Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 559252 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #6480 on: November 29, 2021, 10:32:53 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Josh Richardson
  • Tommy Points: 34
I don't understand the unvaccinated at all, for me its a matter of "safe than sorry."

Getting the shot couldn't have been easier, and believe me... I'm highly suspicious of government too. It's like not wearing a seatbelt for spite.

I feel for many it's a lack of trust towards our "car salesman" like politicians and the ugly greedy government they represent. My daughter is as liberal as can be, and refuses to get a shot.

What I learned from asking that woman I shared in a previous post was her answer she gave was not evil, not selfish, just dumb. Just like that Frank Zappa Dumb All Over song.

« Reply #6481 on: November 29, 2021, 06:00:52 PM »

Online Kiorrik

• Global Moderator
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1348
  • pɹɐnƃ ʇuıod
I don't understand the unvaccinated at all, for me its a matter of "safe than sorry."

Getting the shot couldn't have been easier, and believe me... I'm highly suspicious of government too. It's like not wearing a seatbelt for spite.

I feel for many it's a lack of trust towards our "car salesman" like politicians and the ugly greedy government they represent. My daughter is as liberal as can be, and refuses to get a shot.

What I learned from asking that woman I shared in a previous post was her answer she gave was not evil, not selfish, just dumb. Just like that Frank Zappa Dumb All Over song.

And then there's people that are unable to determine whether a source of information is trustworthy or not. Which is in itself becoming more difficult to determine in this day and age.

Unable to see how people might profit from paranoia.

« Reply #6482 on: November 29, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2683
https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-covid-video-grandmother/31584780.html

Oh man Ö..I bet twice as many people have succumb in Russia as reported .

« Reply #6483 on: November 29, 2021, 11:59:46 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163

Iíd say even twice as many might be an underestimate.

« Reply #6484 on: November 30, 2021, 11:30:32 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 148

Thatís pretty much a certainty. Through September Russia exceeded expected deaths during the pandemic by a gobsmacking 750,000. The official death toll from Covid-19 was 203,549.

https://www.ft.com/content/f1a270c3-3870-46ad-99e8-45b5d8f127e0
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so Iím definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #6485 on: December 01, 2021, 07:49:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2683

I also suspect the true total for the world death tally is pretty grim figure , far worse than shown.

« Reply #6486 on: December 01, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 822
I read a quote from a German epidemiologist and MP, Dr Karl Lauterbach, who is running to be Germany's next health minister about how Omicron could be a blessing in disguise. Right now the data suggests that it has a higher level of transmissibility than Delta, but so far symptoms for those infected have been mild. Obviously it's still to early to know if that will hold, but if it does, and Omicron ends up being more transmissible, thus supplanting Delta as the predominant global strain, but less virulent, with a lower overall fatality rate and causing less hospitalizations overall, it may signal Covid's eventual transition into a cold-like virus that spreads easily but leads to less sickness overall.

Obviously a lot of "ifs" in there, but the same thing happened with SARS, and H1N1, and has happened with Ebola outbreaks in Africa. The next few weeks will provide much more information on Omicron's infection fatality rate.

More on Dr Lauterbach's thoughts can be read here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10253611/Could-Omicron-GOOD-news-Variant-speed-end-pandemic-causes-mild-illness.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6487 on: December 01, 2021, 05:54:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26792
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
White House Coronavirus Response Team Member Dr. Anthony Fauci dodged a question from Fox News Reporter Peter Doocy regarding illegal immigrants being screened for the omicron coronavirus variant at the border.

"You advised the president about the possibility of new testing requirements for people coming into this country, does that include everybody?" Doocy asked Fauci during a press conference on Wednesday as the White House is reportedly set to issue travel restrictions for American citizens in response to the omicron variant of the coronavirus.

"The answer is yes," Fauci said, prompting Doocy to ask if migrants crossing the southern border were included.

"Thatís a different issue," Fauci claimed.

Fauci explained that there is testing at the border "under certain circumstances" and cited the fact "we still have Title 42" which put into place by former President Donald Trump to mitigate the spread of coronavirus at the border.

President Biden's enhanced winter COVID-19 strategy that will be announced Thursday will require every traveler entering the country, including returning U.S. citizens, to be tested one day before boarding their flight, according to the CDC. The rule will also apply to vaccinated travelers, who previously were only required to show a negative test no more than three days before their flight.

But the Biden administration has refused to put similar requirements in place for those who illegally cross the border, claiming in September that such individuals do not intend "to stay here for a lengthy period of time

Does that policy / answer make any sense from a health standpoint?Iím not asking rhetorically. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6488 on: December 01, 2021, 06:02:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8522
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
White House Coronavirus Response Team Member Dr. Anthony Fauci dodged a question from Fox News Reporter Peter Doocy regarding illegal immigrants being screened for the omicron coronavirus variant at the border.

"You advised the president about the possibility of new testing requirements for people coming into this country, does that include everybody?" Doocy asked Fauci during a press conference on Wednesday as the White House is reportedly set to issue travel restrictions for American citizens in response to the omicron variant of the coronavirus.

"The answer is yes," Fauci said, prompting Doocy to ask if migrants crossing the southern border were included.

Fauci explained that there is testing at the border "under certain circumstances" and cited the fact "we still have Title 42" which put into place by former President Donald Trump to mitigate the spread of coronavirus at the border.

President Biden's enhanced winter COVID-19 strategy that will be announced Thursday will require every traveler entering the country, including returning U.S. citizens, to be tested one day before boarding their flight, according to the CDC. The rule will also apply to vaccinated travelers, who previously were only required to show a negative test no more than three days before their flight.

But the Biden administration has refused to put similar requirements in place for those who illegally cross the border, claiming in September that such individuals do not intend "to stay here for a lengthy period of time

Does that policy / answer make any sense from a health standpoint?Iím not asking rhetorically.
I would love to see the exact question asked Fauci on the question he answered "That's a different issue." Fauci can sometimes be very specific or very vague on his answers depending on the exact wording of the question.

« Reply #6489 on: December 01, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I would love to see the exact question asked Fauci on the question he answered "That's a different issue." Fauci can sometimes be very specific or very vague on his answers depending on the exact wording of the question.

Yeah, I donít blame Fauci so much, other than heís turning into a politician.  I presume he didnít propose the border policy.

But the policy itself makes no sense, right?  And the idea that illegal migrants donít stay a significant period of time isÖ. What?  Just a blatant lie, right?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6490 on: December 01, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8522
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, I donít blame Fauci so much, other than heís turning into a politician.  I presume he didnít propose the border policy.

But the policy itself makes no sense, right?  And the idea that illegal migrants donít stay a significant period of time isÖ. What?  Just a blatant lie, right?  Or am I misunderstanding something?
Again, what was Biden's exact quote before "to stay here for a lengthy period of time". Fox tends to bend the truth and use quotes out of context when it comes to Fauci and Biden. So until, that total quote, and context is provided, I can't tell you for sure what Biden was saying was truth or a lie.

« Reply #6491 on: December 01, 2021, 06:34:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Again, what was Biden's exact quote before "to stay here for a lengthy period of time". Fox tends to bend the truth and use quotes out of context when it comes to Fauci and Biden. So until, that total quote, and context is provided, I can't tell you for sure what Biden was saying was truth or a lie.

Thatís fair.  I pulled the blurb off of Yahoo, rather than Fox, but I suspect youíre correct that thatís who they cited.

« Reply #6492 on: December 01, 2021, 06:35:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2042

Sometimes there is good reason to have differences of opinion or priorities or approaches.  But truthfully is there anyone who thinks that Fauci or the US government want people coming across the border with Covid?  I would doubt it.   I won't make an excuse for Fauci if he hedged because I don't know why he would hedge on a question like that.  But I'm pretty sure it isn't because he or anyone thinks that migrants crossing the border shouldn't be tested.  It could be that it's been logistically challenging -- in which case he could try to explain but it would still feel like a hedge.   

« Reply #6493 on: December 02, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 300
Numbers are starting to get really high in MA again. Almost 5K new cases yesterday... How we donít have a mask mandate is beyond me. Itís also disconcerting that more than 1/3 of hospitalized patients in MA are fully vaccinated..

Newly reported cases: 4,838
Total confirmed cases: 860,280
Newly reported deaths: 25

Total confirmed deaths: 19,016
Newly reported tests: 121,485
Total tests: 33,563,649
Percent positivity (seven-day average): 5.14%
Hospitalized patients: 957
Hospitalized patients who are fully vaccinated: 355
ICU patients: 204
Intubated patients: 104
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 08:52:19 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #6494 on: December 02, 2021, 11:22:10 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • On To Banner 18!
Numbers are starting to get really high in MA again. Almost 5K new cases yesterday... How we donít have a mask mandate is beyond me. Itís also disconcerting that more than 1/3 of hospitalized patients in MA are fully vaccinated..

Newly reported cases: 4,838
Total confirmed cases: 860,280
Newly reported deaths: 25

Total confirmed deaths: 19,016
Newly reported tests: 121,485
Total tests: 33,563,649
Percent positivity (seven-day average): 5.14%
Hospitalized patients: 957
Hospitalized patients who are fully vaccinated: 355
ICU patients: 204
Intubated patients: 104

I just really don't think anyone cares anymore which is frustrating but the truth. You go around and there's not many people wearing masks anymore (and yes, I include those that have a mask but have it down to their chins/neck in this) including in stores and public transportation, and I think people are also becoming tired of having to tell people every single day to put on a mask in a store if they aren't.

They can definitely enforce mask mandates but most stores still have them in place so unless they enforce it more in outdoor settings too it won't matter. You see football games, etc. with thousands of fans packed and not much mask-wearing.

We'll see what happens as Omicron continues to spread. They found evidence of the first U.S. case in California but it's definitely been here in the U.S. for some time now. Makes getting the booster shot in the next month or two very important.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller