Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 959918 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1860 on: May 10, 2013, 12:18:06 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
oblivion.....it was awesome (although my little lady HATED it).  unique, original, and good plot twists.  im a sci-fi sucker
Totally agree ... original, intense, amazing CGI, solid story and acting ... loved it!

Can't wait for Ender's Game, (looking forward to Into Darkness and World War Z as well).

I saw the Enders game trailer, and got the sneaking suspicion that it was going to absolutely suck. This is coming from a person who believes Speaker For The Dead is the most perfect science fiction book ever written, and a guy who has been waiting for an ender's game movie longer than he'd been wanting to kiss girls. The book is a defining moment for me in my growth as a human being.

And it looked like they turned it into a CGI slopfest pseudo-action movie.
That would indeed suck ... one of my favorite books of all time, all genres included, (tho I'm an admitted sci-fi freak), and a book that changed my entire outlook on fiction, (set a new standard, I should say).

Granted, I would never expect the movie to compare with the book, (that would be setting up for a major let-down, as is usually the case IMO), but it would also be difficult to not turn such a masterpiece into something with some major substance and teeth.

Man, I hope you're wrong. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1861 on: May 10, 2013, 01:03:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Me too. Don't get me wrong, Im gonna watch it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1862 on: May 10, 2013, 04:46:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I just saw "The Great Gatsby", old sport.  It's not for everyone, old sport. Baz Luhrmann has a really distinct style, old sport. If you hated "Moulin Rouge", you'd probably hate this one, old sport... it's an odd film, but I enjoyed it for the most part... as much as one can enjoy seeing a borderline ridiculous souped up hyper-glamorous version of the roaring 20s set to Jay-Z music, old sport. 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:51:22 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #1863 on: May 10, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Iron Man 3 was perhaps the best Iron Man movie, IMHO...if u haven't seen it yet, do it!

HulkBuster Armor is AWESOME....I wish they could've incorporated it in the Avengers movie..."Hulk Vs Iron Man" or something.

Movie has plenty of twists, too...not all is at is seems....keeps u in your seats.
I enjoyed Iron Man 3 as well.  Totally can tell it's a Shane Black film (Lethal Weapon, Last Action Hero, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang).

I gotta say that main "twist" was painfully obvious, though.  I immediately leaned over to my girlfriend and correctly guessed where they were going with it.  It might be because I'm a video editor by trade and something felt fishy... or it might be the fact that I've seen some variation of that same twist played out in a bunch of other movies/shows.  I also think the trailer gave it away... You'lll tottaallly seee it cooomming.  That said, it was all kinds of fun.  I didn't mind it at all.

Interesting that a lot of fans of the comic are really peeved about the direction they took the movie.  I was never a big fan of the Iron Man comic... so to me it was just pure fun.  I'd recommend it for sure.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:08:35 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #1864 on: May 10, 2013, 05:04:12 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
oblivion.....it was awesome (although my little lady HATED it).  unique, original, and good plot twists.  im a sci-fi sucker
Oblivion was solid.  It was another movie I felt was a little predictable.  I saw all the twists coming and partially that is because it borrowed so heavily from so many other sci fi films.  Some might say it suffered a bit from that... like they were just throwing in every random sci fi convention they could think of.  Star Trek, Independence Day, The Matrix, Moon, Wall-E ... it seemed like it was ripping off every idea they could think of.  But really, I think you can spin that in a positive way as well.  "Looper" was awesome... "Looper" ripped off a ton of movies, but with "Looper" it got a pass and everyone said it was merely "referencing" those movies (such as Terminator).  Why doesn't Oblivion get the same pass?  Feels like it was unfairly criticized. 

My girlfriend and I both enjoyed it.  Not great, but solid sci fi.  Also deserves bonus points for having M83 do the soundtrack.  I love their music.

« Reply #1865 on: May 10, 2013, 05:59:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That would indeed suck ... one of my favorite books of all time, all genres included, (tho I'm an admitted sci-fi freak), and a book that changed my entire outlook on fiction, (set a new standard, I should say).

Granted, I would never expect the movie to compare with the book, (that would be setting up for a major let-down, as is usually the case IMO), but it would also be difficult to not turn such a masterpiece into something with some major substance and teeth.

Man, I hope you're wrong. ;)

Clearly you've missed out on the absolute masterpiece that is the 1979 version of Gatsby with Robert Redford as Jay himself.

And by 'missed out' and 'absolute masterpiece' I mean don't look it up. You'll only end up hurting yourself.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1866 on: May 11, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »

Kiorrik

« Reply #1867 on: May 11, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Just watched "The Cabin In The Woods". I'm late to the party here, but this movie is an absolute masterpiece. Its a gift for everyone; horror buffs, comedy fans, Whedon fanatics, and most of all the unemployed actors from "Dollhouse".

Seriously, this movie is nothing short of brilliant. To highlight how awesome this movie is, I went and found a bad review on rottentomatoes. It wasn't easy to come by, the movie's rotten tomatoes score was 92%.

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/film-clip-the-cabin-in/content?oid=5763304

This is the most idiotic review I've ever seen for a movie. Saying he 'missed the point' is like saying Columbus 'missed India by a hair'.

If you haven't watched this film, ditch your plans for tonight, and go watch it.

EDIT: Unless your plans are to be Batman. Always be Batman.

« Reply #1868 on: May 17, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I saw Star Trek 2 on Wednesday... or "Star Trek: Into the Darkness", I guess it's called.

Tons of fun.  Really liked it.  I never watched the old TV show or any of the old movies, but over the past month I watched the original Star Trek II, III and IV for the first time on Netflix. 

I'm glad I watched those.  This Star Trek 2 has a lot in common with Star Trek II (which apparently most fans see as the best of the original films).  For fans of the shows/movies, they'll probably get a kick out of how certain events in this alternate-universe Star Trek mirror the "prime universe"  Shatner/Nemoy version.

Non-Fans will love it as well.  Fast paced... lots of action... definitely worth seeing in the theater.

« Reply #1869 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Saw both Iron Man 3 and Star Trek 2 in the last couple of weeks and both are worth seeing.  Lots of action, good stories, solid acting, etc.  Not sure which one I would pick if I had to choose 1, but both are solid. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1870 on: May 20, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

« Reply #1871 on: May 20, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just watched "The Cabin In The Woods". I'm late to the party here, but this movie is an absolute masterpiece. Its a gift for everyone; horror buffs, comedy fans, Whedon fanatics, and most of all the unemployed actors from "Dollhouse".

Seriously, this movie is nothing short of brilliant. To highlight how awesome this movie is, I went and found a bad review on rottentomatoes. It wasn't easy to come by, the movie's rotten tomatoes score was 92%.

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/film-clip-the-cabin-in/content?oid=5763304

This is the most idiotic review I've ever seen for a movie. Saying he 'missed the point' is like saying Columbus 'missed India by a hair'.

If you haven't watched this film, ditch your plans for tonight, and go watch it.

EDIT: Unless your plans are to be Batman. Always be Batman.

Yeah, it was a lot of fun.  I went into it spoiler-free, expecting a typical horror flick.  I was pleasantly surprised.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1872 on: May 20, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Had a classic movie watchers weekend with 40 year old virgin and the hangover. Both still as hilarious, and even more hilarious with each watch.

Looking forward to see Gatsby this week sometime despite mixed reviews.

« Reply #1873 on: May 20, 2013, 12:47:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Silver Linings Playbook with the wife.  There was too much of characters yelling over each other, especially early on, and just about anything that advanced the plot was horribly contrived, but it was pretty enjoyable overall, and it led to me developing the Silver Linings Playbook guide to dealing with psychological issues:

1. Be attractive.
2. Don't be unattractive.
3. Find the worst therapist possible, for that crucial mix of deliberate provocation and enabling.
4. Randomly cross paths with someone else attractive and not unattractive who also has mental issues. 
5. Do everything in your power to drive that person away.  It'll totally work out!

« Reply #1874 on: May 20, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Watched it twice, so entertaining.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace