Poll

Is this a make or break season for Marcus Smart?

Yes
4 (16%)
No
19 (76%)
Perhaps (elaborate below)
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Smart: Make or Break Season?  (Read 4417 times)

Smart: Make or Break Season?
« on: September 25, 2021, 01:00:18 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The 2021-22 season will be make or break for Marcus Smart as a Boston Celtic.

It looks to me that Ime Udoka is a Smart supporter and will run some of the offence through him (within a team first concept). I can remember Smart saying in an interview that he believed he was a starting caliber point guard in the NBA, so now is his chance to prove it.

Each season there was some reasonable excuse for his lacking offence, injuries, being shopped by Ainge, out of position…there can be no excuses this year, it’s all or nothing for Smart.

Do you agree or disagree?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 01:09:54 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Smart: Make or Break Season?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 01:37:12 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He got paid. Why is it make or break for him?

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 01:50:50 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
He got paid. Why is it make or break for him?

He got paid because Stevens wanted to protect their asset.

IMO if he fails in his preferred point guard role, he will have Schroder waiting in the wings to take his spot and I could see him being traded in a package bringing back a star player or for pieces that will add depth and plug holes where the roster is lacking.

Other then the train-wreck of the previous season, Smart hasn’t started as primary guard since his rookie year. Thomas, Rozier, Irving and Walker have all taken preference, this season it’s all on Smart.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 01:54:23 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
If Stevens paid all that money just to "protect his asset" then he's not fit to be a GM. It's obvious that Smart is beloved by the players, coach and GM and believe that he can be a starting Point Guard. He does show some flashes of being a solid guard especially in the playoffs.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 12:31:06 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
If Stevens paid all that money just to "protect his asset" then he's not fit to be a GM. It's obvious that Smart is beloved by the players, coach and GM and believe that he can be a starting Point Guard. He does show some flashes of being a solid guard especially in the playoffs.

Smart's new contract is worth his production on the court. Stevens did well. The point is if Smart's game is what the Cs need going forward. Being traded wouldn't mean Smart is bad, but that he is not fit for the future of the team.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I really don't think what he does this season matters in a "make or break" sense. Despite all the injuries, despite all the bad shooting, the bad shot selection, all the head-scratching, head-shaking moments, he's got about as much job security as any nonsuperstar player could have. (To be fair, he makes a lot of good plays, but he makes a lot of boneheaded ones too.)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
ESPN just ranked Smart as the 49th best player in the sport.  I can't imagine this season does much of anything for Smart's perception long term.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 08:20:23 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
His extension proves he’s “made” it. Smart’s a proven vet at this point in his career and there’s no “or nothing” in his future

However, expecting him to take a leap is foolish. It would take an external force (such as a rules change allowing players to play more physical D) that would enable him to take a leap

- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 08:49:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
His extension proves he’s “made” it. Smart’s a proven vet at this point in his career and there’s no “or nothing” in his future

However, expecting him to take a leap is foolish. It would take an external force (such as a rules change allowing players to play more physical D) that would enable him to take a leap

Yeah, Smart is about the most ‘he is what he is’ player in the league. It would be a real surprise if he drastically improves or declines over the course of his next contract. He was paid what he was deserved and will at least maintain decent value unless he suffers a career ending type injury.

How he performs as the lead PG is somewhat meaningless to me, but I think we all know he will at least be satisfactory in that role.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 09:03:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
ESPN just ranked Smart as the 49th best player in the sport.  I can't imagine this season does much of anything for Smart's perception long term.
Yeah. Udoka called him a pillar. Stevens gave him as much money as he could in an extension. He seems pretty secure in his role on this team. I don't get this thread.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 09:56:07 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Wow, definitely in the minority on this one lol...perhaps I need to explain my point better.

I am not saying he has to make a huge jump or even that he is overrated or overpaid, I am saying this is going to be his first real shot at being the Celtics main guard, it's obvious that Stevens and Udoka are fans of his otherwise why would they give him this chance in the first place?

I am saying that if he fails to properly operate as the main point guard this could be the last season for Smart as a Celtic.

Firstly how many guys that get put back on the bench after starting are content? Secondly he has already demonstrated he isn't suited to playing as a two guard without the ball in his hands, so if he fails to produce as a point guard, Stevens more then likely will move him. They may love him, but does that mean he won't be traded?

If Smart hypothetically excels in his new role and it was all a matter of fit with him on offence, Smart may become close to untouchable along with Brown & Tatum.

Make or Break...this is the point I was trying to convey.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 10:06:47 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Wow, definitely in the minority on this one lol...perhaps I need to explain my point better.

I am not saying he has to make a huge jump or even that he is overrated or overpaid, I am saying this is going to be his first real shot at being the Celtics main guard, it's obvious that Stevens and Udoka are fans of his otherwise why would they give him this chance in the first place?

I am saying that if he fails to properly operate as the main point guard this could be the last season for Smart as a Celtic.

Firstly how many guys that get put back on the bench after starting are content? Secondly he has already demonstrated he isn't suited to playing as a two guard without the ball in his hands, so if he fails to produce as a point guard, Stevens more then likely will move him. They may love him, but does that mean he won't be traded?

If Smart hypothetically excels in his new role and it was all a matter of fit with him on offence, Smart may become close to untouchable along with Brown & Tatum.

Sometimes you just have to take the loss. You got creamed on this one.  Don’t double down. Smart got paid, he is not facing a make or break. lol.

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 12:24:07 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Would like to see more variety in his shot selection. He can post up smaller players rather easily. Wish I'd see more of that.

Can he hide behind a screen for a catch and shoot at 10-12 feet and not just seek out 3 pointers so often.

I'm thinking he could probably be more multidimensional on offense if they set up plays for him. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part?

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 12:55:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sometimes you just have to take the loss. You got creamed on this one.  Don’t double down. Smart got paid, he is not facing a make or break. lol.
Gotta agree. Smart can have a poor year and is going exactly nowhere. And he won't have a bad year. He'll just have a Marcus Smart year, which is a lot like every year he has ever played.

He'll play great to elite defense. He will be that defensive QB. He'll shoot free throws very good and everything terribly. He'll give you 5-6 assists and won't turn it over a lot.
He will miss a chunk of games. He will lose his cool a few times affecting the team negatively. He will be a good leader.

That's Smart. Things aren't going to change.He is game pretty static. So there will be no make or break year. He is here long term and that isn't going to be changing anytime soon.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 08:31:03 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell