves  in front of a packed house live crowd .  I hated covid basketball.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Our team is super deep too. Finally a season where CBS can package 3 for 1 and upgrade.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #318 on: October 05, 2021, 08:35:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Pritchard best PG box, and gaming winning ast. JS

Never nervous when Pritchard has the ball at the end of a game.
Even when he was launching that 30 foot 3 with a minute to go I was pretty comfortable.

Pritchard's inability to penetrate or play pick and roll is really worrisome.
Yup, and he was at least partly responsible for Cole Anthony getting hot.  I like Pritchard but he has holes in his game.  So tired of short point guards....

« Reply #319 on: October 05, 2021, 09:09:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Even if I'm satisfied with the energy and rotation, I'm still bummed we haven't saw what Jabari and Fernando can bring to the table. I'd love to see them having actual minutes while the preseason is still going.
You really shouldn’t worry yourself about those guys. They are end of bench/trade fodder. Jabari might not even make the team and it is because he isn’t very good and has never really been good in his career.

I thought that part of the rotation was interesting.  Starting Hernangomez at PF was a surprise as was Parker not playing at all.  In total, GWill and JHern combined for 27 minutes of PF play.  I didn't watch the whole game but for the part that I did, I didn't see any other combinations of 2-bigs so I guess the other 21 minutes were some combination of 1-big, extra wing line ups.

I thought JHern looked good.  Based on that, I would predict that he can give us about what Theis did, which is OK.  Theis played right around 24 minutes the last couple of years.  JHern may not be quite that much, maybe more like 18 min if he continues to improve some (which you expect from a 26 year old on a new team).

Not sure if this was a bad omen for Parker or just a preseason abnormality, trying to give some other players minutes.  Would be nice to see Fernando also but he is probably destined for the deep bench.  Parker should have a chance to contribute in the regular rotation but he may also get cut due to his non-guaranteed contract.  Isn't all he needs to do is beat out Grant Williams on the depth chart?  If he can't do that, he will likely be cut.

« Reply #320 on: October 05, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pritchard best PG box, and gaming winning ast. JS

Never nervous when Pritchard has the ball at the end of a game.
Even when he was launching that 30 foot 3 with a minute to go I was pretty comfortable.

Pritchard's inability to penetrate or play pick and roll is really worrisome.
Looked like he was trying to be an outlet not a creator. Which we need more of. It's what was critiqued by the coach. We can't have everyone driving. We need the 3pt shooters to shoot when open.

« Reply #321 on: October 05, 2021, 10:10:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
My notes from last night: Thought our bench was clearly better. than last season's.  But worry that we lack  a 3rd scorer.  Really could have used Fournier last night.  We were basically outplayed by an Orlando Magic team projected to be one of the league's worst teams missing several of their best players.  Offensively, after a few token ball movement sets we got sticky with the ball.  We have two guys who can create their own decent shot, and they are extremely good at that.  After that, it drops off a cliff.

Individually:

Jaylen was Jaylen. Meaning he was excellent.  The best player on the floor by far last night.  Only criticism is that those moments where he dazzled his ball handling skills, which are impressive, really don't lead to much.  And if you are hoping that JB is going to become a "playmaker" with 4-5 assists per game, just don't think that is in his DNA. He seems super quick and confident.  Dude is ready for the season to start yesterday.

Jayson had his typical slow start, and then, using his new found muscle, was able to play bully ball, pretty effectively I felt.  I wonder if his added muscle slowed him down a little, though.  He never had elite quickness like JB, relying on his great footwork to  create space, so maybe this isn't going to be an issue.

Smart seemed to struggle to find his identity.   You could feel him consciously saying to himself throughout the game "I am the point guard now, I am not going to take this shot". Ironically, it seemed to neuter his effectiveness.  Made him less threatening out there.

Rob looked lost out there, like a man without a role.  With Jayson attacking the paint more, and Hernangomez hitting the boards, there wasn't any space inside for Rob to attack vertically.  Also I don't recall more than several feeble attempts of using him in pick and role.  Part of this may also be attributed to the length of Mo Bamba, who broke up at least one alley oop.  Rob also seemed less explosive, which also may be attributed to his added muscle and weight.   Rob is a career 70% FG shooter, but take away his vertical game and you end up with nights like last night, where he is a feeble short mid range shooter.  Bottom line:  Magic centers outplayed our centers last night, which was disappointing. Rob is capable of averaging a double double. 

Hernangomez looked decent out there, and must be playing well in camp to garner this starting spot.  I like how he  attacked the boards and thought he showed good commitment to defending.   I'd like to see more sets for him to take 3 point shots to open space, especially when Rob is on the floor.  No complaints with this guy, though.  I've had my eye on him last season during the trade deadline, and apparently so did the Celtics.   Just need to figure out how best to utilize his skill set.  Could actually see him getting some minutes as a stretch 5, he has good height and length and pretty quick feet.

Horford looked okay.  I thought he was too deferential at times. I'd like to see more of play making Al Horford out there.  His 3 point shot wasn't falling, but we all know he is decent from there.  Would not be surprised to see Ime start Al next game and have Rob come off the bench.   

Schroeder had good energy, especially on defense.  He looked very tentative taking 3 point shots. I realize he is below average from the arc, but last night was a brutal reminder.  Thought he showed some decent playmaking ability, actually seemed more comfortable than Smart in that respect. 

J Rich was excellent on defense in the first half, but offensively had zero confidence and did poorly.  I hope he turns that around eventually.  The other bench guys (see below) will be breathing down his neck for playing time.

Pritchard looked good, and along with Brown (and maybe Nesmith) seemed like the most confident volume 3 point shooter on the Celtics (the Magic were really hot from 3 last night (40.5%).   Definitely made a case for more minutes. I thought he didn't hurt us on defense.

Nesmith continued where he left off last season (and summer league), constantly moving, confident 3 point shooting.  Really was most responsible for us winning the game last night with his energy and marksmanship.  I've been concerned about his defense in summer league, but must say he looked solid on that end as well last night.  Making a case to become a starter for this team at some point, and at least, for now, one of the first guys to come off the bench.  Well done.

Romeo I thought played okay. Of course hitting the game winning 3 pointer was awesome for him (flash back to ATL summer league game).  I actually continue to be optimistic that he can add some versatility to this team offensively, as he looked decent taking it to the cup a couple of times,  and getting fouled.  His shot looks decent.  I thought his defense, normally a strength, was a bit off last night; he seemed slow in picking up guys in rotation.

G Will looked much improved, but for that feeble hook shot.  He looked a lot quicker, and capable of defending multiple positions. Taking off the weight helps his game.

Jabari Parker's absence was a puzzle to me, but given the incredible depth, there were no real minutes left. Expect him to get a fair amount of burn next game.

Kanter was Kanter, both good and bad.  Clean up the boards on offense, hold your breath on a switch to a guard on defense.  Think he will be saved for special situations (defending Embiid) this season.

Conclusion:  I expect a lot of tinkering before Ime settles on a starting lineup.  I also think Brad realizes his work is not done, and can see him working hard to swing a trade to bring in a quality point guard, which we continue to lack. 

« Reply #322 on: October 05, 2021, 11:53:21 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Can I rain on the parade? I thought the offense didn't look much different, which was disappointing. I liked that we saw a lot of actions to get Jayson Tatum in the high post. I liked how Brown looked. Honestly, most everything else was meh to me. I didn't think the ball movement was all that good. I didn't think the defensive communication was good.

First game of the preseason. I give them a pass for this, but I didn't see much different.

« Reply #323 on: October 05, 2021, 12:02:45 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Robert

In a playoff series, here's a rotation idea based on last year...If Romeo is going to start hitting threes? Make him 6th man.

Richardson
Schroder
Pritchard
Romeo
Nesmith
Grant
Juancho