Author Topic: 2nd round player comps  (Read 7888 times)

Re: 2nd round player comps
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 06:19:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As some one who has seen a bunch of UVA games and Jay Huff in person.  He is not an NBA rotation player. He can shoot but he will get played off the floor in defense. He may stick on the end of a bench as a shooting 5 but he will get a lot of DNPs.

As a second round pick I would say a team drafting Huff would be doing so with the hope of developing him into a backup center.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 08:02:47 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
TP to CFAN38 for this breakdown. Digging around looking for diamonds in the second round rough!

Some mocks have the Celtics close to Max Abmas a 5'11" PG at #45, but then I realized that Danny wasn't here anymore...phew!...that was a close one.

How about Filip Petrusev? He is 6'11" 225 and shoots 46% from three!!?? He's around pick #39 so we should be able to trade Tatum to move up 5 slots and get him...

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 11:44:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I want Herb Jones after seeing the profiles lol.
He's also tough as a cats head. https://247sports.com/Article/One-handed-free-throws-Alabama-basketball-Herbert-Jones-video-143862377/

I'm pushing hard for him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 06:27:06 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I want Herb Jones after seeing the profiles lol.
He's also tough as a cats head. https://247sports.com/Article/One-handed-free-throws-Alabama-basketball-Herbert-Jones-video-143862377/

I'm pushing hard for him.

TP

Great find, this kind of toughness would be a great addition to this team
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 08:40:26 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I found this interesting, Listening to Chad Fords Pod he and Jeremy Woo from SI where discussing the combine. They both came away with the feeling that based on what they have heard and his showing in the 5v5 that Greg Brown will be a second round pick.

I have always figured given his size and projection as a 3pt shooter he would be a lock to go in the 1st. Brown being available in the 30s could give the Cs a chance at trading up for him and developing him as a potentially really nice fit next to the Jays. His measurements and athletic testing was nearly identical to Moe Harkless and with some time in the G-League and development he could be a steal.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 10:40:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I found this interesting, Listening to Chad Fords Pod he and Jeremy Woo from SI where discussing the combine. They both came away with the feeling that based on what they have heard and his showing in the 5v5 that Greg Brown will be a second round pick.

I have always figured given his size and projection as a 3pt shooter he would be a lock to go in the 1st. Brown being available in the 30s could give the Cs a chance at trading up for him and developing him as a potentially really nice fit next to the Jays. His measurements and athletic testing was nearly identical to Moe Harkless and with some time in the G-League and development he could be a steal.
If I recall correctly he was a top-10 high school prospect. Really reminds me of Jerami Grant. More athletic but less length.

Harkless as a low-end result for him would be solid as a 2nd rounder. Fits Ainge's drafting modus operandi, but not sure if Brad feels the same

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 11:02:41 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Brown is the type of player who believed he was NBA ready before even heading to college, but despite his underwhelming freshman season, he decided to continue on that path.  I wouldn’t hold it against anyone who wants to pursue his dream, but I also don’t think he’s at all ready to be a pro.  He’s the type of player you scout now to take a flyer on him in 2-3 years after his initial deal ends/he bounces around the G-League.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 11:33:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Brown is the type of player who believed he was NBA ready before even heading to college, but despite his underwhelming freshman season, he decided to continue on that path.  I wouldn’t hold it against anyone who wants to pursue his dream, but I also don’t think he’s at all ready to be a pro.  He’s the type of player you scout now to take a flyer on him in 2-3 years after his initial deal ends/he bounces around the G-League.
If that means getting the next Chris Boucher I'm alright with this

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 11:44:53 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

This may very well be the case. The ideal situation is Brown falls all the way to #45 and PBS can sell him and his agent on signing a 2-way. I doubt this happens but would still love to see the Celtics take a shot on Brown with a minor trade up. His archetype is just so valuable in today's game
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 02:38:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Power forward targets with 45th pick:

Roko Prkacin (ESPN mocked at 37;may need to trade up to snag; great feel)
Isaiah Todd (great physical profile)
Greg Brown (stock has dropped, not sure why)
Isaiah Livers (not a fan; posting for a friend)
Kessler Edwards (ESPN has us taking him at 45 in their latest Mock; described as SF/PF)

Any thoughts on these guys? I'm still a big Roko fan, just don't think he'll be around when we pick at 45.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 02:43:04 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I say it be a oversea guy that they will keep over there
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2021, 03:51:00 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Quentin Grimes? Jr. age: 21, 6-5 H, 6-8 WS.  Can play both guard positions. Supposedly killed it at the combine both with play and interviews. 40% from 3, 79% from the line. Generally good defender from scouting reports I've heard and read.

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 04:29:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Quentin Grimes? Jr. age: 21, 6-5 H, 6-8 WS.  Can play both guard positions. Supposedly killed it at the combine both with play and interviews. 40% from 3, 79% from the line. Generally good defender from scouting reports I've heard and read.

He totally killed in the combine. Looked like Jamal Murray...

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 04:30:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Kessler Edwards (ESPN has us taking him at 45 in their latest Mock; described as SF/PF)

Any thoughts on these guys? I'm still a big Roko fan, just don't think he'll be around when we pick at 45.

I like Roko a lot and think Kessler Edwards can defend in the NBA from day one. Both of these guys should be gone by 45 but someone is going to slide.

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2021, 04:42:10 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Thanks for adding Livers.  :)

I’ve been touting Isaiah Todd since the G-League bubble, and while I think he’s a bit too raw to be a contributor next year, I do like him as a long term 4.  I don’t think he’ll be on the board at 45, but I’d be happy with the pick if he were.