Author Topic: Celtics (0-1) at Nets (1-0) Round 1 Game 2 5/25/21  (Read 38448 times)

Re: Celtics (0-1) at Nets (1-0) Round 1 Game 2 5/25/21
« Reply #495 on: May 26, 2021, 03:05:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I can’t remember the last time not looking forward to watching the Celtics in the playoffs as much as this year’s team. And when they won the play-in game, my interest dropped even further knowing they would play Brooklyn, and just get steamrolled. Am I the only fan here that felt this way?

I am the same way. This team had little chance of doing anything against Philly or Brooklyn in the first round with Jaylen Brown on the team and that little chance went down to zero without Jaylen Brown on the team.

No hope, no interest.

This is not that likeable a team but it is mostly that they are not good enough. That they stand no chance without Jaylen. They were already lacking depth and talent with Jaylen. Without him, they are dead in the water.

« Reply #496 on: May 27, 2021, 04:33:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I can’t remember the last time not looking forward to watching the Celtics in the playoffs as much as this year’s team. And when they won the play-in game, my interest dropped even further knowing they would play Brooklyn, and just get steamrolled. Am I the only fan here that felt this way?

I was happy to see Fournier stand up to Durant last night. As far as I’m concerned, Brown quit on this team. And in game one, Tatum turned to the ref, instead of actually standing up for himself, when Durant elbowed him. At first, it didn’t hit me why Scal thought Tatum should go back into the game last night during a blowout, after he was pocked in the eye. A minute or so later, I was in total agreement. Tatum showed no fight and backed down twice when Durant went after him. For a player who idolized Kobe, he shows none of Kobe’s toughness.

BTW, with the way this team has performed, will Fournier have any interest in re-signing? My worry, is the perception of another really good player leaving the first opportunity that presented itself with free agency.
You're going to have to explain this deplorable comment
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #497 on: May 27, 2021, 06:08:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Brad out. This is unacceptable - Nash has been coaching circles around him since the first half in game 1, and it wasn't like Brad was coaching out of his mind in that half (let's face it, the Nets were a bit cold in the first 24 minutes of game 1). It's one thing to lose to a team with superior talent, but it's another thing to look absolutely clueless while the opposition is blowing you out for ***** and giggles.

Nash came in with two former MVPs in their prime, the best below-rim-scorer and ball handler in the league (also 50/40/90 this season) - three players in the top 20 and two in the top… 5? 8? a clear plan, system that worked and adjusted on the fly, Brad came in with a poor plan at best (tempted to say none), a system that has been crap for most of the season and made little to no adjustments, while the slight adjustments he made were so predictable and tame that they were neutered immediately.

I'm just praying that Ainge has woken up and smelt the coffee, we need to go for top coaches like Budenholzer if he gets sacked by the Bucks (it's entirely possible for him to coach well and still lose in the second round if the Nets get really hot).

FTFY.

No universe where the coach changes the outcome of this series. Either coach.
Bolded part of my post for you to read - no one is asking for Brad to change the outcome of the series. It's unacceptable to look like an absolute muppet against a rookie coach though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #498 on: May 27, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Nash has been coaching circles around him since the first half in game 1, and it wasn't like Brad was coaching out of his mind in that half (let's face it, the Nets were a bit cold in the first 24 minutes of game 1).
Funny, I was just thinking the opposite in regards to Nash.   He has the players but I've seen him do very little in terms of coaching.   There is a huge talent differential between these two teams.  Nash seems like the type of guy who is going to let his guys play but I have seen few adjustments.   They started game one cold and came out and shot better.   Last night was the Nets playing together and shooting well.   

This is more about talent than coaching.
I disagree. There absolutely is a massive chasm between both teams in terms of talent, but Nash has done a fantastic job of integrating all three of his stars on offence - none of them are idle for long stretches without the ball, and it's incredibly easy to go for a 'take turns' offence when you have that much on-ball offensive talent who aren't extremely scalable types like Curry and Bird (see the 2012 Thunder when they had KD, Westbrook and Harden) besides Durant. Heck even our very own coach in Brad is having issues with this (look no further than Brown standing in the corner next to Kemba/Tatum and on the wing as a bailout isolation scorer even when Kemba and Tatum are off the floor), it isn't easy coaching a team with multiple stars who need the ball.

Meanwhile I don't think I need to say anything about his defensive coaching, it has simply been incredible this series. Obviously Brad being unimaginative per usual is compounding our issues on offence, but the way they have counters to all of our attempts (albeit tepid) to pick on their defence is the product of good coaching.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #499 on: May 27, 2021, 06:54:35 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Nash has been coaching circles around him since the first half in game 1, and it wasn't like Brad was coaching out of his mind in that half (let's face it, the Nets were a bit cold in the first 24 minutes of game 1).
Funny, I was just thinking the opposite in regards to Nash.   He has the players but I've seen him do very little in terms of coaching.   There is a huge talent differential between these two teams.  Nash seems like the type of guy who is going to let his guys play but I have seen few adjustments.   They started game one cold and came out and shot better.   Last night was the Nets playing together and shooting well.   

This is more about talent than coaching.
I disagree. There absolutely is a massive chasm between both teams in terms of talent, but Nash has done a fantastic job of integrating all three of his stars on offence - none of them are idle for long stretches without the ball, and it's incredibly easy to go for a 'take turns' offence when you have that much on-ball offensive talent who aren't extremely scalable types like Curry and Bird (see the 2012 Thunder when they had KD, Westbrook and Harden) besides Durant. Heck even our very own coach in Brad is having issues with this (look no further than Brown standing in the corner next to Kemba/Tatum and on the wing as a bailout isolation scorer even when Kemba and Tatum are off the floor), it isn't easy coaching a team with multiple stars who need the ball.

Meanwhile I don't think I need to say anything about his defensive coaching, it has simply been incredible this series. Obviously Brad being unimaginative per usual is compounding our issues on offence, but the way they have counters to all of our attempts (albeit tepid) to pick on their defence is the product of good coaching.

I guess the first words of Harris was to congrats his coach to adapt to the C's defense in game 1 and find way to get better outside shoot situations. I also have the feeling Nash and his experimented staff is doing good. But to proove it he will have to lead them to the title. And even then some will say it is only because of his dream team...

« Reply #500 on: May 27, 2021, 07:05:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
disagree. There absolutely is a massive chasm between both teams in terms of talent, but Nash has done a fantastic job of integrating all three of his stars on offence - none of them are idle for long stretches without the ball, and it's incredibly easy to go for a 'take turns' offence when you have that much on-ball offensive talent who aren't extremely scalable types like Curry and Bird (see the 2012 Thunder when they had KD, Westbrook and Harden) besides Durant. Heck even our very own coach in Brad is having issues with this (look no further than Brown standing in the corner next to Kemba/Tatum and on the wing as a bailout isolation scorer even when Kemba and Tatum are off the floor), it isn't easy coaching a team with multiple stars who need the ball.

Name one in game adjustment that you seen him make.   He is largely silent, let 's his players play and gets almost media attention.

He is from the Ty Lue school of coaching which is the stars are running the show....