Author Topic: Taking Advantage of GSW Win Now Urgency  (Read 2213 times)

Taking Advantage of GSW Win Now Urgency
« on: September 28, 2021, 05:59:31 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Celtics: Wiseman

Warriors: Rob Williams III, Schroder, 21 Celtics 1st round pick

If the Warriors core and Wiseman still aren’t a cohesive unit during the first few rounds of this season, they may need an urgent upgrade if they want to maximise Curry’s career.

IMO Williams III doesn’t have the same potential as Wiseman, he is much further along then the Warriors young centre.

Something that will be attractive to the Warriors front office is that Williams III is locked down to a very reasonable long term deal, where as Wiseman is a former second overall pick and his salary will continue to climb.

Having Schroder as Curry’s backup gives the Warriors real contender level depth and could be the addition that makes a Celtics offer too tempting to decline.

Wiseman has real star talent but doesn’t suit Warriors playing style, for Boston to have someone like Horford to mentor Wiseman is invaluable and could be the key to unlocking his true potential.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Taking Advantage of GSW Win Now Urgency
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 06:08:34 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I think Rob is better than Wiseman at this point and while Wiseman is an interesting prospect this trade is a big step back for The Celtics.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:28:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Huge overpay. I'm a big Wiseman fan, and think he could end up like DeAndre Jordan but with some shooting, however Timelord is currently the better player, locked up on a pretty cheap deal, and both have injury concerns. Schroder and a FRP make it quite uneven
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 08:41:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Wiseman is the best player in that trade, but it can't be made for several months and seems like a strange deal overall.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I think Rob is better than Wiseman at this point and while Wiseman is an interesting prospect this trade is a big step back for The Celtics.

I agree with this.  I also note that the trade doesn’t work for salary cap purposes.  (once it is even legal in January). The Warriors would need to send out another $3ish million in salary.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 12:53:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I agree with this.  I also note that the trade doesn’t work for salary cap purposes.  (once it is even legal in January). The Warriors would need to send out another $3ish million in salary.

When Timelord is injured in January this will seem like a pretty good idea.   

It's been pointed out that the trade doesn't work anyway, but the concept isn't terrible. If Rob plays well and without injury to start the year he could be a valuable present-day commodity in exchange for someone seen as having a high ceiling down the road.  As much as I love watching Timelord play, I like even less watching him in street clothes.  He remains an injury waiting to happen until he proves otherwise.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

Sorry, before posting I tested the trade with ESPN & Fanspo trade machines, with both accepting the trade (with timelord’s new contract).

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 01:06:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

When Timelord is injured in January this will seem like a pretty good idea.   

It's been pointed out that the trade doesn't work anyway, but the concept isn't terrible. If Rob plays well and without injury to start the year he could be a valuable present-day commodity in exchange for someone seen as having a high ceiling down the road.  As much as I love watching Timelord play, I like even less watching him in street clothes.  He remains an injury waiting to happen until he proves otherwise.

Rob played 52 games last season, Wiseman played 39. 

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 01:15:40 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

Wiseman had no real preseason due to COVID and as a result was underdone, I believe he had a slight muscle tear that required surgery.

Williams III has ‘popliteal artery entrapment syndrome’ which is a muscular deformity.

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 01:48:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Wiseman had no real preseason due to COVID and as a result was underdone, I believe he had a slight muscle tear that required surgery.

Williams III has ‘popliteal artery entrapment syndrome’ which is a muscular deformity.

LOL he is so deformed the team after reviewing his full medicals with their medical staff (which you are unqualified to opine on) decided to extend him for 4 more years at $12mm plus per year.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 02:33:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Doesn't Timelord's contract have a poison pill provision and isn't it not tradeable, if you can getting proper matching because of the PPP, until the end of January?

Seems extremely unlikely he is moved, if for nothing else but salary matching purposes. Those PPPs are tough to overcome sometimes. Also, I think the team really likes Timelord.