Author Topic: 2021 Draft  (Read 68055 times)

Re: 2021 Draft
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 03:12:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would like us to buy? 1 or 2 second rounders..  badji diop and sylla are excellent draft and stash prospects..

We traded four 2nd rounders over the coming years in the Hayward/Fournier deals. I hope that we do indeed buy a couple of 2nd rounders over that time to show that the 2nd rounders we traded truly meant nothing.

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 09:43:23 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
My picks are

1st round pick
Charles Bassey -  reminds me of Capela game.  Long and physical. Not as explosive but mobile/agile enough.  Runs the floor hard.  And unlike Capela, has a working 3 pt shot and 75 percent FT shooter.   Lower level competition.  3 pt shooting has not progressed as hoped.   Has dealt with injuries (leg).   

2nd round pick
Yves Pons -  Kenneth Faried part 2.  With a working/streaky 3 pt shot.  Explosive athlete and very strong defender (defensive player of the year calibre)

If both are taken. Next season lineup

C - Thompson/TL/Bassey/Grant Williams
PF- Tatum/Nesmith/Pons/Grant Williams
SF- Brown/Nesmith/Pons
SG- Smart/Langford
PG - Walker/Pritchard/Yam

Two way
Tacko
Waters

I also like Bassey and Pons.

If he can stay healthy I have very little doubt Bassey will be a rotational big in the NBA. With clear medicals he could be both a safe pick and a higher upside pick on the second half of the first round.

Pons I really liked last season and I was hoping he would build on that this season. Statistically he did not improve (this may have been from Tenn influx of elite freshman). At this point I am less bullish then I was on Pons last year but would be thrilled if he could be drafted in the 2nd and either stashed over seas or signed to a 2-way deal. He is more of a long term project then a player who deserves an immediate roster spot. In a perfect developmental path he becomes a hybrid 3&D wing/ small ball diving 5. Physically he has the potential to be an elite big wing defender

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 10:17:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Delete
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:01:44 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 02:51:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My picks are

1st round pick
Charles Bassey -  reminds me of Capela game.  Long and physical. Not as explosive but mobile/agile enough.  Runs the floor hard.  And unlike Capela, has a working 3 pt shot and 75 percent FT shooter.   Lower level competition.  3 pt shooting has not progressed as hoped.   Has dealt with injuries (leg).   

2nd round pick
Yves Pons -  Kenneth Faried part 2.  With a working/streaky 3 pt shot.  Explosive athlete and very strong defender (defensive player of the year calibre)

If both are taken. Next season lineup

C - Thompson/TL/Bassey/Grant Williams
PF- Tatum/Nesmith/Pons/Grant Williams
SF- Brown/Nesmith/Pons
SG- Smart/Langford
PG - Walker/Pritchard/Yam

Two way
Tacko
Waters

I also like Bassey and Pons.

If he can stay healthy I have very little doubt Bassey will be a rotational big in the NBA. With clear medicals he could be both a safe pick and a higher upside pick on the second half of the first round.

Pons I really liked last season and I was hoping he would build on that this season. Statistically he did not improve (this may have been from Tenn influx of elite freshman). At this point I am less bullish then I was on Pons last year but would be thrilled if he could be drafted in the 2nd and either stashed over seas or signed to a 2-way deal. He is more of a long term project then a player who deserves an immediate roster spot. In a perfect developmental path he becomes a hybrid 3&D wing/ small ball diving 5. Physically he has the potential to be an elite big wing defender

Agreed

Bassey would be a good replacement for Tristan. And someone who could at least slow down Embiid of the world

Pons is a physical specimen.  But like you said needs time to develop his game. Still his defensive instincts is already very good.  Can switch/guard multiple positions
Charles Bassey to me is Daniel Gafford 2.0. And that's a good thing. I think he'll be a really good second string big man for years, much like Gafford is in Washington right now.

I would be totally fine with taking him, but I fear he's not quite good enough for our first round pick but too good to fall to us in the second round.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2021, 08:18:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I hate to throw cold water on this thread, but I think there is a better than 50:50 chance Ainge moves his draft pick this year in a trade, especially if he keep all of Langford, Nesmith and Pritchard.

If the Celtics are going to be in the tax, Stevens is going to need to give it his all and make a run for the title and adding yet another mid first rounder that needs development to the team makes that a lot more difficult to do.

But, let's say Fournier doesn't re-sign, if Ainge does make the pick, my binkie in that range is Franz Wagner. Good size swing. Can hit the three. Great free throw shooter. Very good rebounder that should get better when he adds some size in the weight room. Doesn't turn the ball over. Excellent at the fundamentals like proper positioning, boxing out, making the right passes, finishing at the basket at a high rate, etc. Not a great creater of his own offense but an efficient scorer.

But, he will need to work on the 15-23 foot shot and his defense. His handle could use some work to if he ends up sliding into the 3 spot a lot. Should be interesting to see what his combine numbers will be.

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I hate to throw cold water on this thread, but I think there is a better than 50:50 chance Ainge moves his draft pick this year in a trade, especially if he keep all of Langford, Nesmith and Pritchard.

If the Celtics are going to be in the tax, Stevens is going to need to give it his all and make a run for the title and adding yet another mid first rounder that needs development to the team makes that a lot more difficult to do.

But, let's say Fournier doesn't re-sign, if Ainge does make the pick, my binkie in that range is Franz Wagner. Good size swing. Can hit the three. Great free throw shooter. Very good rebounder that should get better when he adds some size in the weight room. Doesn't turn the ball over. Excellent at the fundamentals like proper positioning, boxing out, making the right passes, finishing at the basket at a high rate, etc. Not a great creater of his own offense but an efficient scorer.

But, he will need to work on the 15-23 foot shot and his defense. His handle could use some work to if he ends up sliding into the 3 spot a lot. Should be interesting to see what his combine numbers will be.

I agree that there is a good chance the Cs move the pick. Unless the Cs makes waves in the playoffs I except we see a major roster shake up this off-season and this years 1st round pick could come into play with that. I also think the play of Yam Madar this season likely leads to him joining the team next season on a guaranteed deal.

As for Wagner, I haven't watched a ton of his games but major media reports are that the analytics guys love him and he will be long gone before the Cs pick. Chad ford is currently projecting him as a top 10 pick.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2021, 09:31:34 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I think it's pretty unlikely Ainge moves the pick unless he is able to trade it for a future first.  With the tax situation the C's will already be in, cost-controlled players are even more important.

Also, Franz Wagner's biggest strength is his defense.  He'll find himself an All-NBA defender at least once in his career -- that, not his offense, is what makes him playable from day 1.  It seems really weird to call him your binkie and then say he needs to work on his top ability.  His weakness is his inconsistency with his shot, both off the dribble and off the catch.

But the odds that Wagner is available at our pick seem sadly low at this point, unless we bomb out of the play-in tourney and wind up at pick 13 or 14 (and even then there's a good chance he's gone).

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2021, 09:51:52 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
In recent history, it has been very very difficult to move up a few spots mid draft. That has been a huge frustration for me as a C's fan. Watching Halliburton go only two spots ahead of Nesmith made me sick. Thankfully Nesmith is starting to make me feel better. The same dynamic could play out with Wagner, who also seems like an obvious fit for the C's.

This dynamic may change because there is a gigantic imbalance in the picks that has developed in the last couple of years, with a few teams hoarding ridiculous numbers of picks. It will force more pick trades. Hopefully we can take advantage.

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2021, 10:03:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
In recent history, it has been very very difficult to move up a few spots mid draft. That has been a huge frustration for me as a C's fan. Watching Halliburton go only two spots ahead of Nesmith made me sick. Thankfully Nesmith is starting to make me feel better. The same dynamic could play out with Wagner, who also seems like an obvious fit for the C's.

This dynamic may change because there is a gigantic imbalance in the picks that has developed in the last couple of years, with a few teams hoarding ridiculous numbers of picks. It will force more pick trades. Hopefully we can take advantage.
I figure those teams will be in a similar, but worse, situation than Danny was in when he stockpile the volume of picks he had.  Teams will be asking for an overpay in picks because they know those teams cannot reasonably make and keep all those picks OR those teams will refuse to overpay and be stuck with drafting and keeping all those players.  in OKC's case, that's going to be huge mess if they cannot find a trading partner.

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2021, 10:17:17 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I figure those teams will be in a similar, but worse, situation than Danny was in when he stockpile the volume of picks he had.  Teams will be asking for an overpay in picks because they know those teams cannot reasonably make and keep all those picks OR those teams will refuse to overpay and be stuck with drafting and keeping all those players.  in OKC's case, that's going to be huge mess if they cannot find a trading partner.

I have to disagree. There are more teams and far more picks this time. Two teams are starting with very little, and New Orleans is in a place like we were, with some potential cornerstones already on the roster. Those teams can't do what Ainge did.

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2021, 12:52:46 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I would think that the hording of picks by other teams will make trading down into the second half of the first round and trading up into the late first easier. Much like the Celtics in the past when teams have 3 firsts they are likely to move the last of those picks to prevent roster space issues.

Looking at the current standings (lottery not factored) I could see the...

Knicks who hold picks 22,23,32,and 58 looking to move up from 22 in a consolidation trade or out of 23 to avoid bringing in 3 guaranteed rookies.

Rockets have picks 1,20, and 24 but they need players and taking 3 rookies makes sense for them

OKC has picks 4,18,33,34, and 56 they seemed primed to may a run at a star but if not they become a candidate to package their valuable early seconds for a current or future 1st. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2021, 02:30:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I would think that the hording of picks by other teams will make trading down into the second half of the first round and trading up into the late first easier. Much like the Celtics in the past when teams have 3 firsts they are likely to move the last of those picks to prevent roster space issues.

Knicks who hold picks 22,23,32,and 58 looking to move up from 22 in a consolidation trade or out of 23 to avoid bringing in 3 guaranteed rookies.

Rockets have picks 1,20, and 24 but they need players and taking 3 rookies makes sense for them

OKC has picks 4,18,33,34, and 56 they seemed primed to may a run at a star but if not they become a candidate to package their valuable early seconds for a current or future 1st.
I agree that it would make sense for them to trade those picks either for future assets or players but with their glut of picks, I'm saying that other teams will ask them to overpay or they'll be stuck -- much like Danny was.   I'm not just looking at one year but the next few.  OKC is going to have one helluva problem contending with all the picks they've accumulated. 

Knicks: would make sense to try to package them to move up  for a chance at a real impact player but they've got to find a willing partner to take those picks that are higher in the draft.  As we've seen with Danny, that's much easier said than done.

Rockets:  Need talented bodies, not just quantity.  I would think they'd want to package 20 & 24 to move up for a better player but again, they need a partner to make that happen.  They're likely competing with the Knicks for that trading partner and using similar assets.

OKC: They need bodies, good ones, to add to SGA and Dort so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to move 56 with another pick to possibly move up but how much ground would that pick gain them?  the other picks are ones they should use to help start improving that roster.  It's in future years where they're going to drown in picks when they have nowhere to put all those guaranteed first round contracts never mind the second rounders that show they're NBA caliber players.

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2021, 03:55:40 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I agree that it would make sense for them to trade those picks either for future assets or players but with their glut of picks, I'm saying that other teams will ask them to overpay or they'll be stuck -- much like Danny was.   I'm not just looking at one year but the next few.  OKC is going to have one helluva problem contending with all the picks they've accumulated. 

Knicks: would make sense to try to package them to move up  for a chance at a real impact player but they've got to find a willing partner to take those picks that are higher in the draft.  As we've seen with Danny, that's much easier said than done.

Rockets:  Need talented bodies, not just quantity.  I would think they'd want to package 20 & 24 to move up for a better player but again, they need a partner to make that happen.  They're likely competing with the Knicks for that trading partner and using similar assets.

OKC: They need bodies, good ones, to add to SGA and Dort so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to move 56 with another pick to possibly move up but how much ground would that pick gain them?  the other picks are ones they should use to help start improving that roster.  It's in future years where they're going to drown in picks when they have nowhere to put all those guaranteed first round contracts never mind the second rounders that show they're NBA caliber players.

We are in agreement, like the Celtics with time unless they pull off a major asset rich trade (AKA trade picks for a star) those picks become tough to trade at fair market value.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2021, 04:02:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think it's pretty unlikely Ainge moves the pick unless he is able to trade it for a future first.  With the tax situation the C's will already be in, cost-controlled players are even more important.

Also, Franz Wagner's biggest strength is his defense.  He'll find himself an All-NBA defender at least once in his career -- that, not his offense, is what makes him playable from day 1.  It seems really weird to call him your binkie and then say he needs to work on his top ability.  His weakness is his inconsistency with his shot, both off the dribble and off the catch.

But the odds that Wagner is available at our pick seem sadly low at this point, unless we bomb out of the play-in tourney and wind up at pick 13 or 14 (and even then there's a good chance he's gone).
Saw him just once this year and thought his defense okay. I saw him a lot more as a freshman and though his defense was good, but it wasn't anything to write home about. If he took some big leap defensively this season, I missed it. Most of my opinion is based on games and video from last year.

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2021, 05:09:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Last year I had Pritchard in my 1st round when he was thought to be a second rounder to undrafted and this year I have Marcus Garrett. He's a low floor older player. Great defender and a solid ball handler. He's got his 3% up to a respectable  34%.