Author Topic: Patriots 2021 Offseason Thread  (Read 14724 times)

Re: Patriots 2021 Offseason Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2021, 12:50:30 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Wacky season ahead. Cam is fit now and fairly spry don't forget...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2021, 12:53:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Wacky season ahead. Cam is fit now and fairly spry don't forget...

I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2021, 02:27:11 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Looks like BB wants to see what happens when you put two TE threats on the field, and 2-3 running backs (Cam is one of them), and then take an occasional shot downfield. Have to admit, they'll create some interesting matchups.

So do we sell Asiasi at this point for a 2nd day pick?

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Tampa Bay inquiring about Patriots' James White.

Oh snap

Makes sense.  White is super useful when you have a QB like Brady.

When your QB is Cam Newton he's a wasted asset, like a spoiler on a Toyota Camry.

The good day that was yesterday gets knocked down a peg if the pats lose James White.   Valuable asset.

I'd hate to lose him. Maybe the best pass-catching back in the league, and dangerous in the open field. They lost Dion Lewis a couple seasons ago, so if they lose White, I think the only good pass-catching back they'd have is Burkhead, but he's injury prone.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Oh snap

When your QB is Cam Newton he's a wasted asset, like a spoiler on a Toyota Camry.

The good day that was yesterday gets knocked down a peg if the pats lose James White.   Valuable asset.

I'd hate to lose him. Maybe the best pass-catching back in the league, and dangerous in the open field. They lost Dion Lewis a couple seasons ago, so if they lose White, I think the only good pass-catching back they'd have is Burkhead, but he's injury prone.
While not as good as White, I think Harris and Michel are better pass catchers than utilized, at least they were in college.  Sony had 26/270 3TD's in 2015 at UGA while Harris had 22/204 in 2018 at Bama.  They also have Taylor, but darn is he small, 5'6" 185.  Maybe they try to add a Gainwell out of Memphis type in the draft.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2021, 03:26:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Oh snap

While not as good as White, I think Harris and Michel are better pass catchers than utilized, at least they were in college.  Sony had 26/270 3TD's in 2015 at UGA while Harris had 22/204 in 2018 at Bama.  They also have Taylor, but darn is he small, 5'6" 185.  Maybe they try to add a Gainwell out of Memphis type in the draft.

These past 2 days changes the entire draft doesn’t it?   

Bill is going to trade before and during the draft. Needs a better QB badly.  Seems to have a plan.  Looking forward to seeing it play out. 

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2021, 03:50:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Oh snap

These past 2 days changes the entire draft doesn’t it?   

Bill is going to trade before and during the draft. Needs a better QB badly.  Seems to have a plan.  Looking forward to seeing it play out.

If SF is able to get Trey Lance or Justin Fields at 12, I feel like Bill will  try to get Jimmy G Back. If not, I think he grabs Mac Jones at 15. Either option wouldn’t be bad at this point. If Cam plays like he did last year or even slightly better, what’s the best case scenario for the Pats 9-7 or maybe 10-6? Not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to get a top QB in the draft. Stuck right in the middle.  :-\
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2021, 04:45:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man, Henry and Smith? That's amazing!! Henry is a real pass catching threat, and Smith is a genuinely awesome athlete. Going to be working the middle of the field with our two TEs, have Agholor as a deep threat and have two damaging RBs. I know Cam had some real low-points throughout the season, but I think with our reinvigorated offensive line and some rest his footwork will be less all over the place. I'm pretty excited about this offence.

Really don't want us to trade for Jimmy G, considering he's made of glass. I'd be perfectly happy trying to use Asiasi and draft capital to try and move up ahead of Carolina and snag Fields or Lance. We've seen in Buffalo that giving stuff up for a premier QB talent is worth it. If someone like Atlanta or even Carolina move up settling for Mac Jones would be okay with me.

Our offence is going to look like pretty different!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2021, 05:10:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1371926721356836883

New Patriots salary cap numbers:

LB Matt Judon: $6.375m
QB Cam Newton: $5.4m
TE Jonnu Smith: $4.9375m
DB Jalen Mills: $4.56m
DT Davon Godchaux: $4.0625m
DE Deatrich Wise: $3.25m
WR Kendrick Bourne: $3.2m

Total: $31.785m

Things don't look too bad with those. Doesn't account for Henry, Anderson, Agholor or Brown.

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2021, 06:08:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A lot of what the Pats have done over the last couple of days will look really good if they find a way to acquire a potentially exciting QB prospect in the draft.

If it's "run it back with Cam plus more weapons," I am not enthused.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2021, 06:18:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Man, Henry and Smith? That's amazing!! Henry is a real pass catching threat, and Smith is a genuinely awesome athlete. Going to be working the middle of the field with our two TEs, have Agholor as a deep threat and have two damaging RBs. I know Cam had some real low-points throughout the season, but I think with our reinvigorated offensive line and some rest his footwork will be less all over the place. I'm pretty excited about this offence.

Really don't want us to trade for Jimmy G, considering he's made of glass. I'd be perfectly happy trying to use Asiasi and draft capital to try and move up ahead of Carolina and snag Fields or Lance. We've seen in Buffalo that giving stuff up for a premier QB talent is worth it. If someone like Atlanta or even Carolina move up settling for Mac Jones would be okay with me.

He has been super injury prone, Which would likely reduce the asking price. Maybe a 2nd rounder and another late round pick? Then you have Cam as the insurance policy. Jimmy is still only 29 and he was The QB that Bill had wanted to move forward with. winning without Brady has got to be important to Belichick and to do so with Jimmy G would be pretty sweet...

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2021, 06:40:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He has been super injury prone, Which would likely reduce the asking price. Maybe a 2nd rounder and another late round pick? Then you have Cam as the insurance policy. Jimmy is still only 29 and he was The QB that Bill had wanted to move forward with. winning without Brady has got to be important to Belichick and to do so with Jimmy G would be pretty sweet...
I feel like with the financial price tag associated with Jimmy G alongside his inability to play 8 games a season he's worth a 3rd tops. He'd be an alright addition, and he seems to work well with TEs. I'd rather a young QB like Lance, but can see this playing out too.

Maybe we just go all out for Watson

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2021, 09:52:35 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Now KVN is back!

One team is making the necessary moves to re-enter contender status.

Your move Danny :)

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2021, 09:54:12 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
A lot of what the Pats have done over the last couple of days will look really good if they find a way to acquire a potentially exciting QB prospect in the draft.

If it's "run it back with Cam plus more weapons," I am not enthused.

Based on how many pieces they’ve signed it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re content on using draft capital to trade up into the top 7.

That said unless they sign another free agent I doubt a rookie starts over Cam, at least for the first few games. He may have been bad last year but I doubt guys like Henry signed on to play with a rookie; it seems that Cam still has pull around the league.

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
This defence is pretty loaded, especially that LB group