Author Topic: The Consistency of Jayson Tatum  (Read 11293 times)

The Consistency of Jayson Tatum
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:49:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Tatum has scored at least 11 points for 8 games in a row. He's scored 11 points or more in 18 of his 21 games in the NBA. He's currently averaging 13.9 per game. For anyone, this is terrific consistency. For a 19 year old rookie, I think this is remarkable.

If he can keep this up through an entire season, I'll be in love forever.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: The Consistency of Jayson Tatum
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 10:57:49 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Tatum has scored at least 11 points for 8 games in a row. He's scored 11 points or more in 18 of his 21 games in the NBA. He's currently averaging 13.9 per game. For anyone, this is terrific consistency. For a 19 year old rookie, I think this is remarkable.

More remarkable still is his team defense - astonishing would be my word. Of all the mountains that rookies have to climb, this is the steepest. But Jayson plays defense like a vet.

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

You mean... he's a genius at... the Draft?!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

More remarkable still is his team defense - astonishing would be my word. Of all the mountains that rookies have to climb, this is the steepest. But Jayson plays defense like a vet.

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

More like, BRAD is a drafting genius. 

Danny made a genius coaching hire, and is a good enough leader to take his advise. 

We’ve been noticably better drafting since Stevens joined the brain-trust, no doubt about it.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

Danny made a genius coaching hire, and is a good enough leader to take his advise. 

We’ve been noticably better drafting since Stevens joined the brain-trust, no doubt about it.

Or perhaps Brad is just significantly better at developing young talent than Doc was.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

No, we’ve largely just had better and more draft picks since Stevens has been here.  In 4 drafts in the Stevens era, we’ve had two 1st round busts (Young and Hunter), an early 2nd that also failed (Mickey), and another 1st for whom the verdict is still out (Yabusele).  We’ve done well with all the top 10 picks, which is important, but we didn’t have those for the prior 8 or so years to compare to.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Stevens runs circles around Doc in all facets of coaching and developing players...it's not even close.

Doc's teams stay hurt because he doesn't develop young players. He relies too much on vets and they break down.

Tatum was an easy pick for me...he was the best, most polished player in the draft.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Stevens runs circles around Doc in all facets of coaching and developing players...it's not even close.

Doc's teams stay hurt because he doesn't develop young players. He relies too much on vets and they break down.

Tatum was an easy pick for me...he was the best, most polished player in the draft.
I give lots of credit to you and Danny. If I had been in charge I probably would've taken Fultz and called it day. Now it looks like Danny might've gotten the best player in the draft and an extra lottery pick for his trouble. Amazing.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

Hate to rain on your parade, but Brad may have been the deciding factor for taking KO over GA in 2013 draft, as BS told Danny that Butler could not stop him, and spoke highly of him. Of course we will never know, and in all fairness, it was Danny's decision, not Brad's, but there is that possible influence.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

Hate to rain on your parade, but Brad may have been the deciding factor for taking KO over GA in 2013 draft, as BS told Danny that Butler could not stop him, and spoke highly of him. Of course we will never know, and in all fairness, it was Danny's decision, not Brad's, but there is that possible influence.

Brad also wasn’t hired as a coach until a full week after the draft, and the Celtics had been in their coaching search for only a couple of days prior to the draft.  It’s highly unlikely that Stevens had any influence on that pick aside from the scouting department asking college coaches for information, which happens every year.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 12:12:13 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

No, we’ve largely just had better and more draft picks since Stevens has been here.  In 4 drafts in the Stevens era, we’ve had two 1st round busts (Young and Hunter), an early 2nd that also failed (Mickey), and another 1st for whom the verdict is still out (Yabusele).  We’ve done well with all the top 10 picks, which is important, but we didn’t have those for the prior 8 or so years to compare to.

What I find more impressive with Stevens was his ability to look past Kris Dunn & Markelle Fultz, guys that nearly every b-ball pundit had pegged for stardom.

Two years straight the C’s bucked the basketball world taking guys at 3 that basicly no one else even had in their top 5.   

And they nailed both picks in fabulous fashion. 

To me, those two decisions are more impactful, and showed more skill of evaluation than any of Danny’s other drafts.  As we all know, picking in the middle is a gamble, but top 5 is different.  Being able to reach back for Brown and Tatum while avoiding busts like Fultz and Dunn, in spots where they are expected to yield a cornerstone, should be given extra credit when we look back and compare year over year.

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

What I find more impressive with Stevens was his ability to look past Kris Dunn & Markelle Fultz, guys that nearly every b-ball pundit had pegged for stardom.

Two years straight the C’s bucked the basketball world taking guys at 3 that basicly no one else even had in their top 5.   

And they nailed both picks in fabulous fashion. 

To me, those two decisions are more impactful, and showed more skill of evaluation than any of Danny’s other drafts.  As we all know, picking in the middle is a gamble, but top 5 is different.  Being able to reach back for Brown and Tatum while avoiding busts like Fultz and Dunn, in spots where they are expected to yield a cornerstone, should be given extra credit when we look back and compare year over year.

There is no evidence that Ainge would have picked neither Brown nor Tatum if Stevens were not the coach.  Particularly this year, Stevens was less involved in the draft process because the Celtics were in the playoffs into late May.  The Celtics have a large staff to handle scouting for the draft, and the decision is ultimately Ainge’s.  Stevens certainly has a voice in the process, and while it may be an important voice, it’s not the most important.

I think Brad is a tremendous coach, but saying he is responsible for the drafts is exaggerated, at best.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

Hunter was not a first round bust. He basically did what you’d expect from the 25th pick in a shallow draft. Though he was bad, he only really parted the Celtics early because of our abundance of picks.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

Hunter was not a first round bust. He basically did what you’d expect from the 25th pick in a shallow draft. Though he was bad, he only really parted the Celtics early because of our abundance of picks.

When you’re out of the league one year after being a 1st round pick, you’re a bust.  Period.  If he got cut and latched on somewhere, even on the back of the roster, that could be an excuse of a roster crunch.  But that he hasn’t says that he was simply a bad pick.  Especially now that two-way players exist.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

Or perhaps Brad is just significantly better at developing young talent than Doc was.
or perhpas since the celtics have been picking at the number 3 spot, it makes it easier to draft good players than drafting in the teens or 20s, as ainge often had to do earlier.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva