Author Topic: Cleveland Indians are dropping their name...  (Read 29863 times)

Cleveland Indians are dropping their name...
« on: December 13, 2020, 09:56:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
... the Indians are no more.

Personally, I never found “Indians” to be offensive.  Chief Wahoo, yes.  Seeming slurs like “Redskins”, yes.  But names like “Seminoles”, “Sioux”, and the more general “Indians” weren’t inherently offensive to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Cleveland Indians are dropping their name...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 10:48:22 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I think all sports teams should follow the Washington Football Team model, so that absolutely no one gets offended by anything.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 10:54:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think all sports teams should follow the Washington Football Team model, so that absolutely no one gets offended by anything.

Hard for The Washington Football Team to offernd anyone with their losing tradition.

The only people the Washington Football Team offends are its fans.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 10:54:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think the name is necessarily the problem, but much more so the mascot.  And I don't just mean Chief Wahoo, but any mascot you come up with is going to be problematic.  It is always going to border on offensive.  Same with the Chiefs, which is why they have the KC Wolf (and Warpaint, the horse, ridden now by a Chiefs cheerleader) instead of anything resembling Native American history (they got rid of that stuff in the 80's). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 10:59:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Hard for The Washington Football Team to offernd anyone with their losing tradition.

The only people the Washington Football Team offends are its fans.
agreed, on both counts, as a fan and as someone who's part Native American.  :(

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 11:42:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I don't think the name is necessarily the problem, but much more so the mascot.  And I don't just mean Chief Wahoo, but any mascot you come up with is going to be problematic.  It is always going to border on offensive.  Same with the Chiefs, which is why they have the KC Wolf (and Warpaint, the horse, ridden now by a Chiefs cheerleader) instead of anything resembling Native American history (they got rid of that stuff in the 80's).

You think so?  I don’t follow the debate enough to know what’s considered offensive, but I would think that many mascots could be dignified.  A silhouette of a Native on a horse?  The more genetic arrowhead or feather?  For instance, I saw this concept:

To me, that’s fine.  But Wahoo, yeah.  That was problematic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 12:20:52 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
George Washington was a slave owner. So it’s only a matter of time until they’re offended by the name “Washington football team”

The slippery slope was created by the perpetually offended, and it was enabled by the people who give them legitimacy by granting their wishes

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 12:27:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
George Washington was a slave owner. So it’s only a matter of time until they’re offended by the name “Washington football team”

The slippery slope was created by the perpetually offended, and it was enabled by the people who give them legitimacy by granting their wishes

Can’t even go with the District of Columbia Football Team.  Columbus was a genocidal maniac under today’s norms.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 05:12:51 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
The Cleveland Wypipo has a pretty good ring to it. Perhaps they should go with that.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 06:50:47 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Chief Wahoo was blatantly offensive imo. If that isn't a racial caricature,  I don't know what is.

With that being said, this is largely an empty gesture. The US government will continue to give pennies on the dollar to satisfy its treaties with Native Americans.

The poverty and neglect will remain, and so will the underlying disgrace. Meanwhile everyone can argue online and be outraged about their respective grievances. It's really America in a nutshell.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 06:58:53 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Stupid!! I’m part Indian and I’m not offended by the name..Grandma was Cherokee..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 07:57:04 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Not such a slippery slope really.  I believe the offended in this case have been told "no" for decade upon decade.   It may be a credit to the offended that persistence eventually paid off - but in all honesty if you have to persist for decades to be heard, not sure if it doesn't feel like a hollow victory.

Should we put onus solely on the offended to not take offense, or do offenders have some responsibility to try not to offend?   Like most things, there's balance -- it's likely that the best landing spot is that people need to have a reasonably tough skin while also having thoughtfulness about the impact of what they say and do on others.   

Absolutely society shouldn't jump to the whims of the overly sensitive any more than it should allow free reign to those who couldn't care less who they offend.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 08:45:26 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Cleveland Spiders?? Blah..that’s what rumor is or what the Cleveland reporter is saying..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 08:51:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Cleveland Spiders?? Blah..that’s what rumor is or what the Cleveland reporter is saying..

They should bring back more of the 19th century nicknames, haha.

I’m not sure that Spiders is particularly marketable, though.  Lots of folks have an aversion to them, and might not want pictures of spiders on their clothing.  But who knows, I guess.

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 09:17:08 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Remarkable to me that so many millions of people who hate this country and everything it stands for remain here!  I think the best money our government could ever spend would to give free "one way" airfare to everyone that wants out!