Author Topic: 2019-20 EPL Season  (Read 26401 times)

Re: 2019-20 EPL Season
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 02:03:21 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Quote from: Somebody
Any no nonsense clubs? I know I'm being a huge bandwagon here but I quit being a United fan after Jose got sacked. I don't care if the club isn't good, I just want to watch a club where people are trying their best.
Hmm you can go by teams that produce exciting players. I’m not sure what the equivalent of Ajax in EPL is.
Probably arsenal ... Venger has been a legend and got those young teams to play super exciting for years.
Maybe Everton and Newcastle are good choices - two teams with historically strong youth movement that play hard.

Leicester city (foxes) are a good choice but they seem to be a one hit wonder ...

English teams aren’t what they used to be once the league became so commercialized. They don’t produce young players but just buy their way in ... usually importing from teams like Ajax or red Star Belgrade or Africa ...

The crazy gang of Wimbledon no longer exist and that is one of the reasons I say the EPL is not what it used to be... you can read here about them:

https://www.shortlist.com/news/the-story-of-wimbledons-crazy-gang

Maybe based on that you can pick a team you really like..

I have a friend who’s a big charlton athletic fan because they were somewhat successful 60 years ago ( and are red lol)
Probably wouldn't support any other big 6 club. Speaking of exciting young talent it's probably the Wolverhampton Wanderers, they also have the bonus of having a Mourinho disciple in Nuno as manager. Really appreciate the additional info though, it's stuff my dad keeps telling me about lol.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:15:27 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Any no nonsense clubs? I know I'm being a huge bandwagon here but I quit being a United fan after Jose got sacked. I don't care if the club isn't good, I just want to watch a club where people are trying their best.
Given that we are in a Celtics forum, I guess the obvious choices would be the Merseyside clubs (Everton, Liverpool) due to strong connections with Ireland or Man Utd (also strong connections with Ireland, prior to being renamed ''Manchester United'' they were considering the name ''Manchester Celtic'').

Outside of the Premier League, there is also Glasgow Celtic (Scottish team) and Celta Vigo (Spanish team from Galicia which is considered by some as the 7th Celtic nation). Celtic wears green and white (just like the Celtics). Celta wears light blue shirts and white shorts. 

As for the no-nonsense style of play, the Spurs under Pochettino are the epitome of a no-nonsense club these days. All the Mourinho teams are no-nonsense teams as well.
Thanks for the advice. As I said in the post above, I probably won't root for any big 6 club, too much of a bandwagon move to me imo, especially Liverpool since they're bitter rivals with United. Would also prefer a PL club since I can actually watch those games lol. Currently liking what I see from the Wolves but I'm unsure if jumping to the best team outside the top 6 last season is a non-bandwagon move.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 02:08:07 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I don't get it. I'm not going to complain, but I don't get it.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1158730714185121795?s=20

Arsenal are close to signing Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona on loan this season, per
@BilelGhazi
1-8-2 formation incoming lol. But how are you guys going to fund him and Pepe? I thought you guys operate on a self financing basis with annual profits being mandatory.

I don't know that myself.

The way I see it right now, the new Adidas kit deal, and the new Emirates Airlines kit deal would probably be where we would get some money from. We may have to sell Aubameyang after this season too.
True, you guys can probably afford a 70 million Pepe purchase and presumably a Countinho loan (probably around 30 million?) if you guys plan on making another deep Europa League run as well as selling a guy like Aubameyang for 70 million or more to China.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Arsenal are close to signing Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona on loan this season, per
@BilelGhazi
1-8-2 formation incoming lol. But how are you guys going to fund him and Pepe? I thought you guys operate on a self financing basis with annual profits being mandatory.

The way I see it right now, the new Adidas kit deal, and the new Emirates Airlines kit deal would probably be where we would get some money from. We may have to sell Aubameyang after this season too.
We really need a CB by Friday...  I don't think I can handle a year of Sokratis and Mustafi
Isn't Sokratis pretty good? I've watched him play and he's miles ahead of the CBs at United lol. Of course they've now bought fatass Maguire who's world class imo (only real weakness imo is his slow turns), but you guys can probably grab a decent CB to pair with Pasta.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

@BilelGhazi

We really need a CB by Friday...  I don't think I can handle a year of Sokratis and Mustafi
Isn't Sokratis pretty good? I've watched him play and he's miles ahead of the CBs at United lol. Of course they've now bought fatass Maguire who's world class imo (only real weakness imo is his slow turns), but you guys can probably grab a decent CB to pair with Pasta.
I won't claim to be an expert on the intricacies of what makes a world class Center back, but in watching Sokratis last year I thought he looked pretty washed.  I was excited about him initially, because I remember him being very good during the one off BvB matches that I'd watched in years past but for Arsenal I thought he looked slow, and got caught out of position a lot. 

Their defense on the whole was trash last year though, so I don't know how much was solely on any of the individuals vs. just being bad fit/poorly coached.

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Given that we are in a Celtics forum, I guess the obvious choices would be the Merseyside clubs (Everton, Liverpool) due to strong connections with Ireland or Man Utd (also strong connections with Ireland, prior to being renamed ''Manchester United'' they were considering the name ''Manchester Celtic'').

Outside of the Premier League, there is also Glasgow Celtic (Scottish team) and Celta Vigo (Spanish team from Galicia which is considered by some as the 7th Celtic nation). Celtic wears green and white (just like the Celtics). Celta wears light blue shirts and white shorts. 

As for the no-nonsense style of play, the Spurs under Pochettino are the epitome of a no-nonsense club these days. All the Mourinho teams are no-nonsense teams as well.
Thanks for the advice. As I said in the post above, I probably won't root for any big 6 club, too much of a bandwagon move to me imo, especially Liverpool since they're bitter rivals with United. Would also prefer a PL club since I can actually watch those games lol. Currently liking what I see from the Wolves but I'm unsure if jumping to the best team outside the top 6 last season is a non-bandwagon move.
Everton aren't considered a top 6 team. The top 6 are Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham (in random order). I guess Everton would be the 7th best team, but there's a big gap separating them from the 6th best team.

Chances are that Wolves aren't gonna sustain the same level of performances going forward. Historically they 've spent many seasons in the lower divisions. I like them a lot though too. 8)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:48:27 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 02:56:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The 2nd tier of the league looks exciting this season.

Leicester
Everton
West Ham
Wolves

maybe Bournemouth

Those 4 clubs all have strong squads. Excited for the top 3 more than Wolves. Wolves have been a party spoiler for the big teams but lackluster against the rest. The other 3 are more attacking sides. I prefer them.

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 03:05:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

@BilelGhazi

See, the problem here is I think the reason we are not getting a CB is because at some point, Rob Holding is going to return, and he was having a good stretch until the injury.

But yeah, we need another CB. We can't be running Mustafi again out there. Sokratis I can still tolerate.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 10:36:45 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

@BilelGhazi

See, the problem here is I think the reason we are not getting a CB is because at some point, Rob Holding is going to return, and he was having a good stretch until the injury.

But yeah, we need another CB. We can't be running Mustafi again out there. Sokratis I can still tolerate.
Is Kurt Zouma out of your price range?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 10:39:17 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Everton aren't considered a top 6 team. The top 6 are Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham (in random order). I guess Everton would be the 7th best team, but there's a big gap separating them from the 6th best team.

Chances are that Wolves aren't gonna sustain the same level of performances going forward. Historically they 've spent many seasons in the lower divisions. I like them a lot though too. 8)

True. I was talking more about Liverpool, but yeah Everton looks attractive. I do like the Wolves a lot, and they'll likely keep on breaking the trend due to new owners (rich Chinese organisation lol).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 11:27:49 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Sorry. I had to.  ;D

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 07:03:52 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Heartbroken that Chelsea have sold David Luiz. He has been our best defender since he arrived until the day he left. It was hard when we sold him to PSG a few years ago (for great money which eased the pain) but when he came back I thought David Luiz would play out the end of his (top level footie) career here. This sucks.

Update: Oh my god! Only £8million! I thought it was £20 million which I could at least understand for an older player. What a punch to the gut.

What a steal for Arsenal. Brilliant footballer.

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 07:51:08 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Am I missing something?? It doesn't make sense especially for such a fee

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2019, 10:46:43 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Heartbroken that Chelsea have sold David Luiz. He has been our best defender since he arrived until the day he left. It was hard when we sold him to PSG a few years ago (for great money which eased the pain) but when he came back I thought David Luiz would play out the end of his (top level footie) career here. This sucks.

Update: Oh my god! Only £8million! I thought it was £20 million which I could at least understand for an older player. What a punch to the gut.

What a steal for Arsenal. Brilliant footballer.

This was a nice cherry on top of our sundae. What a transfer window we are having this year.

And to think, the media reported we only had about £45 million to spend, and we landed two very promising young talent, Dani Ceballos, Keiran Tierney, Nicolas Pepe and David Luis. Excellent deal of business by the new board.

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 11:06:23 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Romelu Lukaku will leave Manchester United for Inter Millan.

So, is Marcus Rashford going to be the main striker for United now?