Author Topic: Hoyer Resigned  (Read 2507 times)

Hoyer Resigned
« on: May 17, 2021, 09:45:05 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Very interesting... Pats going into camp with 4 QBs?

Re: Hoyer Resigned
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:03:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My guess is Stidham is gone. Best to surround Jones with two vet QBs to teach him, one in Hoyer that really knows the system, giving Hoyer time to tutor Jones while Cam plays.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:00:26 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
My guess is Stidham is gone. Best to surround Jones with two vet QBs to teach him, one in Hoyer that really knows the system, giving Hoyer time to tutor Jones while Cam plays.

Is it your guess that Cam is opening day stater?

If/once Jones takes over, do you see BB integrating Cam in the offense?

Do you think they’ll add a WR season via trade?  Seem to have a decent stable of good (2/3), not great receivers.  Can he find a 1 or a solid 2?

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 09:08:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Is it your guess that Cam is opening day stater?

If/once Jones takes over, do you see BB integrating Cam in the offense?

Do you think they’ll add a WR season via trade?  Seem to have a decent stable of good (2/3), not great receivers.  Can he find a 1 or a solid 2?
I think what you see is what you get for this year. I don't think they have too much wiggle room under the cap.

As for Cam, I think he starts the season but Jones will finish it. When Jones takes over would be just a guess. It could be anytime, even moreso if Cam gets injured

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 09:17:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think that you’re right.  Plus, you never know: a veteran back up may have some minor trade value if Cam and Jones are both ready to play.

The Bears have a similar dynamic going on: crappy starter (Dalton) solid back up (Foles), rookie who is probably already better than both of them (Fields).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 11:05:51 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Over these last few years Hoyer has been a QB coach. He helps run the QB room as an elder statesman having played 6 seasons with Josh.

Cam and Jones are "new" and Stidham is year three with few snaps.
Bill is all about competition thus...

I have two bets:

1)Stidham  plays lights out and enters season as the starter. Bill prefers QB's to "watch for 2 or 3 years" (maybe, we've always had Brady) and he might give him a chance if he can play into it.

Cam can't throw screen passes, quick outs or even touch passes into the end zone. My guess is it is his shoulder and I don't know if Bill is willing to lose some "extra games" building Cam's HOF stats.

2) Cam starts the season with Stidham entering in the 5th or 6th game.

Just don't see Bill giving the keys to Jones this year as he has to learn to read defenses. Bill requires a QB that can get the ball out quickly (Brady/Jimmy G) and this is reliant on the read.

It is difficult for rookie QB's especially non mobile rookie QB's to master the NFL.

The one shot Jones DOES have.

Cam can't get it going which is probable.
Stidham doesn't step up and "take" the position.

Jones gets the ball out. If he repeatedly demonstrates the ability to hit the targets Josh sets up for him in the face of the rush? He'll get to play.

Bill destroys opposing rookie QB's....it will take something significant for Jones to start games this year. 

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 11:39:09 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Over these last few years Hoyer has been a QB coach. He helps run the QB room as an elder statesman having played 6 seasons with Josh.

I have two bets:

1)Stidham  plays lights out and enters season as the starter. Bill prefers QB's to "watch for 2 or 3 years" (maybe, we've always had Brady) and he might give him a chance if he can play into it.

Cam can't throw screen passes, quick outs or even touch passes into the end zone. My guess is it is his shoulder and I don't know if Bill is willing to lose some "extra games" building Cam's HOF stats.

Just don't see Bill giving the keys to Jones this year as he has to learn to read defenses. Bill requires a QB that can get the ball out quickly (Brady/Jimmy G) and this is reliant on the read.

It is difficult for rookie QB's especially non mobile rookie QB's to master the NFL.

Jones gets the ball out. If he repeatedly demonstrates the ability to hit the targets Josh sets up for him in the face of the rush? He'll get to play.

Bill destroys opposing rookie QB's....it will take something significant for Jones to start games this year.

Love the analysis. Thanks.

Much different feel heading into this season.  Excited to see the QB competition.  Excited to see the new WR/TEs.   

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 11:53:41 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I have two bets:

#1 and 2 seem highly unlikely. Stidham hasn’t show anything to warrant taking over as a starter at the beginning of the season or 5-6 games in. If Bill had confidence in him, Mac wouldn’t have been drafted with the Pats #1 pick.

Regarding the bolded, that’s exactly what Mac is known for. His coaches have said that One of his biggest strengths is how fast he processes information. He gets the ball out quickly and was the most accurate passer of all time at the collegiate level.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:38:23 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 12:51:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I have two bets:

Could not disagree more with most of your stuff here.

1. Cam was last year's starter over Stidham, even though Cam was beyond terrible. Stidham had his chance last year and wasn't good enough to get the starter nod. Since then Bill re-signed Cam, drafted a QB in the 1st round and now has signed a third string QB. The writing is on the wall and it's rather obvious, Stidham is gone.

2. Cam probably starts the season but if anyone is stepping in mid season it will be the guy Bill just spent a lot of draft capital on...Mac Jones.

Your scouting report about Jones must be bad because all the things you say he has to learn are things he excelled at at Alabama. He goes through his progressions. He makes the right reads. He has a very, very quick release. And he is exceptionally accurate, even when going down field.

Sorry, but I think you're dead wrong on just about everything here. My guess is at some point, Jones makes his way to the starting nod and McDaniels will make sure that he allows Jones to, at first, just be a great game manager, much like Brady was his first couple years. Then, in future years, Jones can become the guy that becomes the star and not a game manager anymore.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 02:59:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I have two bets:

#1 and 2 seem highly unlikely. Stidham hasn’t show anything to warrant taking over a starter at the beginning of the season or 5-6 games in. If Bill had confidence in him, Mac wouldn’t have been drafted with the Pats #1 pick.

Regarding the bolded, that’s exactly what Mac is known for. His coaches have said that One of his biggest strengths is how fast he processes information. He gets the ball out quickly and was the most accurate passer of all time at the collegiate level.

Will be great to see.  The GOAT wasn’t ready to read NFL defenses in year 1.  Hope Jones shines in camps and preseason. 

My guess is Cam will start in the opener but would love to see either Jones or Stidham win the job.