Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 203153 times)

Re: Coronavirus: League to Discuss Measures
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 03:40:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That said, I’m no longer anticipating attending the Celtics game in DC two weeks from now.
I had tickets to the Miami game in April that I moved the other day. I'm just not going to risk anything when it looks like the situation might get much worse before it gets better.

Re: What happens if games played without fans?
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 03:56:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
All the games will be like Heat games....

Now Thats funny right there ....i don't care who you are LOL ;)

Last Games with Fans in Attendance?
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It seems like empty arena games are imminent.  If that's the case in not sure why they're waiting.  Do you think tonight will be the last night with fans in the stands?
Yup

Re: Last Games with Fans in Attendance?
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 06:33:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Yes

Many cities around the US are outright banning the congregation of events with over 1000 people attending.

And companies are forcing people to work from home

It’s inevitable that we are going to see fanless games very soon. Should be interesting when it happens

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 06:41:14 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Any chance of declaring a shorten season so fans can still watch live.
Best of 5 1st round
Best of 5 second round
Then best of 7 thereafter.

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 06:45:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Any chance of declaring a shorten season so fans can still watch live.
Best of 5 1st round
Best of 5 second round
Then best of 7 thereafter.

Shortening season wouldn’t work.  The current schedule is more likely to be on a timeline that would let fans attend at least some rounds of the playoffs.

If we stay inside for the next 4-6 weeks, we have a good chance to get this under control.  The longer we wait, the harder it will be to slow down the spread.  We’re very near an inflection point as is.

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
entertainment industry is in for a hard go of it Im afraid .  people need to be responsible and not pass covid19 to friends with weakened immune system

I would go to baseball out doors , but packed NBA house ....naw Im not going or getting on no plane anywhere for many months .

odd , our vactation was to go to Washington state and Oregon  for 6 weeks in May .  We have canceled that gig....

Best cool our jets

i would not want as an nba player to play in a monster sized place with nobody there . 

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I find this to be ridiculous.  A 5 to 60 year old without serious respiratory or immune deficiencies is at almost no risk from the diseases.  Trying to quasi-quarantine tens of millions of people is ridiculous.

Are we going to shut down all the subways?  Restaurants?  Movie theaters?  Maybe we can become a society of hermits, for a disease that for 90% of the population is as serious as the common cold.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 07:35:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
entertainment industry is in for a hard go of it Im afraid .  people need to be responsible and not pass covid19 to friends with weakened immune system

I would go to baseball out doors , but packed NBA house ....naw Im not going or getting on no plane anywhere for many months .

odd , our vactation was to go to Washington state and Oregon  for 6 weeks in May .  We have canceled that gig....

Best cool our jets

i would not want as an nba player to play in a monster sized place with nobody there .

Maybe they can simulate the games on NBA2K.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I find this to be ridiculous.  A 5 to 60 year old without serious respiratory or immune deficiencies is at almost no risk from the diseases.  Trying to quasi-quarantine tens of millions of people is ridiculous.

Are we going to shut down all the subways?  Restaurants?  Movie theaters?  Maybe we can become a society of hermits, for a disease that for 90% of the population is as serious as the common cold.

It's not necessarily the risk to the carrier, but how easily the carrier can spread it that seems to but the real bugger.
Yup

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 12:05:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It's not necessarily the risk to the carrier, but how easily the carrier can spread it that seems to but the real bugger.

Oh, I get it.  The more carriers, the more chance that vulnerable people will catch it and have truly adverse consequences.

But, in a city like Boston or NYC, simply walking around the city and living life seems just as likely to spread the disease as going to an NBA crowd does.

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 12:14:28 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Oh, I get it.  The more carriers, the more chance that vulnerable people will catch it and have truly adverse consequences.

But, in a city like Boston or NYC, simply walking around the city and living life seems just as likely to spread the disease as going to an NBA crowd does.
Yeah, I don't know how much of this is gonna help until a quarantine on a deeper level. I know for me, I still pack into a train like sardines with hundreds of other people, 5 days a week, and then work at a movie theater where I interact with hundreds more random people.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 01:11:21 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

walking around in crowded areas is probably going to be banned soon

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 09:23:30 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, I have Celtics/Bulls tickets for this Sunday.  Missed the C's the first time they were out here this season. 

Guessing its about 50/50 now that I'll see them.  Nothing would surprise me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 10:03:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Where the heck are you getting "as serious as the common cold"? Its mindset like these that are making this harder to control.