Author Topic: Chris Wilcox was supposed to be traded over collins.  (Read 7393 times)

Re: Chris Wilcox was supposed to be traded over collins.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 11:18:08 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
we lucked out. wilcox is so much better and brings more to the table. the only thing that stinks is that he is injury prone

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The difference between wilcox and collins is literally nothing in the grand scheme of how this team does in the post season.

Wilcox provides decent defense and an athletic rolling threat against larger 4s. This different look (from Green or Bass at the 4) is an asset in any format. Collins provided a missing defender against Lopez, not Hibbert (who isn't the game changer Lopez is).
Hibbert is no slouch.  Collins would be more helpful against Hibbert, Lopez, Howard etc than Wilcox.  As someone else said, this is just reality.  That said, OF COURSE Wilcox is the more talented player in that he actually can hit a midrange jumpshot.  However, JCraw is far more talented than either of them so the move was to upgrade overall talent and get younger.  Once Ainge sign another big man to replace Collins, this entire issue will be moot.

All that said, recent evidence suggests that Wilcox defends Howard better. Which goes in line with what I've said multiple times since last season, Wilcox has done a good job on Howard.

Also, let's not ignore the defensive impact Howard had because he didn't have to defend Collins. It really screwed us.

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Well, credit Wilcox for being smart enough to not agree to let the Celtics dump him in the cesspool known as the Washington Wizards.  Ainge probably wanted to include Wilcox over Collins because Chris tends to break down after playing a couple of games in a row. 

Wilcox seemed to play with a bit more pep against the sad sack Suns the other night.  Let's see if he can keep it up against a team with real NBA big men who give consistent effort, tonight in Portland. 

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Well, credit Wilcox for being smart enough to not agree to let the Celtics dump him in the cesspool known as the Washington Wizards.

He probably is desperate to get rid of the "title" of most regular season games by an active player without a playoff appearance.  He's come close a few times.  He was waived by the Celtics after his heart problem.  He was traded by the Clippers mid-season when they had a rare playoff appearance in 2006.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last vs the suns i was like who was that #44 jumping out of the gym??

So you almost get traded and now you wake up??

Wilcox imo is not a professional. The effort he was giving was equivalent to the salary he was receiving. He is lucky anyone even gave him min

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47:22 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Wilcox imo is not a professional. The effort he was giving was equivalent to the salary he was receiving. He is lucky anyone even gave him min

I think this is harsh. Lots of people were giving Green a pass early in the season—and rightfully so—because he was still coming back from open-heart surgery; well, Wilcox had the same surgery, only a few months later, so of course he's probably going to get back to form later than Green. Add the fact that Wilcox has battled a couple injuries, and that Doc has, for the most part, refused to give Chris consistent, significant minutes (5 minutes one night, 0 the next, etc.), and of course it's going to be virtually impossible for Wilcox to find his rhythm.

And yes, I agree that the threat of a trade probably helped motivate him against the Suns, but that's hardly the whole story.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 12:48:49 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Maybe you've missed him through the season, probably because Doc wasn't playing him.

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
FWIW, Collins played up to his potential and worked hard.

Wilcox has much more talent that Collins, but, in his career, I don't think he has played to his potential with any consistency.

I remember having him on a fantasy team a bunch of years ago and being a rebound/block guy.  It was short lived.

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Maybe you've missed him through the season, probably because Doc wasn't playing him.

Thing is, there was undoubtedly a reason.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Yes, Doc was a stubborn idiot. And Wilcox got injured.

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 01:19:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Collins was underrated, in my opinion. More than his stats.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 01:20:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Collins was horrible, and this is from someone who thought signing him was a good move.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Collins was horrible, and this is from someone who thought signing him was a good move.

He's a pro that knew the rotations and was almost always in the right place.

He could be counted on to be there, but also (due to talent) to not do anything special when he got there.

Solid 3rd center.

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Agree, but with Doc, who knows what that reason was?

Doc drove Darko out of town (man, we can surely use him now), and almost did the same with Wilcox. When they wouldn't take Melo, Doc had to be consulted as to who was going to the Wiz, Wilcox or Collins. Glad Doc didn't get his way.

Also, Wilcox's exercising his right not to be traded was a finacial one for him as much as it was a "where would you rather be?" type of thing.

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 01:37:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

He's a pro that knew the rotations and was almost always in the right place.

He could be counted on to be there, but also (due to talent) to not do anything special when he got there.

Solid 3rd center.

He's a player that should be at most 5th big in a rotation and I'm being generous), and 3rd center is already too big of a responsibility for a player like him. Doc has been using him since December as the first big off the bench too much to anyone's liking. Heck, even started him during a stretch.

He could be counted to do what exactly? His rotations weren't even that good. They were solid for the most part, but he was caught off position too often for someone with his limits who doesn't bring anything else to the table, and too slow to recover from whenever he made any sort of mistake.

The only thing I can say about him is that he boxed out better than any other big in our roster (well, since Sully went down), and even then players manage to grab rebounds off him with fair ease.

Don't have anything against the guy, as mentioned, was very much glad we had signed him, but it was with the assumption of his expected role. When Doc (in addition to injuries, and incomplete roster) forced a bigger role on him, then his usefulness went completely out of the window to the point that it was beginning to hurt this team.